Merl Code: "Nike schools pay too" | The Boneyard

Merl Code: "Nike schools pay too"

Reaction Score
'Nike schools pay too': Federal court docs allude to corruption involving flagship Nike basketball programs
But the filings also include snippets of evidence entered at trial, some of which revive an old, dormant question in the 16-month-old case.

Did other shoe companies beyond Adidas also buy players for their flagship schools?

Code, who worked for 14 years at industry leader Nike before moving to Adidas, said his former employer was in the business of brokering deals between basketball programs and recruits. “Nike schools pay too,” Code said in a conversation recorded by federal investigators on June 20, 2017. In the same conversation, Code names several of the most prominent programs in the country that are outfitted by Nike.

“It’s a corrupt space as it is and cheating is cheating,” Code is quoted as saying in the transcript. “Whether I give you a dollar, 100,000, or I get your mom and dad jobs, it’s cheating. … So in some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of the schools are doing something to help get kids. That’s just a part of the space.”

Reaction Score
And the success of these programs proves it is worth cheating. Heck, even Ville is in great shape from a recruiting and dollars point of view. We should have been cheating and if we were, we should have done a better job at cheating.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Welp its been real guys. Might as well shut down the boneyard dot com

Reaction Score
Looks like we're so off the radar that we aren't mentioned among the Nike elite................elite cheaters anyway.

Reaction Score
And the success of these programs proves it is worth cheating. Heck, even Ville is in great shape from a recruiting and dollars point of view. We should have been cheating and if we were, we should have done a better job at cheating.

If a school can't even figure its way through the APR without getting banned it should stay well clear of actual cheating. Best leave that to the pros.

Reaction Score
If a school can't even figure its way through the APR without getting banned it should stay well clear of actual cheating. Best leave that to the pros.
To be fair they changed the rules mid-stream in order to whack us twice. And UHart did us no favors during that.

Reaction Score
Anyone who didn't think every school (Nike, Adidas, under armor) cheats to some extent lives under a rock

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where/how did UHart come into play?
Former University of Hartford president Walter Harrison was on the NCAA committee that decided to:
1) Change the APR rules and apply them retroactively to UConn
2) Punish UConn twice for the same APR scores
3) Refuse to include current UConn scores in the computation which would have let UConn pass the revised rules. The logic? "Not every school has had time to submit their up to date scores." What? Why should that matter when you are looking at UConn's scores?

The guy is incarnate evil. Second only to Emmert on the UConn fan "I hate that guy list."

1550343615646.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Former University of Hartford president Walter Harrison was on the NCAA committee that decided to:
3) Refuse to include current UConn scores in the computation which would have let UConn pass the revised rules. The logic? "Not every school has had time to submit their up to date scores." What? Why should that matter when you are looking at UConn's scores?

The guy is incarnate evil. Second only to Emmert on the UConn fan "I hate that guy list."

View attachment 39731

If I recall correctly, they didn't change the rules, they just rushed to enforce them once UConn was the only major conference school that failed to meet the APR standards.

Indiana had failed to meet them (for three or four years) prior to UConn being sanctioned, and I believe Syracuse and Arkansas were among others that had failed in prior years but they were clear by the time the NCAA decided to punish UConn for, in my opinion, Calhoun not being contrite enough over the penalties from the Nate Miles case and one other issue.

I wish UConn had filed a suit for some good reason, like malicious prosecution, or something else that sounds good over the APR sanctions because of how the NCAA dismissed the fact that UConn met the standards if all the data had been considered. Why should UConn have been punished because other schools carefully massage their data before submitting it or come up with some other means to qualify they "student athletes" (get the Afro Studies program up and running etc.) or operate on a different calendar? uNC fought them and won.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be fair they changed the rules mid-stream in order to whack us twice. And UHart did us no favors during that.

Should have been reporting damn near 1.000 since the start. Like UK.

Actual grades/classes/attendance does not matter. Only what you report.

Reaction Score

For sure, but first there had to be some internal incompetence that made us vulnerable in the first place. We seem to be doing fine now that someone is finally paying attention.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

View attachment 39731
That guy is Emmert's lover

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom