Memphis/East Carolina Still in the Mix? | The Boneyard

Memphis/East Carolina Still in the Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...an-diego-state-big-west-non-football-programs

"A possibility still exists that Memphis or East Carolina could still head to the Big East in all sports."

Andy Katz is saying that Memphis or East Carolina could still end up in the league in all sports. I think at some point, once the status of the BCS AQ is known, it would make sense to add Memphis from the standpoint of helping the basketball brand. I think Memphis, Temple, UNLV, and Nevada all need to still be in the discussion going forward since everyone pretty much acknowledges that this new Big East configuration is still a work in progress. UNLV and/or Nevada make the eventual inclusion of Boise and SDSU's other programs much more feasible.

Reaction Score
I would add Nevada first if I had the choice-STATE University (like UConn & Rutgers). The Papal States most likely would block them for that very reason.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would add Nevada first if I had the choice-STATE University (like UConn & Rutgers). The Papal States most likely would block them for that very reason.
Heh, I read that as "Paypal States" at first and was very confused.

Reaction Score

That is why I like Nevada as well. State Flagships are potentially valuable commodities.

Reaction Score
I agree with Nevada. And while this new scenario isn't my ideal or even 2nd choice, kinda looking forward to playing on the blue turf at night in Boise. The fb league will likely be equal or better than what we had before and maybe they don't all leave anyway. Going to roll with it for now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the end result for 2014 has to be a east and west with a huge setup
east-ruty/uconn/lville/cincy/usf/ucf/ecu/memphis/navy/uab or smiss or tulane...
west-uh/smu/sdsu/fresno/nev/bosie//byu/wy/hawaii or newmex or mont...
fball-play your division + a rival game from the other division(navy-/uh-memphis etc)

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...an-diego-state-big-west-non-football-programs

"A possibility still exists that Memphis or East Carolina could still head to the Big East in all sports."

Andy Katz is saying that Memphis or East Carolina could still end up in the league in all sports. I think at some point, once the status of the BCS AQ is known, it would make sense to add Memphis from the standpoint of helping the basketball brand. I think Memphis, Temple, UNLV, and Nevada all need to still be in the discussion going forward since everyone pretty much acknowledges that this new Big East configuration is still a work in progress. UNLV and/or Nevada make the eventual inclusion of Boise and SDSU's other programs much more feasible.

From reading that, the implication seems to be East Carolina and/or Memphis would be a fall back should Navy and/or Air Force say no. They're not adding more than 12 schools.

As to UNLV/Nevada, it would have to be for football only due to geography. So that makes it less appealing, although Nevada football is not bad.

Reaction Score
Think Temple is still in the mix as well if Navy and or Air Force decline. In fact, I would take Temple over both East Carolina or Memphis if it were up to me.

Reaction Score
If it comes to ECU or TU, I'd vote for ECU like a Chicagoan - early and often! We've seen the Temple show; we've met both of their fans; we've watched them dissect replay tape as if they are Oliver Stone remaking the JFK assasination - enough. ECU draws 50K plus to every game, bring us in to a new market, and opens up a new recruiting area.

Reaction Score
Comcast would opt for Temple. Phila is too valuable a TV market to leave to BBall only Villanova.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Mike Decourcey was just on TIC saying SMU is indefensible and Memphis would be the logical add for good hoops and comparable football attendance for a horrid team.

Reaction Score
Nobody goes to the games. Who would watch on TV?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.221794,-73.073104

exactly! Poll folks from Philly and ask them where they rate CFB compared to their beloved iggles. Next, ask them to name Philly's best college fb team - the vast majority will say PSU.

We already have Philly via Nova. Nova still wants to move up, just slower. The Philly market should be reserved for them.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
exactly! Poll folks from Philly and ask them where they rate CFB compared to their beloved iggles. Next, ask them to name Philly's best college fb team - the vast majority will say PSU.

We already have Philly via Nova. Nova still wants to move up, just slower. The Philly market should be reserved for them.

I'm from Philly and lived there until a few years ago. Nobody, and I mean nobody, pays any attention to CFB. However, CBB is really big - and that's why we should add Temple. Temple draws lots of fans and most people in Philly consider Temple to be Philly's school. Nova has always been considered the catholic school on the main line.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, they should not add Temple.

If anything, they need to keep this unmitigated disaster of a conference manageable in terms of numbers. In case the lesson hasn't been learned yet, basketball doesn't mean a blessed thing. Adding a school to 'help with basketball' is pointless.

Plan A - Survive this debacle until we can get out.

Plan B - Work to get Air Force and Navy into fball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Screw Nevada, give me UNLV. May as well at least have some fun.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Thank you! The only team other then the service academies would be BYU but we all know ESPN "better known as Satan" is holding them hostage.

No, they should not add Temple.

If anything, they need to keep this unmitigated disaster of a conference manageable in terms of numbers. In case the lesson hasn't been learned yet, basketball doesn't mean a blessed thing. Adding a school to 'help with basketball' is pointless.

Plan A - Survive this debacle until we can get out.

Plan B - Work to get Air Force and Navy into fball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They shouldn't add any of them. This conference is going to be bad enough as is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nobody goes to the games. Who would watch on TV?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.221794,-73.073104

Someone should tell Fox and ESPN that the only thing that matters is how many fans are in the seats, because they just paid $300MM/year for 10 years for the Pac 12 which is maybe the 4th best football league, about the 10th best basketball league, and draws 50k a game for football as a league.

Reaction Score
I don't think Temple is such a hot commodity. If it was, why didn't the ACC add them. No one pays any attention to their football team and we already have Nova. Memphis is just not a good academic fit. You'd never attract a service academy with them in the mix.

Reaction Score
Someone should tell Fox and ESPN that the only thing that matters is how many fans are in the seats, because they just paid $300MM/year for 10 years for the Pac 12 which is maybe the 4th best football league, about the 10th best basketball league, and draws 50k a game for football as a league.
attendance certainly isn't the only thing that matters, but they are closer to 52k a game, and the big east is around 42k. they also have 4 more teams. so we're talking about 400,000 more fans in the seats. I don't know exactly how that translates to eyeballs on the tv, but logic should tell you if they have more fans going to games, they have more fans watching the games on tv too.

Reaction Score
I don't think Temple is such a hot commodity. If it was, why didn't the ACC add them. No one pays any attention to their football team and we already have Nova. Memphis is just not a good academic fit. You'd never attract a service academy with them in the mix.

I agree. After thinking about it and seeing the direction the conference is going I don't see what Temple adds. Moving up Nova would be easier and non duplicative from a market perspective. UNLV and Memphis are the best choices left. Both are nationally known and are located in reasonably large markets which are also tourist draws. After adding UNLV and Memphis it would make sense to hold a spot for BYU if they ever come to their senses.

Reaction Score
I agree. After thinking about it and seeing the direction the conference is going I don't see what Temple adds. Moving up Nova would be easier and non duplicative from a market perspective. UNLV and Memphis are the best choices left. Both are nationally known and are located in reasonably large markets which are also tourist draws. After adding UNLV and Memphis it would make sense to hold a spot for BYU if they ever come to their senses.

It's not a question of BYU coming to its senses -- it's a question of the Big East recognizing that BYU's mission is different than anyone elses and let them have a different deal. Not a better deal, but a different deal.

There is nothing wrong with letting BYU keep its secondary rights so they can be used to draw people to the Mormon Church's cable channel, which in turn can be used for recruitment and access to the faithful. Asking them to give that up doesn't make sense because they shouldn't. Just subtract an amount from their draw and let them do this. And then everyone else gets a slightly higher percentage from a slightly diluted secondary rights package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom