Memphis Game | The Boneyard

Memphis Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the game tomorrow. Memphis an early 3 point favorite. I agree with everyone about two huge factors in this game: it's tough to beat a team 3x in one year, and even harder when you have to try and beat them twice in their building. Let's face it, tomorrow night is a home game for Memphis. Whether its fair or unfair, that is the reality. It is why a lot of people wanted to avoid them in the quarterfinals and wanted to play SMU instead. I was one of them. But the people who wanted to play Memphis are also right in the sense that we matchup better with them than any of the other big 4 teams in the league.

Although the two games we beat them in were completely different, Memphis actually played very well in both. In the first game, Memphis shot 43%, and 41% from 3. UConn was better, shooting 57%, and 42% from 3. UConn shot lights out down the stretch, and DeAndre had his best game of the season with 23 points and 11 rebounds.

Go the 2nd game. Memphis shoots 55% from the field, and 47% from 3. Counter that with UConn, who shoots 39%, but 42% from 3. Napier has a huge game with 34 points, and UConn overcomes its poor shooting and the hot shooting from Memphis by going 29-36 from the foul line.

When looking at those statistics, remember that Memphis shot 33% for the season from 3. They did shoot 48% from the field and averaged 78.4 points per game, 32nd in the country. So they are a good offensive team, but not a great team from 3. But they shot above their average both games against us.

I bring this up because I think it is important to remember they have played well against us. We beat them because DeAndre and Bazz had huge games against them. To beat them a 3rd time we need to do the following:

1. Control tempo. I thought we did a much better job of this in the 1st game. Memphis is dangerous in an up and down game. They have the athletes to do it. I think we need to force them to beat our defense in the halfcourt. Make them beat us from the outside.

2. Dribble penetration. Watching us against Memphis this year, I think we can get to the rim against them. That is why Daniels was so open the 1st game. And in the 2nd half of the 2nd game, Shabazz and Boat were able to get to the rim at will. I know Memphis fans complained about the officiating, but they couldn't keep those guys in front of them. And watching them last week against Cincinnati when they gave up a WHOPPING 97 POINTS, they had the same problem. Faster guys give them trouble. Don't just settle for 3s. Get to the rim, get to the foul line, and get them in foul trouble. Shaq Goodwin can't get in foul trouble for them to win.

3. Get help for Shabazz. First game, DeAndre was magnificent. Second game, Boat was solid. We need someone else to help Shabazz to win. I think Memphis will try and take Shabazz out of the game early by blitzing ball screens. This should leave others open. I don't think Memphis has anyone who can guard DeAndre on the outside, but he needs to be aggressive. I would like to see Samuel play as well as I think he can take Memphis guards off the dribble.

4. Hang in there in the first 10 minutes. Memphis will come out aggressive and fired up on their home floor. We need to match their emotions and try and take the crowd out of it early. If not, it could be an uphill climb all night.

I expect a close game that comes down to the last 5 minutes.

Last edited:

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Should be a fun game, I just keep thinking to myself: "we're in either way, we're in either way"

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
5. Prevent dribble penetration by Memphis guards. Watching from the cheap seats at XL, you could literally see them wearing the paint thin from their drives (Well not really. The laquered hardwood is a little more resilient, but still...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom