Mercury @ Sun - 8/20/17 | The Boneyard

Mercury @ Sun - 8/20/17

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Sun blow away Mercury in second half. 94-66. To me, the Mercury are big underachievers much like the Storm were. They are really soft on defense. Totally opposite of the Liberty.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sun blow away Mercury in second half. 94-66. To me, the Mercury are big underachievers much like the Storm were. They are really soft on defense. Totally opposite of the Liberty.

Thats exactly what makes Phoenix such a dangerous team come post-season. You never know when they will turn it on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The Mercury had an off day. 3 Phoenix starters combined for 19 points, and only got 17 points from their bench. Maybe the Mercury were suffering from "jet lag", cause they mailed it in today.
Tuck did not score in 14 minutes of play. Courtney Williams (USF) continues to light it up for the Sun. She did a 180 degree turn after coming over from Phoenix. With the Mercury, she barely got off the bench.

In other news, I wonder if a change of venue would have the same effect on Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis? I've been following her progress in Seattle since draft day. Not much a changed in 3 seasons. She's continues to see more "pine duty" than floor time. Fair or foul? Her fault or theirs? :rolleyes:

hc-jacobs-column-0801-20150731

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Mercury had an off day. 3 Phoenix starters combined for 19 points, and only got 17 points from their bench. Maybe the Mercury were suffering from "jet lag", cause they mailed it in today.
Tuck did not score in 14 minutes of play. Courtney Williams (USF) continues to light it up for the Sun. She did a 180 degree turn after coming over from Phoenix. With the Mercury, she barely got off the bench.

In other news, I wonder if a change of venue would have the same effect on Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis? I've been following her progress in Seattle since draft day. Not much a changed in 3 seasons. She's continues to see more "pine duty" than floor time. Fair or foul? Her fault or theirs? :rolleyes:

Kaleena is still a strong offensive player and really is smart knowing how to pass, set ip plays and move. The problem is that with so few minutes, she is really forcing crazy 3pt shots not in rhythm. Her defense to me will always be an issue. She gets into foul trouble very quickly because she always seems a step behind.:(

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Well that was sure a lot of fun. Excellent bounce back game from Friday's "L". Pretty big, engaged crowd (8300) and Sun got their shooting eye back tonight (40% from 3, 53% overall). That was the key stat, as the Merc could only manage 25% and 34%.

Speaking of shooting - welcome back Shekinna Stricklen!! 4 for 7 from behind the arc; a weapon that was missed for quite a few games. Let's hope she stays hot through the playoffs.

Speaking of playoffs, the Sun clinched a home playoff game tonight, and my regular seats are already locked in. :D

Alyssa Thomas owns the stats page with 17pts, 12rebs, 5ast, 2blks, 2stls... quite a nice night's work. :) That woman is an absolute beast when she's feeling it (as she has almost every game). When AT gets lots of defensive boards the offense tends to get supercharged because she advances the ball so quickly. Most teams are vulnerable to that push (LA and NY cope with it best).

JJ is phenomenal. Crossover dribbles, 3 balls, running the court - tonight she made BG look... well... just tall. Don't know what else to say about our Bahamian Bomber.

Captain Jas shot 50% from the field including 2 out of 3 from 3-ville. Thing look so much better when she's on the court, somehow she just brings a sense order and confidence to the offense and she's great defender. Love us some Jasmine Thomas. :cool:

I understand Jose Fernandez was in the crowd to see Courtney tonight and she was great - shot 57% with 16pts, 4 rebs, 2stl and 2ast. She is such a great fit on this team. You can see in the picture below how much space she makes for herself with that pull-up.

20953275_10155477179665449_744462626513148656_n.jpg

Reaction Score
The Mercury should be kicking themselves for giving up Courtney Williams without giving her a real chance on the floor.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Mercury should be kicking themselves for giving up Courtney Williams without giving her a real chance on the floor.

But they got All-Star Kelsey Bone!! Oh... nevermind...

Reaction Score

She's doing marginally better under the new coach. It seems she's getting a bit more time and more important minutes. Maybe she'll start to get it together. She was such a beautiful shooter in college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom