OT: Men's player suspended for playing too many summer league games | The Boneyard

OT: Men's player suspended for playing too many summer league games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN
Rodney Purvis will not be allowed to play in UConn season-opener for playing in too many summer leagues. Seriously. #anotherdumbncaarule

I know the NCAA has been dragging its feet on the tiny little UNC issue, credit where credit's due - they're coming down hard on the things that really matter.

Looks like Geno's sleazy, rule-breaking habits have made their way over to the men's team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that they ignore the rules violation?? It is a rule, there was a Rutgers Women's Basketball player some years ago that was not allowed to play 2 games for a similar reason.

Interestingly, in the Rutgers situation, the University took the heat, saying essentially "we failed to monitor the player's plans appropriately", the player reportedly had no idea they were breaking an NCAA rule.

I agree the NCAA is failing in a lot of ways, but I don't think the solution is to ignore the relatively simple rules that are on the book.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that they ignore the rules violation?? It is a rule, there was a Rutgers Women's Basketball player some years ago that was not allowed to play 2 games for a similar reason.

Interestingly, in the Rutgers situation, the University took the heat, saying essentially "we failed to monitor the player's plans appropriately", the player reportedly had no idea they were breaking an NCAA rule.

I agree the NCAA is failing in a lot of ways, but I don't think the solution is to ignore the relatively simple rules that are on the book.

Agree 100%.

Reaction Score
If UConn breaks any rule they are going to be nailed for it. If Warde Manuel cannot figure this out, he needs to go be the AD where they're cool with breaking rules. Between this and the Geno thing, I have to wonder if there's anyone home in the compliance office.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If UConn breaks any rule they are going to be nailed for it. If Warde Manuel cannot figure this out, he needs to go be the AD where they're cool with breaking rules. Between this and the Geno thing, I have to wonder if there's anyone home in the compliance office.
The compliance dept. had nothing to do with Geno's situation. In fact, they gave him the correct interpretation.... A person does not become an eligible student athlete under the rules until he or she enters the 9th grade. Davis is in the 8th grade. Sorry, but the NCAA made this one up on the fly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Geno thing was a manufactured violation and had nothing to do with a rules violation. His action was legal by the rules. Mo'ne was declared a special case.

Reaction Score

My post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

I was more poking fun of the fact that UConn seems to get in trouble for violating the smallest rules - or, in Geno's case, not breaking a rule at all - whereas a school like UNC can get away with athletes taking fake classes for nearly two decades (the NCAA only reopened that case after it had no choice).

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but there's definitely something fishy going on re: the NCAA/UConn.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm not a conspiracy guy, but there's definitely something fishy going on re: the NCAA/UConn.

You think! Many have said this before.

Reaction Score
The compliance dept. had nothing to do with Geno's situation. In fact, they gave him the correct interpretation.... A person does not become an eligible student athlete under the rules until he or she enters the 9th grade. Davis is in the 8th grade. Sorry, but the NCAA made this one up on the fly.
Warde seemed to think it was a violation, though not one worth fighting. I would hope that guy above anyone else would know the rules, and like I said, if not he needs to be shown the door because the NCAA and not the dumpster fire of a conference we are in is the biggest risk to our athletic department right now. If KO even smiles at a recruit at the wrong time we are getting the hammer dropped on us.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Warde seemed to think it was a violation, though not one worth fighting. I would hope that guy above anyone else would know the rules, and like I said, if not he needs to be shown the door because the NCAA and not the dumpster fire of a conference we are in is the biggest risk to our athletic department right now. If KO even smiles at a recruit at the wrong time we are getting the hammer dropped on us.
I think you are wrong again. Warde said he didn't think it was worth going to the mat over. I don't recall ever reading that he thought it was a violation. How could he since the NCAA made the whole thing up? The entire episode was stupid and I still would love to know the name of the jerk that filed a protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom