Message to Uconn AD from one remaining football fan... | The Boneyard

Message to Uconn AD from one remaining football fan...

Reaction Score
It's over... This game of selling fans that the AD at Uconn is committed to football, committed to competing at the highest level is officially over. It's become abundantly clear that Uconn's treatment of its football program is exactly what Uconn athletics isn't. Being a Uconn fan means the expectation of competing with the best and winning a fair share. Let's be honest... Uconn FB isn't winning, isn't competing, and isn't even close to a path to get there.

When the basketball program was in a clear slide under Ollie, the program went and made a strong move to get the right coach. Note that this wasn't a CT high school coach, wasn't a value coach we could get on the cheap, or some retread that was clearly going through the motions just to collect a check. We hired the best coach available. One that has proven to win wherever he goes. One that has re-built programs, can recruit, and has serious connections. Nothing is guaranteed, but we all know however this turns, Hurley was the right choice.

How can the same AD pull that move off for BB and still be fumbling so badly with football? Admittedly, we were all so excited by the Diaco move. Award winning coach, coming from ND, said all the right things. What wasn't to like? Nobody thought Diaco's tenure would peak at his welcome press conference. But even that move was questionable because most didn't even have Diaco on the radar. Per Warde, Diaco was the top choice, the only choice. But was he?

The statements regarding Uconn's commitment ring hollow now. The actions, the decisions, and the current status are the real indicators. Hiring HCRE for a hometown discount was a weak move regardless of how you feel about him. Going cheap on the coaching staff is weak. Marrying these moves with what one could say is the worst program in FBS is a disaster. And now, going cheap and playing the next man up for the OC position? After the airing of the financial woes and the HC paying an asst coach out of his own pocket? If there were a script on how to destroy a program and alienate the fans, the Uconn AD is following it to a 'T'.

Please Mr Benedict, tell me how as a fan I should support a program that you and the University don't. Give me something! Something to say this program isn't dead and that I should spend my time, my money, and my passion on it. Over the past 6-7 years, given everything that has happened, the blow-out losses, the coaching carousel, the demotion to G5. And yet, you still have fans buying tickets. I don't buy season tickets anymore. I don't come to as many games. But I sure would like to. Give me a reason other than the lip service. Imagine if you Uconn both feet in for football.

The program is at a crossroad. We all know that if Uconn can't compete in the AAC, it certainly can't compete in the Big10 or the ACC. Either commit to competing in football and give the program the necessary resources or kill it.

This half in approach isn't working...

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
This is an inside job to end football. The AD hired Edsall back to finally kill the football program.

We can expect a move to the Big East in all sports and football to vanish or move down divisions.

Reaction Score
This is brutal. Are you reading tea leaves, entrails, or a Scientology textbook?

The recency bias is so prevalent when folks analyze UConn football. It isn't dead...not yet.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why is OP getting flack? He wants UConn to spend more money to hire/retain good coaches. We've lost our last 2 good OCs to lateral or worse moves because we're way too cheap. It's very hard to justify penny pinching in the one and only sport that can, hopefully!, bring more money to the school/AD and become self-sustaining. We don't penny pinch basketball - nor should we - but it makes absolutely zero sense why we continue to penny pinch football, especially given the results of the last 8+ seasons and the potential financial payoff that comes from playing football.

If we were located in Florida or Texas or California or even somewhere in the mid-Atlantic, we could penny pinch and find talented 2/3-star recruits to come in and play at a high level. But we can't do that here in the northeast. The program needs credibility in the worst possible way right now and that means we need to find the money and the will to strap up our big boys and girls pants and bring in a high quality FBS staff.

Comparing the NFL to NCAAF is silly but, I think, in this particular case, the comparison can be justified. The Patriots were the NFL's afterthought franchise for decades. They hopped from dumpy football venue to dumpy football venue and struggled mightily to sell tickets. The franchise went through recycled coach after recycled coach. One year, the franchise tried its luck with a hot-shot college coach. To nobody's surprise, the franchise continued to flounder. Then the Patriots did the smart thing: they hired Bill Parcells. Along with Parcells came instant credibility and, also to nobody's surprise, much better results. Bill Parcells' staff included Bill Belichick and this is where Kraft and Belichick began their relationship. The Patriots went from NFL afterthought franchise to building a self-sustaining stadium and entertainment plaza while becoming the most dominant dynasty in NFL history. And it all started when Bob Kraft had enough of losing and ponied up the capital to bring in a top coach and staff.

Make no mistake, UConn isn't hiring Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick. I know that. We all know that. But why can't we hire Les Miles? Kansas is FAR from being a football behemoth. Why can't we hire Dana Holgerson away from WVU? Houston is operating with the same financial handicaps that we do. Why can't we lure an offensive coordinator away from another AAC school (who operates with much less money than we do)?

We need credibility now more than ever just like the Patriots needed it when they hired Parcells. We wouldn't just be hiring a particular coach, we would be hiring a particular coaching tree. I have no idea if Les Miles will win at Kansas. Even less of an idea whether or not Holgerson will win at Houston. It doesn't matter. Both schools received an instant boost of credibility after both hires. Both schools also now have access to highly successful coaching trees in the sport. Maybe one of Miles' assistants eventually takes over at Kansas, much like Belichick at New England, or Dana's assistants eventually does the same at Houston. If we can't fend off friggin' SMU or the New York Jets (!), then what is the point??

This is an industry that relationships matter. Right now, our reputation is that of being a cheap, miser losing program that is completely content with fielding the worst product in the history of the sport. For a school that runs a P5 level AD budget on G5 resources and has the largest fanbase (located in the country's largest population pocket), that is completely unacceptable. We have to spend and fully commit to spending some goddam money on football right now. Go out and dive into a successful coaching tree and pay the necessary money to retain talented assistants and do it now before the ACC invites Cincinnati and the Big 12 backfills with every AAC school except us.

Reaction Score
Why can't we hire Dana Holgerson away from WVU? Houston is operating with the same financial handicaps that we do.

Sorry D - not to knitpick your point but Houston is not operating w/ the same financial handicap that we do... they have Uncle Fertitta and we don’t.

UConn/AD has seemingly failed to cultivate any more of the Burton/Shenkmans of the world (not including the recent Fraser $1m donation due to the Edsall relationship).

Reaction Score
I think it's time for me to quit this message board. It's become counseling sessions on here. If I come back and post, remind me that I quit here!

Reaction Score
Sorry D - not to knitpick your point but Houston is not operating w/ the same financial handicap that we do... they have Uncle Fertitta and we don’t.

UConn/AD has seemingly failed to cultivate any more of the Burton/Shenkmans of the world (not including the recent Fraser $1m donation due to the Edsall relationship).
This is the issue. Connecticut which is a very wealthy state and UConn has had much athletic success, yet, people haven't stepped up to donate. We should be generating $15 to $20 million per year in donations to the athletic department, about double or triple what we generate today.

Reaction Score
When the basketball program was in a clear slide under Ollie, the program went and made a strong move to get the right coach. Note that this wasn't a CT high school coach, wasn't a value coach we could get on the cheap, or some retread that was clearly going through the motions just to collect a check. We hired the best coach available. One that has proven to win wherever he goes. One that has re-built programs, can recruit, and has serious connections. Nothing is guaranteed, but we all know however this turns, Hurley was the right choice.

How can the same AD pull that move off for BB and still be fumbling so badly with football? Admittedly, we were all so excited by the Diaco move. Award winning coach, coming from ND, said all the right things. What wasn't to like? Nobody thought Diaco's tenure would peak at his welcome press conference. But even that move was questionable because most didn't even have Diaco on the radar. Per Warde, Diaco was the top choice, the only choice. But was he?

I don't disagree with all of your post, but it's not that complicated why UConn basketball can go out and hire the best coach available and UConn football can not. Money is only a small part of that

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with all of your post, but it's not that complicated why UConn basketball can go out and hire the best coach available and UConn football can not. Money is only a small part of that
Not saying you are wrong. Curious to hear other factors.

Reaction Score
This is the issue. Connecticut which is a very wealthy state and UConn has had much athletic success, yet, people haven't stepped up to donate. We should be generating $15 to $20 million per year in donations to the athletic department, about double or triple what we generate today.
I have many UConn friends who are extremely wealthy and they LOVE UCONN. They think it’s a big deal to donate a couple of thousand dollars to the university. It’s really kind of a joke

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn football will have a hard time improving as will all the other sports while DB is at the helm
Herbst is thankfully going
The new president has to clean house within the AD - it starts at the top
DH probably wasn't the best available but most likely the best fit

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gang - it’s simple really. Edsal’s buyout is 0 in December 2019. Whatever happens - happens this year and then we have wide open options in December. Maybe we see a donor step up then.

Reaction Score
This is an inside job to end football. The AD hired Edsall back to finally kill the football program.

We can expect a move to the Big East in all sports and football to vanish or move down divisions.

Good lord! I hope this was a poor attempt at humor.

Reaction Score
1) Sell the Rent to the Mohegans
2) Slap a roof on it (they have the cash)
3) Rename it ‘The HuskyDome’
4) Profit

Reaction Score

Agreed 100%. For such a wealthy state, we dot not generate the amount of $ in private donations that we should be generating.

I believe there has been a push to tap into the wealth of lower Fairfield County, but not sure if that has been (or will) work. I believe there has been a disconnect between UConn and that part of the state for quite some time. Anyone agree?

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, there are quite of few inside the state leadership mafia that are looking to return UConn to FCS level. Trust me, this is not a speculative statement. The program is in more jeopardy than it may appear on the surface. Neither AD Dave not Edsall want to strangle the program. But, others do and are actively bending ears.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, there are quite of few inside the state leadership mafia that are looking to return UConn to FCS level. Trust me, this is not a speculative statement. The program is in more jeopardy than it may appear on the surface. Neither AD Dave not Edsall want to strangle the program. But, others do and are actively bending ears.

makes perfect sense. fcs is the dumbest move they can make.

Reaction Score
It's over... This game of selling fans that the AD at Uconn is committed to football, committed to competing at the highest level is officially over. It's become abundantly clear that Uconn's treatment of its football program is exactly what Uconn athletics isn't. Being a Uconn fan means the expectation of competing with the best and winning a fair share. Let's be honest... Uconn FB isn't winning, isn't competing, and isn't even close to a path to get there.

The statements regarding Uconn's commitment ring hollow now. The actions, the decisions, and the current status are the real indicators. Hiring HCRE for a hometown discount was a weak move regardless of how you feel about him. Going cheap on the coaching staff is weak. Marrying these moves with what one could say is the worst program in FBS is a disaster. And now, going cheap and playing the next man up for the OC position? After the airing of the financial woes and the HC paying an asst coach out of his own pocket? If there were a script on how to destroy a program and alienate the fans, the Uconn AD is following it to a 'T'.

Please Mr Benedict, tell me how as a fan I should support a program that you and the University don't. Give me something! Something to say this program isn't dead and that I should spend my time, my money, and my passion on it. Over the past 6-7 years, given everything that has happened, the blow-out losses, the coaching carousel, the demotion to G5. And yet, you still have fans buying tickets. I don't buy season tickets anymore. I don't come to as many games. But I sure would like to. Give me a reason other than the lip service. Imagine if you Uconn both feet in for football.

The program is at a crossroad. We all know that if Uconn can't compete in the AAC, it certainly can't compete in the Big10 or the ACC. Either commit to competing in football and give the program the necessary resources or kill it.

I for one was not "thrilled" by the Diaco move. He was saying all the right things but Pasqualoni said all the right things. My attitude was show me. He didn't. First time head coaches are always a gamble. Show me.

I understand the Edsall move. When you are in a hole, the first job is to stop digging. Hiring Edsall was an understandable attempt to stabilize the program. Instead, Edsall decided to tear the program to the ground. Horrible move. Awful move. He took years of mediocrity and turned them into despair. I'm sure that is NOT what he promised in the job interview.

One of the worst blows to the football team was delivered by the basketball team. Its descent into loserville reflected on the entire university. Our reputation as a winning university had been a selling point for UConn. With both the basketball and football teams sucking we looked like Rutgers -without the B10 paycheck or schedule.

So I wouldn't be so quick to blame Benedict. He probably could have run away. He deserves a couple more years to see if he can right the ship. He's trying. But it's getting to be time where he needs to be succeeding. So as the one remaining fan who is renewing his season tickets. Don't give up Mr. Benedict your best days are ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

100% agree with this post

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Gang - it’s simple really. Edsal’s buyout is 0 in December 2019. Whatever happens - happens this year and then we have wide open options in December. Maybe we see a donor step up then.

At that point it's done. Pack it in and say farewell

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So I wouldn't be so quick to blame Benedict. He probably could have run away. He deserves a couple more years to see if he can right the ship. He's trying. But it's getting to be time where he needs to be succeeding. So as the one remaining fan who is renewing his season tickets. Don't give up Mr. Benedict your best days are ahead.

The DB out stuff is because he's given every indication he wants out, not that people are expecting him to be fired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom