OT: - Memories of Don Shula | The Boneyard

OT: Memories of Don Shula

Reaction Score
Two Floridians, one a native, the other an import, were two of the greatest sportspeople ever to grace their respective games. Don Shula died a few days ago at 90, the most successful coach in NFL history. Chris Evert, one-time queen of the tennis courts, was born in South Florida. Aside from their greatness as coach and player (Don was both), they exemplified twin qualities that separated them from most of their peers. They won and lost with grace. Geno is much the same. I always felt better about when the Dolphins lost or when Chrissie lost because Shula and Evert handled the losses so well.
Bum Phillips, the old Houston coach, said that Don could beat you with his team and take your team and beat you with your team. That's how great he was, and the difference a great coach could make.
When I was in graduate school, I went to the Florida State high school tennis championships to watch a slight, pigtailed young girl use a two-handed backstroke to crush balls over the net. She smiled a lot and won easily. A sports writer opined that if Chrissie were playing a wall, he'd bet on her.
These are memories from my youth, ones I still treasure. I've never been a good loser (though an exceptional winner). But wherever I'm down about a loss, I think of Don and Chrissie and remember their endless grace in handling losing and their humility in winning. True examples of how the game of life in meant to be played.

Reaction Score
Loss of a great human, coach, teacher, and champion. RIP, Don Shula.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom