Mensah | The Boneyard

Mensah

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's slowly getting back into form. Last year, he was holding his own as a true FR against most of the conference teams we played. At this point, he's our only guy who can effectively run between the tackles.

Onfield performance when your team needs every one of those yards gained and needs the ball security is a great way to get out of a dog house.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mensah really looked like a true RB yesterday. Sliding threw small holes, playing low, not going down easy and got stronger as the game progressed. It really was encouraging.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mensah really looked like a true RB yesterday. Sliding threw small holes, playing low, not going down easy and got stronger as the game progressed. It really was encouraging.

Yeah. He got some tough yards and carried some defenders later in the game yesterday. Big difference from first couple of weeks when it seemed first contact often stopped him cold.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Mensah showed some nice vision yesterday to complement some nice power. There were a few times where he made a late cut against the flow of the play, along with a few times where he showed some nice patience to set up a blocker. I also loved that he broke through a number of tackles throughout the day. I'm really excited to see how his UConn career develops...

Reaction Score
I was thinking about starting a separate thread on this but I guess it’s appropriate here.

I don’t think we should be too surprised he had a good game against URI. Our line was actually evenly matched today, and actually got a push. Put Mensah behind that, and his strength and athleticism will really shine. Sadly, I’m not sure they (and by extension, Kevin) will continue to put up rushing numbers like this back in-conference. Fortunately we have a couple more years of Mensah, and the line will become upperclassmen (we have what, 3 total across the 2-deep now?). But it’s a shame Pindell, as good as he has been making plays, won’t get to enjoy that

Reaction Score
He had a very poised and well-spoken pre-game interview with Bob Joyce on the radio. Couple of tid-bits...said he learned the value of academics last spring. And when asked about wearing number 34, he said he didn't choose it --the number was thrust upon him. He didn't understand the significance until he saw the large image of Donald Brown in the training center. Now he intends to honor the number.

Reaction Score
I think he is the best player on the team.
Uhhh....
upload_2018-9-16_21-4-20.gif

Reaction Score
I don't see it either. For a shorter back he runs too high through the hole. He is so straight up defenders usually grab the ball as he runs. He smartly lays down on some of those instead of running through what could turn into a strip.

He is however a gamer.

I see him as the prototypical successful college runner. 5'9" and 195 with thick legs and arms, good cuts. Didn't Emmitt Smith run pretty upright?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It was great seeing him get in the secondary the last couple games. He’s a big dude and tough for DBs to bring down.

Reaction Score
I don't see it either. For a shorter back he runs too high through the hole. He is so straight up defenders usually grab the ball as he runs. He smartly lays down on some of those instead of running through what could turn into a strip.

He is however a gamer.

Mensah is the best RB on the team, right now. Let’s not forget if O’Reilly doesn’t get hurt and Scott didn’t fumble the starting job away against UCF, Mensah is barely seeing the field. We’ve yet to see Dante Black (which is somewhat surprising given the new redshirt rule), but he and Gillespie are just not ready.

Pindell is the best player on the team 3 games in.

Mensah does run very high. He is not a guy who is going to juke or jump cut and make people miss. He’s a north-south back with good burst and speed that can break arm tackles. His limitations as a blocker and a pass catcher keep him from being that next level back. He had a great game against URI (I repeat....URI). He did nothing against UCF and had one long TD run against Boise, when the game was well over against god knows what string defense they were playing at that point.

The predictability of the offense when he or Scott are on the field is pretty high.

Anybody else miss this guy, yet???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom