Metal Detectors To Now Be In Use In Gampel | The Boneyard

Metal Detectors To Now Be In Use In Gampel

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah, what with all the previous attacks using knives and guns that would have been stopped... ? Amazing that they've managed to have these games for decades with no issue.

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Post/handle

Reaction Score
There's good and bad to all.
This is no different.

At some point they will have the technology to track us completely - they are close now. There will also be drones and bots and every manner of device that can track us, watch us, stop us.

They can put them everywhere.

Your car will be able to autonomously stop and trap you.
Your phone will report you.
A drone will monitor you for aberrant behavior.

Eventually we'll all be as safe as a hominid can be.

Think about the Rick and Morty episode with the Pills - galactic federation takes over.

If you want to be completely safe, then you're Jerry.
If you want everybody to be armed and free to shoot people, you're Rick.
Today, you have a choice.

In 30 or so years, we'll all be Jerrys, want it or not.

Reaction Score
This is no different.

At some point they will have the technology to track us completely - they are close now. There will also be drones and bots and every manner of device that can track us, watch us, stop us.

Think about the Rick and Morty episode with the Pills - galactic federation takes over.

Cool

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would anyone care?

Reaction Score
I thought UConn was a gun free zone. You tell'n me someone might not obey the gun free zone signs?
Why not metal detectors at all entrances to the campus. Is it ok to shoot'em up outside of Gampel but not inside?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would anyone care?

I wouldn’t say I care but increasing the wait to get in while getting no real safety benefit is less than ideal.

It’s as if the goal is to make attending events difficult enough that everyone just finally stays home.

C

Chief00

I wouldn’t say I care but increasing the wait to get in while getting no real safety benefit is less than ideal.

It’s as if the goal is to make attending events difficult enough that everyone just finally stays home.
In CT I sense we are reaching the tipping point on a few things now. If things are run efficiently no big deal and it’s perhaps a deterrent in perception if not in reality. Yet, that has not been our XL experience. The barriers or annoyances of increasing costs and inconvenient waits (remember the AZ game and the NCAA tournament) will eventually win out. You can’t keep tipping the scale with your thumb after one side hits the table - it can’t go any further.

Reaction Score
This is no different.

Check out the Kinks song from the early 80s. Paranoia. Great tune.

Reaction Score
Yeah, what with all the previous attacks using knives and guns that would have been stopped... ? Amazing that they've managed to have these games for decades with no issue.

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Are you out of your friggin' mind? A problem that doesn't exist??? A public place gets shot up almost every other day. Our star football player #6 Jazz Howard got stabbed to death right outside of a public event on our campus.

I go to a lot of pro games, if it's run right it takes 2 minutes at the most.

I'm guessing Deadrody and Cranky-Franky Ivy aren't venturing too far off their spot in the woods.

Reaction Score
Are you out of your friggin' mind? A problem that doesn't exist??? A public place gets shot up almost every other day. Our star football player #6 Jazz Howard got stabbed to death right outside of a public event on our campus.

I go to a lot of pro games, if it's run right it takes 2 minutes at the most.

I'm guessing Deadrody and Cranky-Franky Ivy aren't venturing too far off their spot in the woods.

This is priceless. You have contended that Hartford is perfectly safe but you’re supporting metal detectors in Storrs, CT. Thanks for the LOLZ.

Reaction Score
Of course someone makes this dumb take.
Yup. We’re one nut away from a mass shooting and they continue to generally trend up year over year over the past 20 years. We just ran a large active shooter exercise in unnamed university arena. Metal detectors help, but they can be defeated with some ease through several strategies. The single biggest factor in saving lives is speed to engagement and treating wounded and getting them to trauma centers. The most important thing they could do is improve communications and coordination.... less glamorous... but shown to be the single biggest cause of poor or delayed response in every major event.

Reaction Score
It’s really disturbing what is happening. I literally think about my kids in school and think “what if” on a daily basis. I don’t think metal detectors are something to criticize. Just another small layer of hope.

Reaction Score
In CT I sense we are reaching the tipping point on a few things now. If things are run efficiently no big deal and it’s perhaps a deterrent in perception if not in reality. Yet, that has not been our XL experience. The barriers or annoyances of increasing costs and inconvenient waits (remember the AZ game and the NCAA tournament) will eventually win out. You can’t keep tipping the scale with your thumb after one side hits the table - it can’t go any further.

The NCAA tournament issue was on the NCAA, not the XL Center. Even casual fans saw it coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom