Mercury @ Sparks - 9/14/17 | The Boneyard

Mercury @ Sparks - 9/14/17

Reaction Score
It's long been a source of amazement to me how poorly Phoenix utilizes Brittney Griner on offense. Endless empty possessions when she handles the ball either not at all, or far beyond her shooting range like at the top of the key or way out in one of the corners. She should be posting down low or cutting in from the elbow almost every possession. Oh well, this is the same coach that couldn't figure out how to play Courtney Williams for more than two minutes a game.

Reaction Score
I know I'm in the minority but watching Candice Parker play BB makes me physically sick!

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but Parker is doing everything tonight... blocking shots, running the floor for layups, rebounding, assists, you name it. After watching seven quarters of basketball between these two over the past two nights, it's clear that LA is the better team here. Their offence is so much more active and cohesive, their defense is smothering, and they're out rebounding and out shooting the Mercury at will. Taurasi's parlor tricks and Griner's raw height advantage are not nearly enough.

Should be a great final between the Lynx and the Sparx. Could easily go the distance again this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not a good look for the WNBA when both of the games tonight were held in college arenas.

Game is getting good now.

I know I'm in the minority but watching Candice Parker play BB makes me physically sick!

Me 2 ....

This might help ;)

16792134.jpg

Reaction Score
Unfortunately some Mercury players would pick and choose when to hustle. Every Sparks player played like they were hungry. They didn't take any possessions off. If the Mercury players played like that, there would have been a different outcome.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Unfortunately some Mercury players would pick and choose when to hustle. Every Sparks player played like they were hungry. They didn't take any possessions off. If the Mercury players played like that, there would have been a different outcome.
That's coaching. There are several teams in the WNBA who play tenacious defense (off the top of my head, Dallas, LA, and NYL) - maybe there are more - i've not seen enough to know for sure. But the teams that do not - it's on the coaches. It's obviously possible to get a bunch of stars to play uber-hard on defense. Some coaches are able to get their teams to do it, others not so much...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Mercury are just not that talented. Two of its 5 starters are named Yvonne Turner and Leilani Mitchell. Both are fine players but just don't compare to the elite level talent the Sparks and Lynx can put on the floor. Brondello deserves credit for getting the Mercury this far.

BTW, 5-5 Leilani Mitchell grabbed one more rebound than Griner (6 vs 5). How does that happen? I really like Griner's game but she should be dominating the backboards.

Reaction Score
The Mercury are just not that talented. Two of its 5 starters are named Yvonne Turner and Leilani Mitchell. Both are fine players but just don't compare to the elite level talent the Sparks and Lynx can put on the floor. Brondello deserves credit for getting the Mercury this far.

BTW, 5-5 Leilani Mitchell grabbed one more rebound than Griner (6 vs 5). How does that happen? I really like Griner's game but she should be dominating the backboards.

Exactly! On several occasions I noticed Phoenix taking outside shots when zero teammates were anywhere near the hoop to contest for a rebound. And Griner's usual response to such a shot is to immediately turn around and head the other way on defense, rather than to crash the boards.

Reaction Score
Every time I watch her play it seems, IMHO, that she plays with the, "watch me I'm the greatest WBB player of all time, not these clowns that are out here, additude!" The game seems to be all about CP! I think USA WBB felt the same way when they didn't invite her to training camp for the last Olympics! They wanted "selfless" players!
There is no doubt that she is talented, but her persona, how she comes across, is ALL ego, again IMO! Nneka O., Maya M., Stewie, EDD, Tina C., Sue Bird, and others of that ilk play with a confidence that you can't really tell if they're winning or losing, on target or off, as the game progresses, and at the end of the game you know those players were unique. Understated!

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
What is going on with Griner? She should be dominating. I don't know whether it was because she was fouled out last game, but the lack of effort was really surprising. I thought she would come back with fire in her belly. I am a Sparks fan and I also dislike some of CP3s stuff, as she comes off as aloof to the team sometimes.

Reaction Score
Every time I watch her play it seems, IMHO, that she plays with the, "watch me I'm the greatest WBB player of all time, not these clowns that are out here, additude!" The game seems to be all about CP! I think USA WBB felt the same way when they didn't invite her to training camp for the last Olympics! They wanted "selfless" players!
There is no doubt that she is talented, but her persona, how she comes across, is ALL ego, again IMO! Nneka O., Maya M., Stewie, EDD, Tina C., Sue Bird, and others of that ilk play with a confidence that you can't really tell if they're winning or losing, on target or off, as the game progresses, and at the end of the game you know those players were unique. Understated!

I agree. The ego you describe never fails to show itself during her court-side interviews, and because of that you start to notice it when she's playing as well!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom