Messi joining MLS; Inter Miami, salary $200m a year | The Boneyard

Messi joining MLS; Inter Miami, salary $200m a year

Reaction Score
I don't understand but whatever.

Also I think MLS should just do what NASL did and blow the roof off with big signings of players in their prime.

Reaction Score
I don't understand but whatever.

Also I think MLS should just do what NASL did and blow the roof off with big signings of players in their prime.

Retirement league.

I wish we could blow up the MLS structure. Get rid of single entity (which is modeled after powder puff football leagues and roller derby).

In order for the league to get any mainstream popularity and a national following it needs a compelling story.

It needs superclubs and promotion and relegation. Nobody else here has Pro/Rel.

Reaction Score
Not official as far as I can tell but pretty close! Does this move the needle for Soccer in the US?

It’s silly. Soccer is plenty popular here. MLS is not.

The question is whether it moves the needle for MLS here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s silly. Soccer is plenty popular here. MLS is not.

The question is whether it moves the needle for MLS here.
MLS has done a good job of presenting themselves as the face of American soccer to the non-fan. It's a pathetic league that really doesn't understand futbol.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Retirement league.

I wish we could blow up the MLS structure. Get rid of single entity (which is modeled after powder puff football leagues and roller derby).

In order for the league to get any mainstream popularity and a national following it needs a compelling story.

It needs superclubs and promotion and relegation. Nobody else here has Pro/Rel.
I agree fully that in order to become a true, major soccer league the MLS needs to behave like a true, major soccer league and until promotion/relegation and tiered levels of leagues are part if it MLS will be major in name only.

The thing is the league uses franchise fees as a revenue source (has since pretty much day one). They can't charge these ridiculous fees with the potential buyers knowing their new club most likely will be facing relegation out of the gate.

Reaction Score
This has been talked about for a long time. The advantage for Messi is that lifting his profile in America will be very lucrative and establish him as a true global icon. Smart move. He will be much more popular than the MLS. Just as Beckhum was. But bigger I suspect.

Reaction Score
This has been talked about for a long time. The advantage for Messi is that lifting his profile in America will be very lucrative and establish him as a true global icon. Smart move. He will be much more popular than the MLS. Just as Beckhum was. But bigger I suspect.

The last couple names that played in MLS basically mailed it in and cashed their checks.

I saw Beckham play once with Landon Donoham (spelling incorrect on purpose) I was surprised to see that he actually seemed to give a .

Reaction Score
I agree fully that in order to become a true, major soccer league the MLS needs to behave like a true, major soccer league and until promotion/relegation and tiered levels of leagues are part if it MLS will be major in name only.

The thing is the league uses franchise fees as a revenue source (has since pretty much day one). They can't charge these ridiculous fees with the potential buyers knowing their new club most likely will be facing relegation out of the gate.

It’s essentially a pyramid scheme. I’m fully aware of the barriers to pro/rel but it’s not like they can expand to 50.

At some point the bubble is going to pop.

Reaction Score
I'm binging season 3 of Ted Lasso right now. When I saw this headline, all I can think of is ZAVA!

Start planting the Avacodo .trees and planning the retirement party.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was inevitable for Messi to play in the USA and in either, NYC, LA or Miami. It will increase ticket costs which is not a good thing.
Now on to other soccer news and play please.

Reaction Score

MLS needs to take this opportunity and transform. Open up the salary cap a bit, allow the clubs that are willing to spend to make “super clubs” so that that they can actually have a national brand.

The Single Entity aspect and the obsession with parity has kept the league pretty vanilla. Also having so many teams dilutes the talent pool because per federation rules a certain amount of roster spots have to go to “home grown” American players for developmental reasons.

I think that they need to move away from that a bit. The better American players will benefit from playing against higher quality on their own soil.

And American fans who are far more knowledgeable than they get credit for will be attracted by a higher standard of play.

College soccer ain’t it anymore and won’t be until it is professionalized. By the time you are 21 you should be an established professional. There are exceptions like goalkeeper which is the only position where raw athleticism can compensate for a lack of technique. And Keepers everywhere mature at a different rate than outfield players.

Reaction Score
It was inevitable for Messi to play in the USA and in either, NYC, LA or Miami. It will increase ticket costs which is not a good thing.
Now on to other soccer news and play please.
Soccer tickets are already super expensive in some markets. It's really a big investment to go see Toronto FC for one afternoon.

On the other hand, I have friends who are season tickets holders for the Revs. Talk about a cheap date. Jeez. Practically nothing. They always hit up the same Mexican restaurant on the way to the stadium. Nice way to spend a few hours on a warm summer night.

Reaction Score

You think playing in the MLS is what’s going to make one of the most famous athletes in the history of planet earth a global icon?

Reaction Score
You think playing in the MLS is what’s going to make one of the most famous athletes in the history of planet earth a global icon?

Yeah, he has already had more publicity in American in the last few days then he has had in the last few years. This will definitely lift his image in the world's leading economy. He can't get any more famous in Europe or South America. This is a very smart move. Getting famous in America has always been an important step in global image. Think Beatles.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Messi has never given a crap about the USA before. I respect that about him. This is just about maximizing revenues without having to live in the desert.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what he thinks. He is likely neurodivergent which helps him to be an exceptional player.

Reaction Score
Messi has never given a crap about the USA before. I respect that about him. This is just about maximizing revenues without having to live in the desert.

Ronaldo could only take a year in that hellhole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom