Merry Christmas! | The Boneyard

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you observe this blessed holiday, may the day be merry and bright. A gentle snow is falling, bringing us a white Christmas. Not a major storm. Just enough to set the mood.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I need to share with you what happened during my "children's" sermon at our family service last night. I hope it will not be too religious and I will try to limit that but it connects deeply to the events of the last two weeks.

Every year I give to the children at the Christmas Eve service some small gift. It is often an ornament, one year a bell like in Polar Express, other years a small Chrismon, or a candy cane, whatever fits my message for the evening. This year I decided I would not give them a present and would attempt to focus their thoughts on the importance of giving freely to others who are vulnerable and in need. I then told the kids I would not have the usual Christmas gift for them this year.

I started talking with them by asking them what was the best Christmas present they ever received. After a couple of moments of shy hesitation as they tried to figure out what I was after one young girl said, "Jesus." I thanked her for cutting out 10 minutes of my message but assured while she was right I wasn't looking for that type of gift yet. Much laughter all around. The ice broken, another little boy quickly said his new baby brother who is just two weeks old. More laughter.

We, finally, settle down to their more typical Christmas presents and someone says a Wii, and another a favorite doll. I tell about my personal favorite and how my brothers and I had to wait on the stairs until my parents called us downstairs at 6:00 am. One kid says he can't get up until 9:00 am and I tell him I'm impressed with his parents because they must be really, really strong. More laughter. I tell them about getting my best present an American Flyer and going sledding on fresh snow that Christmas. I always try to spend time playing for a bit with the kids in children's sermons and a little more on Christmas Eve it is part of helping them to know that the church is a safe place and is their place, not just adults or others. Then I turned to the core of the message.

I asked them if they thought they had enough gifts. They all immediately nodded yes. I looked to the girl who had said Jesus was the greatest gift and told her thank you for remembering that for us as Christians that Jesus was indeed the greatest gift and that he had given us a second great gift and that it was the chance to join him in giving.

I told them that in place of giving them a gift this year that together we would make a gift to help someone else. I told them I had four choices for them: 1) was the local food pantry; 2) the local meals on wheels program; 3) Heifer International who helps people world wide to be able to develop self sustaining livelihoods; 4) someone of their choice. I asked them did they have any ideas. Immediately, a hand shot up and when I asked her idea she said something for the school kids in Sandy Hook and other kids nodded and reacted with enthusiasm. Quickly, I moved to a vote and after a couple of stray votes for the first three options they was a united and unanimous excited vote for 4. Without any seeding or encouragement from adults including myself the kids thought of and chose to make a gift for the children in Sandy Hook. I could never have asked the kids to do this because my connection to CT and the events in Sandy Hook are far too personal.

Sometimes when you give yourself to the kingdom of God wonderful and unexpected gifts are discovered in the giving. Merry Christmas. I have a new best Christmas present ever.

Sorry for the length and I hope it is not too religious but I thought that all of you needed to know that in a small church in PA there are kids who are thinking about your kids or grand kids and want to do something for them.

Merry Christmas and blessings to all of you

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Merry Christmas to all. May God bless you and yours as we celebrate the birth of the Christ. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

(We got an inch?? of snow here. More than enough :))

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Thank you so much for sharing your Christmas gift, Padre! That is a WONDERFUL story! I hope your congregation appreciates you and your teachings for I would love to have you as my Pastor. God bless you.....

It pains me to hear you apologize for being too religious. You are a man of the cloth, that much is understood. Preach on, dear sir, preach on. You have at least one Boneyarder that would listen. Merry Christmas and may God bless you and your family.....

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I need to share with you what happened during my "children's" sermon at our family service last night. I hope it will not be too religious and I will try to limit that but it connects deeply to the events of the last two weeks.

Every year I give to the children at the Christmas Eve service some small gift. It is often an ornament, one year a bell like in Polar Express, other years a small Chrismon, or a candy cane, whatever fits my message for the evening. This year I decided I would not give them a present and would attempt to focus their thoughts on the importance of giving freely to others who are vulnerable and in need. I then told the kids I would not have the usual Christmas gift for them this year.

I started talking with them by asking them what was the best Christmas present they ever received. After a couple of moments of shy hesitation as they tried to figure out what I was after one young girl said, "Jesus." I thanked her for cutting out 10 minutes of my message but assured while she was right I wasn't looking for that type of gift yet. Much laughter all around. The ice broken, another little boy quickly said his new baby brother who is just two weeks old. More laughter.

We, finally, settle down to their more typical Christmas presents and someone says a Wii, and another a favorite doll. I tell about my personal favorite and how my brothers and I had to wait on the stairs until my parents called us downstairs at 6:00 am. One kid says he can't get up until 9:00 am and I tell him I'm impressed with his parents because they must be really, really strong. More laughter. I tell them about getting my best present an American Flyer and going sledding on fresh snow that Christmas. I always try to spend time playing for a bit with the kids in children's sermons and a little more on Christmas Eve it is part of helping them to know that the church is a safe place and is their place, not just adults or others. Then I turned to the core of the message.

I asked them if they thought they had enough gifts. They all immediately nodded yes. I looked to the girl who had said Jesus was the greatest gift and told her thank you for remembering that for us as Christians that Jesus was indeed the greatest gift and that he had given us a second great gift and that it was the chance to join him in giving.

I told them that in place of giving them a gift this year that together we would make a gift to help someone else. I told them I had four choices for them: 1) was the local food pantry; 2) the local meals on wheels program; 3) Heifer International who helps people world wide to be able to develop self sustaining livelihoods; 4) someone of their choice. I asked them did they have any ideas. Immediately, a hand shot up and when I asked her idea she said something for the school kids in Sandy Hook and other kids nodded and reacted with enthusiasm. Quickly, I moved to a vote and after a couple of stray votes for the first three options they was a united and unanimous excited vote for 4. Without any seeding or encouragement from adults including myself the kids thought of and chose to make a gift for the children in Sandy Hook. I could never have asked the kids to do this because my connection to CT and the events in Sandy Hook are far too personal.

Sometimes when you give yourself to the kingdom of God wonderful and unexpected gifts are discovered in the giving. Merry Christmas. I have a new best Christmas present ever.

Sorry for the length and I hope it is not too religious but I thought that all of you needed to know that in a small church in PA there are kids who are thinking about your kids or grand kids and want to do something for them.

Merry Christmas and blessings to all of you
thank you for sharing that Padre. I read it out loud to my family and there were a few tears! A great story for Christmas morning. Merry Christmas!

Reaction Score
It is a dreary day along the shoreline but a joyous day. My sons are all grown and their children are now adults and I miss terribly being awaken by excited children jumping on our bed at 6am. Enjoy your children as time goes by so fast. Merry Christmas to all the Boneyarders and their families.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The power and the glory of the Wanamaker organ at Macy's. A true beast of n instrument.

Hallelujah flash mob.
Thanks for sharing the account of the children's service and this.

The court in the former Wanamaker's is truly one of the great spaces in America. The light show is special, though now abbreviated. Some of us remember the longer version narrated by the legendary John Facenda. A true Americana Christmas.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The power and the glory of the Wanamaker organ at Macy's. A true beast of n instrument.

Hallelujah flash mob.
Thanks for posting. After service last night, my wife commented that she missed the Halleljah Chorus, which was traditional Christmas Eve at the end of service at the church where she worked, and which we sometimes attended on Christmas Eve.

Also, miss the Wannamaker Organ. For a number of years, we were able to attend Organ Day as well as a couple of special events. I still have the Friends of the Wannamaker Organ on my charitable gift list.

Unfortunately, nothing here in AZ to replace Wannamaker and also Ocean Grove Great Auditorium. I urge any BY'ers that have the chance to attend a Gordon Turk recital in the summer in the Great Auditorium to do so. Reportedly the organ was not damaged in Sandy, although not so sure about the Auditorium.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. After service last night, my wife commented that she missed the Halleljah Chorus, which was traditional Christmas Eve at the end of service at the church where she worked, and which we sometimes attended on Christmas Eve.

Also, miss the Wannamaker Organ. For a number of years, we were able to attend Organ Day as well as a couple of special events. I still have the Friends of the Wannamaker Organ on my charitable gift list.

Unfortunately, nothing here in AZ to replace Wannamaker and also Ocean Grove Great Auditorium. I urge any BY'ers that have the chance to attend a Gordon Turk recital in the summer in the Great Auditorium to do so. Reportedly the organ was not damaged in Sandy, although not so sure about the Auditorium.

Or Longwood Gardens and it great fountains and another spectacular organ.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
A Merry Christmas to all and may you all have a happy day! Thank you for sharing your story, Padre! It brought a lump to my throat, but a carol to my heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom