Memphis....Nan has this story in News Links but I | The Boneyard

Memphis....Nan has this story in News Links but I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
wanted to highlight it here. Along with Oklahoma City and, yes, San Francisco(Golden State), Memphis shines a bright light on communities that are great in and of themselves; and that produce and have a great passion for hoops(in Memphis' case both college and pro). Obviously, given the distance, it would be tough to have the AAC Tournament so far away; and I support the idea of rotating sites. But, if the AAC wants a big bang from its' inaugural event, Memphis,imo, is a no brainer. Given the fact that our Huskies have started on a new path(from head coach to league to logo); and, with recent recruiting and transfer successes; Memphis is the ideal location for us to add another trophy to the cabinet. I think attendance and media attention will be excellent. :)

Memphis Loves Hoops
GO HUSKIES!!!
images

Reaction Score
I would have to imagine Memphis would "show out" for those 4 days/nights. All the focus would be on college bball, no distractions or competition. Sure the city has its issues, but they can party when they want to as good as anywhere else. The only issue for me is that its not close by.

Change is okay with me, new day-new dawn. How bad can it be?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would have to imagine Memphis would "show out" for those 4 days/nights. All the focus would be on college bball, no distractions or competition. Sure the city has its issues, but they can party when they want to as good as anywhere else. The only issue for me is that its not close by.

Change is okay with me, new day-new dawn. How bad can it be?

How bad can it be?

please nobody answer this.

Reaction Score
wanted to highlight it here. Along with Oklahoma City and, yes, San Francisco(Golden State), Memphis shines a bright light on communities that are great in and of themselves; and that produce and have a great passion for hoops(in Memphis' case both college and pro). Obviously, given the distance, it would be tough to have the AAC Tournament so far away; and I support the idea of rotating sites. But, if the AAC wants a big bang from its' inaugural event, Memphis,imo, is a no brainer. Given the fact that our Huskies have started on a new path(from head coach to league to logo); and, with recent recruiting and transfer successes; Memphis is the ideal location for us to add another trophy to the cabinet. I think attendance and media attention will be excellent. :)

Memphis Loves Hoops
GO HUSKIES!!!
images

I would have preferred Memphis for year 2 instead of 1.

With Ville, Rutgers, Uconn and Temple, the northeast was the no-brainer for year 1.

It will be much harder to get that mass of people to the northeast when Ville and Rutgers leave in year 2.

Memphis would have been better for year 2.

Backward thinking here for the AAC braintrust.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

With Ville, Rutgers, Uconn and Temple, the northeast was the no-brainer for year 1.

It will be much harder to get that mass of people to the northeast when Ville and Rutgers leave in year 2.

What does Rutgirls have to do with getting fans to a BBall tourney in the North East?? Haha

Looks like Louisville is about a 6 hour drive from Memphis, but 12 hours to NYC & 14 hours to Mohegan Sun.

Maybe the thought is combining the UL and Memphis fan bases will guarantee a sell out year 1 in an NBA arena. It's possible Mohegan Sun or Hartford could sell out in year 1 but I don't think it would have anything to do with the Temple or Rutgers Fan bases, or Louisville being in the "North East".

I would love to have the tourney in Hartford or Mohegan next year because I would definitely go, but that doesn't mean Memphis isn't a great choice.

Reaction Score

Rutgers and Temples combined average attendance is less then Memphis. Louisville is also very close to Memphis. Rutgers should have no bearing on the decision. Or at least just as much bearing as USF.

Cincinatti should be in the conversation ahead of Temple and Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Temples combined average attendance is less then Memphis. Louisville is also very close to Memphis. Rutgers should have no bearing on the decision. Or at least just as much bearing as USF.

Cincinatti should be in the conversation ahead of Temple and Rutgers.
What does Rutgirls have to do with getting fans to a BBall tourney in the North East?? Haha

Looks like Louisville is about a 6 hour drive from Memphis, but 12 hours to NYC & 14 hours to Mohegan Sun.

Maybe the thought is combining the UL and Memphis fan bases will guarantee a sell out year 1 in an NBA arena. It's possible Mohegan Sun or Hartford could sell out in year 1 but I don't think it would have anything to do with the Temple or Rutgers Fan bases, or Louisville being in the "North East".

I would love to have the tourney in Hartford or Mohegan next year because I would definitely go, but that doesn't mean Memphis isn't a great choice.

I'm going by the fact that Louisville sent fans to MSG in the past.

Combined average attendance has little to do with who will show up. Temple fans showed up for Syracuse in NYC.

I'm sure Ville fans--after years of traveling to Memphis--would much prefer NYC.

Also, you all are underestimating Temple.

Reaction Score
Memphis! I'm not impressed at all but I guess it fits are second rate status in alignment. Yuck! We need to get out of this horrible conference ASAP!!!

Reaction Score
It won't be MSG ... so that's a HUGE drop off.

I think ... media, fans and our important clients ... the SHOW should be Barclays. The second choice would be Philly. IF ... we had a strong Dallas entity, that would be the second tier. Memphis wins because you know it will be well-attended. But, that gets us to where the UConn women's tournament is ... An Invitational. yuck.

Reaction Score
I'm going by the fact that Louisville sent fans to MSG in the past.

Combined average attendance has little to do with who will show up. Temple fans showed up for Syracuse in NYC.

I'm sure Ville fans--after years of traveling to Memphis--would much prefer NYC.

Also, you all are underestimating Temple.
MSG and for that matter NYC have never been an option, I do not understand why you keep bringing this up. Everyone obviously wants it there, everyone except MSG of course, but it is not happening.

Reaction Score
MSG and for that matter NYC have never been an option, I do not understand why you keep bringing this up. Everyone obviously wants it there, everyone except MSG of course, but it is not happening.

Barclay's has an out clause with the A10.

Do you know who the A10 recently lost?

Reaction Score
Barclay's has an out clause with the A10.

Do you know who the A10 recently lost?
First, MSG has an outclause, where have you seen the Barclays does?

Second, if they do, do you know what events can trigger the clause? My guess is no.

MSG and Barclays are pure fantasy at this point.

Reaction Score
First, MSG has an outclause, where have you seen the Barclays does?

Second, if they do, do you know what events can trigger the clause? My guess is no.

MSG and Barclays are pure fantasy at this point.

It was reported a while back that the clause dealt with the A10 losing teams. Well, the A10 just lost a bunch of its best teams. Of course Barclay's protected itself. Why wouldn't it?

That place is going to host the ACC, BE or AAC within the next two years.

They lost Butler, St. Louis, Temple and Xavier, and are about to lose 2 of VCU, Dayton and Richmond.

You can't lose your 6 best teams and expect the same deal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Made my reservations at the Memphis Residence Inn. $93. a night, half mile to the arena and Beale Street.

Reaction Score
That time of year in Memphis is nice and warm kinda like at the masters a few weeks later. Friendly people, great bars and restaurants and the only down side is how far it is, but I can already smell the ribs, real fried chicken and fresh hot biscuits. They sell BigAssBeer right on Beal St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom