Message Sent | The Boneyard

Message Sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diaco channeled his inner Jim Calhoun to Newosme today.

Newsome screwed up on a run play early in the game by going right when the play was designed to go left. Hardly saw him again after that.

The message was similar to a JC quick yank in Nov/Dec. None of us know the inner workings of the team.

What I do know is that #22 on offense is one of the few players who can match up against any program athletically and with his playmaking ability. In spite of that, Diaco put his arse on the bench almost entirely the rest of the way.

Message sent. Concentration and execution matter. This team will play in the margins the rest of the season going forward. Mental mistakes have consequences. Next man up.

Reaction Score

Newsome screwed up on a run play early in the game by going right when the play was designed to go left. Hardly saw him again after that.

The message was similar to a JC quick yank in Nov/Dec. None of us know the inner workings of the team.

What I do know is that #22 on offense is one of the few players who can match up against any program athletically and with his playmaking ability. In spite of that, Diaco put his arse on the bench almost entirely the rest of the way.

Message sent. Concentration and execution matter. This team will play in the margins the rest of the season going forward. Mental mistakes have consequences. Next man up.
While that's true and I'm sure accounted for a chunk of the reason why his touches were so limited, it was pretty clear we weren't going to be able to run much on MU's line. While holding back the empty backfield until the last drive was a JC-esque 2nd half press kind of move, I wonder a bit if it would've been better to unleash it a drive or two sooner in the 4th quarter. Perhaps that would've opened some opportunities for Newsome or one of the other RBs to get some space to run or as receivers in the flats or in the dink and dunk area.

Reaction Score

The message was similar to a JC quick yank in Nov/Dec. .

Not so sure of that or whether there was an attempt to send a "message"... Newsome was hardly seen after he got trucked on the failed screen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not so sure of that or whether there was an attempt to send a "message"... Newsome was hardly seen after he got trucked on the failed screen.

I'm with you. Not so much a message as he was ineffective. I know at UConn we want to draw parallels to Calhoun but I don't see it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I got a text asking if he survived the hit from someone who rarely watches games. He got carries after the mistake.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. Not so much a message as he was ineffective. I know at UConn we want to draw parallels to Calhoun but I don't see it.

he was 2 for 10 on the ground. ? RJ was 14-23 with a fumble.

So, put the inneffective horsecrap away. Newsome needs the rock. Alot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

We do it at UConn because Calhoun represents the pinnacle of using playing time as motivation, but there are plenty of football coaches who do it too.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
he was 2 for 10 on the ground. ? RJ was 14-23 with a fumble.

So, put the inneffective horsecrap away. Newsome needs the rock. Alot.

Wow, two whole carries for 10 yards.

They both weren't effective. I just don't buy the Calhoun parallel which is what I was responding to.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We never saw him after this play. He took a vicious hit and his head bounced off the turf. I hope he is ok for next week.

Reaction Score
Wow, two whole carries for 10 yards.

They both weren't effective. I just don't buy the Calhoun parallel which is what I was responding to.

he can't control his carries. he can control averaging 5 YPC. On the year he's averaging right at 5 YPC.

When someone has 2 carries and has 10 yards, that is the definition of "effective".

Reaction Score
he can't control his carries. he can control averaging 5 YPC. On the year he's averaging right at 5 YPC.

When someone has 2 carries and has 10 yards, that is the definition of "effective".

In fairness he was also responsible for the big loss on the blown assignment early. That has to factor in to his totals.

If he can't be trusted to go to the right spot on the field....

Reaction Score
In fairness he was also responsible for the big loss on the blown assignment early. That has to factor in to his totals.

If he can't be trusted to go to the right spot on the field....

You're assuming the broken play in the backfield was all AK's fault... Even the announcers weren't sure if it was him or BS. Leaned towards AK based on o-line movement to left but not definitive. It was one play and I'm pretty sure it resulted in a -4yd loss.

Let's not start another meme on the kid.

Reaction Score

Cutting off your own nose to spite your face is always a bad strategy.

BTW, Calhoun wins all those early games, so the message does not come at the expense of the team

Reaction Score
You're assuming the broken play in the backfield was all AK's fault... Even the announcers weren't sure if it was him or BS. Leaned towards AK based on o-line movement to left but not definitive. It was one play and I'm pretty sure it resulted in a -4yd loss.

Let's not start another meme on the kid.

That's fair. Im assuming based on things i've read here, and what i see.

I can't be sure, but after watching the play what seems like a billion times, it really looks like AN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom