Memory Refresher on How Good Azzi Can Be | The Boneyard

Memory Refresher on How Good Azzi Can Be

Reaction Score
I've seen on this board and other UConn boards people really down on Azzi: she hasn't lived up to the hype, she disappears in big games, yada yada yada. I was upset with her play yesterday as most of us were. However, I tend to think it's only a matter of time before we see the Azzi that a lot of us seem to be forgetting about. So I'll put up 3 videos on three different posts as a reminder of what she can do in big games when she's in the groove.

I tend to think getting injured twice and out a good length of time both times last year has affected her psychologically. Perhaps she just needs to have a game like one of these to get her mojo back.

Let's start with video #1 vs Then #3 Texas (32 points) where she carried the team on her back down the stretch:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've seen on this board and other UConn boards people really down on Azzi: she hasn't lived up to the hype, she disappears in big games, yada yada yada. I was upset with her play yesterday as most of us were. However, I tend to think it's only a matter of time before we see the Azzi that a lot of us seem to be forgetting about. So I'll put up 3 videos on three different posts as a reminder of what she can do in big games when she's in the groove.

I tend to think getting injured twice and out a good length of time both times last year has affected her psychologically. Perhaps she just needs to get a game like one of these to get her mojo back.

Let's start with video #1 vs Then #3 Texas (32 points) where she carried the team on her back down the stretch:

You are correct. When kids are recruited for Uconn fan put superhuman expectations on them. The hype is excessive. They can jump straight up 5 feet and dunk--one player now on Uconn. Azzi is a terrific player, wonderful kid. She has only one BAD attribute --she is human. Sometimes she's great sometimes she's not. That applies to every kid on this team.
Geno---walks on water, motivates the unmotivated, reads the minds of players--Won't do this, will never do that. Each time, under the right circumstance--he will do most anything to win. He took transfers--a previous no-no. He'd never play U Tenn--now he does. Dorka, Lou, where would Uconn have been last year without those TRANSFERS.
We hype, we praise, we embellish, and we create a terrible expectation.
When they lose--shame on us--all of us. That's when the praise for playing their hearts out knowing they are losing--should come.

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome. Greatly appreciate you sharing these clips with us, especially for the naysayers and the doubters out there. Azzi will be fine. She is still one of the best shooters in college basketball, as these clips show. Azzi with the big heart and amazing smile, will be fine. She will bounce back and continue to have an amazing season to her expectations and not some other person's unrealistic expectations.

Reaction Score

I tend to think getting injured twice and out a good length of time both times last year has affected her psychologically. Perhaps she just needs to have a game like one of these to get her mojo back.

Re watching the Texas game.... I was amazed at the skill Texas players share with N.D.... flopping!!

Reaction Score
You are correct. When kids are recruited for Uconn fan put superhuman expectations on them. The hype is excessive. They can jump straight up 5 feet and dunk--one player now on Uconn. Azzi is a terrific player, wonderful kid. She has only one BAD attribute --she is human. Sometimes she's great sometimes she's not. That applies to every kid on this team.
Geno---walks on water, motivates the unmotivated, reads the minds of players--Won't do this, will never do that. Each time, under the right circumstance--he will do most anything to win. He took transfers--a previous no-no. He'd never play U Tenn--now he does. Dorka, Lou, where would Uconn have been last year without those TRANSFERS.
We hype, we praise, we embellish, and we create a terrible expectation.
When they lose--shame on us--all of us. That's when the praise for playing their hearts out knowing they are losing--should come.
You make an excellent group of points. One of which is: Uconn has had to reach out to new sources ( eg international ) to attract top players. We don't automatically get " the top ranked player in the nation" anymore. And a bunch of teams are attracting excellent players ( Duke, South Carolina, LSU, NC State, Colorado, Stanford). so we have to learn to play like a well oiled, smart machine. Maybe by March we shall be.

Reaction Score
Nobody (realisticly) says that she can’t play at a high level, but what realists say is: she has too few games in which she plays at that level.
Absolutely correct. Otherwise, there would be 30 videos, not three.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno has gotten complacent with his recruiting. For too long the top players stood in line to play for UConn. Its not tha way anymore. This is especially true in respect to post players. I suspect the Geno's rep, which has been his most attractive atribute in recruiting, has not been stellar for post players recently.

Reaction Score
Azzi had a big game against Texas.Chrystin had 28 points her freshman year against Notre Dame. Aubrey had a big game, her freshman year against Seton hall. If you want to be an all American, you Gotta do it night after night. unfortunately, we live in a world where it’s what have you done for me lately. Let’s see if Rivers from NC State can’t put up numbers like she did this past Sunday.Azzi what is a legend as a sophomore in high school maybe she was an early bloomer every year you have to improve. I wish you the best.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Perhaps Geno has gotten complacent with his recruiting. For too long the top players stood in line to play for UConn. Its not tha way anymore. This is especially true in respect to post players. I suspect the Geno's rep, which has been his most attractive atribute in recruiting, has not been stellar for post players recently.
Complacent??? He's got 9 McD AA's. 2 of which were HS POYs. And that doesn't include Muhl and Edwards (or El Alfy). With at least 2 more top 20 players coming in next year. How is that complacent??

Reaction Score
Azzi is a great scorer, even a great shooter, but she is an good but not great 3 point shooter. In her games last year against Iowa, Texas and NC State she hit 63.63% on two point baskets and 45.16% on three pointers and these were the games that put her in a conversation for AA. For the season she was 57.89% on two pointers and 34% on threes. My focus for Azzi would be the mid range game at 60% or better and take a couple 3s once she heats up. This is not critical of Azzi, this is wondering why the coaches are focusing her on the three ball.

Reaction Score
Let's say Azzi averages 18 points per game. What does that mean? It means roughly 50% of the time she's not going to hit that average. Sunday was one of those under average games. No need to slit your wrists. It happens. Not only that, it has to happen. It's never not happened. Azzi, accept it and don't dwell on it, otherwise you become your own worst enemy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom