OT: Men's Recruit Means One Player Loses Scholarship | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Recruit Means One Player Loses Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Brilliant move if it turns out to be true. you don't land the #1 player in the class and not have some way to figure it out. Bradley is a Pharmacy major and IIRC, that's a 6 year program. were he to give up his scholly this year (he red shirted last year), he's still have 4 years eligibility left and UCONN could pay his way for the remaining 4 years...

Reaction Score
Brilliant move if it turns out to be true. you don't land the #1 player in the class and not have some way to figure it out. Bradley is a Pharmacy major and IIRC, that's a 6 year program. were he to give up his scholly this year (he red shirted last year), he's still have 4 years eligibility left and UCONN could pay his way for the remaining 4 years...
Especially if Bradley is eligible for a financial need scholarship.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This kind of move happens, even in women's college basketball. Tsk, tsk!

Get over it!

Simply because it happens does not mean it has to be accepted or that it cannot be subjectively objectionable. Jim Calhoun and the UConn administration lost some of my respect.

To piggy-back on my fellow Chicagoan's point, if Geno were to act in similar way, would our respect for him diminish? For me, a definite yes.

Reaction Score

Eric, are you suggesting that Bradley would actually benefit more from being on financial aid than on scholarship this year? If that is true, then it change my view of the situation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Eric, are you suggesting that Bradley would actually benefit more from being on financial aid than on scholarship this year? If that is true, then it change my view of the situation.

If he has a scholarship for either of his last 2 years of the 6, it's to his benefit as those years are more expensive in the pharmacy program.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Simply because it happens does not mean it has to be accepted or that it cannot be subjectively objectionable. Jim Calhoun and the UConn administration lost some of my respect.

To piggy-back on my fellow Chicagoan's point, if Geno were to act in similar way, would our respect for him diminish? For me, a definite yes.
Nice to know some people never have to make hard decisions work. Get over yourself. Bradley is still a member of the team. UK kicked 6 members off the team to make way when Calipari came. IIRC, many women's teams have booted other players off their teams for many reasons - UK, UM, 'ville? Texas.

Reaction Score
Neither your baseless personal attack or suggestion that UK's men team or other women's team have committed similar or less savoury actions actually changes my initial argument: Simply because it happens does not mean it has to be accepted or that it cannot be subjectively objectionable.

If Bradley is losing his scholarship to his detriment, then I still find it objectionable that the university does not honor a commitment to a young man simply because a supposedly more talented player comes along, just as I find it objectionable for any other institution/team to do the same to any of its players.

My opinion changes if it turns out Bradley would also benefit from the switch to financial aid.

Reaction Score

he wouldn't have 4 years of eligibility left going forward. A player only has a five year window to play his four years.

BTW, had Bradley wanted to play hardball, he could have refused to give up the scholarship. At this stage, a player's scholarship cannot be taken away. Of course, had he done that he would have been out the door next year.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
What I know, is that Bradley will receive an academic scholarship. He's a pharm. major from what I've been told.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I know, is that Bradley will receive an academic scholarship. He's a pharm. major from what I've been told.
I believe an academic scholarship still counts and wouldn't fix the problem.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If academic scholarships solved the problem we would see them used frequently and they are not. Many Stanford and ND players among others would qualify for academic aid. What I do not understand is that if AD cannot qualify as a walkon because he was recruited how would Bradley.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
honestly i don't know the answer to that. but to pretend that millions of $ isn't involved in recruiting men's football and basketball would be naive. just look at all the programs right now on the hot seat, especially on the football side. then you have guys like Pearl who not only lied to the NCAA, but asked families of recruits to lie as well.

i'm not saying JC is blameless in the issues that resulted in the loss of scholarships. he certainly should have had a better handle on what classes kids were passing before they jumped from UCONN to the NBA so that we wouldn't be left with kids who left without having enough credits. that hit our APR and resulted in the loss of either 1 or 2 scholarships.

but my point is that the Pharmacy program is 6 years. you have 6 years to use 4 years of eligibility for for basketball. he had a red shirt last year but unless he wants to take another one, and not play, he'd be on track to finish in 5 years. he'd have to pay his way his 6th year anyway to complete his pharmacy degree.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If academic scholarships solved the problem we would see them used frequently and they are not. Many Stanford and ND players among others would qualify for academic aid. What I do not understand is that if AD cannot qualify as a walkon because he was recruited how would Bradley.
Because he wasn't recruited this year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
MCBB is a cutthroat business and the UConn men's team has none of the natural recruiting advantages the women's team does. Ya do what ya gotta do, especially if it's within the rules. I can promise you Bradley's sacrifice will be rememberedby the business community of CT when it's time for him to look for a job post-college. He'll be fine.

Reaction Score
MCBB is a cutthroat business and the UConn men's team has none of the natural recruiting advantages the women's team does. Ya do what ya gotta do, especially if it's within the rules. I can promise you Bradley's sacrifice will be rememberedby the business community of CT when it's time for him to look for a job post-college. He'll be fine.
I have a feeling the kid can play some hoops too. From what I have seen the kid has improved alot. He will contribute sooner or later to this team and the community

Reaction Score
That is a strange nuance indeed. A nonsensical one.

Not really if you remember that scholarships are merely one year contracts and are never more than that contractually.

Reaction Score

I think Andre Drummond with his fancy huge NBA contract will look after Bradley over time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not really if you remember that scholarships are merely one year contracts and are never more than that contractually.
Yes, but would not the offer of the next year's contract be considered recruiting a player. Bradley had to be expecting the scholarship for this year. Presumably the exit interviews from last season would confirm that.

Reaction Score
That's a significant stretch of "recruiting." And not what the NCAA is interested to policing.
Yes, but would not the offer of the next year's contract be considered recruiting a player. Bradley had to be expecting the scholarship for this year. Presumably the exit interviews from last season would confirm that.

Reaction Score
Prediction: Drummond will join the team as a walk-on and pay his own way. Note: I was "meadowlander" on the old site because I was already there as a NY Giant fan when they acquired the Boneyard.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's a significant stretch of "recruiting." And not what the NCAA is interested to policing.
I would consider any offer of a scholarship to play a sport to be recruiting. I do not think that is a far stretch. Since the university needs Bradley to release his scholarship for this to be played out would indicate that exchange or offer to have already been made thus he was recruited.

I have no problem understanding that the NCAA would not be interested in pursuing such a thing but that speaks more of their inconsistency willingness to turn a blind eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom