Men's and Women's Olympic teams are going to cruise | The Boneyard

Men's and Women's Olympic teams are going to cruise

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's great for them. I was reading an article that Australia was leaving the Olympic village because it was unclean, unsafe, and Rio was obviously unprepared. I know the city is working hard to get everything ready, but apparently it was just not. The article mentioned similar problems in Russia for the last Olympics as well. It's too bad, really. The IOC needs to take that into consideration when awarding the Olympics to any country. You didn't hear about any of that when they were held in China, Australia, or the US.

Reaction Score
I hope they don't play the slot machines in the cruise ship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I heard about the cruise ship. I think it may be the safest place around. Here's wishing for a smooth and safe Olympics!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's great for them. I was reading an article that Australia was leaving the Olympic village because it was unclean, unsafe, and Rio was obviously unprepared. I know the city is working hard to get everything ready, but apparently it was just not. The article mentioned similar problems in Russia for the last Olympics as well. It's too bad, really. The IOC needs to take that into consideration when awarding the Olympics to any country. You didn't hear about any of that when they were held in China, Australia, or the US.
In 2000, Michael Wilbon wrote that the Olympics should be in Sydney all the time. The downsides are the distance from most places (including the U.S.) and the time difference, which precludes live prime time broadcasts of major events in the U.S. As someone who was there, I like the idea of it being on a short list of host cities. It was FABULOUS!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In Athens in 2004 both basketball teams were likewise on a cruise ship. Vivian shared a story about her mother teaching Lebron about washing socks. The guests of the coaches and players likewise stayed on the ship.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think they should consider something like the NCAA is doing for WCBB - select two or three cities for winter olympics and for summer olympics and then rotate - on a fixed schedule between them. The initial investment by each city then just gets augmented to improve and update facilities each time.

Reaction Score
I actually think they should consider something like the NCAA is doing for WCBB - select two or three cities for winter olympics and for summer olympics and then rotate - on a fixed schedule between them. The initial investment by each city then just gets augmented to improve and update facilities each time.
Interesting idea. I was listening to Andrew Zimbalist (the academic sports authority at Smith College) on NPR the other day detailing how Olympics are turning into a significant economic loss for host cities (little of the infrastructure work results in permanent use; there is virtually no long-term economic stimulus and a net loss of money, etc). Establishing permanent homes for the Olympics would take advantage of existing structures. There would have to be a way of revenue-sharing, however, because in the world we live in no country will allow a few other countries to have the economic advantage.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That number could easily be boosted to 8 to 10 with three in this country alone. With Greece and soon Brazil going into foreclosure because of the cost of these games it could become a near future possibility.

Reaction Score
I think all USA olympians should have been on that cruise not just the basketball teams.
The ship isn't large enough for all of them, and the entourage of support. Just need more ships.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the Games can survive in this format. Hard to imagine a city can have the resources available every 4 or 8 years. Most of the facilities would have to be repurposed in between times - not sure how it would work. I would favor a more disassembled Olympics. Have different sites for many of the specialty sports, perhaps in the same or neighboring countries. So rowing, equestrian, and other sports requiring special facilities could hold their events at an appropriate, semi-permanent venue. Maybe then the core sports needs would be more manageable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wonder if the Games can survive in this format. Hard to imagine a city can have the resources available every 4 or 8 years. Most of the facilities would have to be repurposed in between times - not sure how it would work. I would favor a more disassembled Olympics. Have different sites for many of the specialty sports, perhaps in the same or neighboring countries. So rowing, equestrian, and other sports requiring special facilities could hold their events at an appropriate, semi-permanent venue. Maybe then the core sports needs would be more manageable.
Or maybe have a country host the Olympics instead of a city. Then you could use more of the facilities around the country or at least spread out some of the cost.

Of course that would bring up other problems like travel and having an Olympic village (where would all the athletes "hook up"?). IDK, something has to be done different because I don't think this model is sustainable much longer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom