Memorial Day thanks......... | The Boneyard

Memorial Day thanks.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
............to those of you who served and those who are serving today in our armed forces. Most of us understand where we have been and where we would be today without your dedication. At times like this, I think not only of you but also of your (our) families who worried about you and prayed for your safety during your time away, not to mention those who had to grieve and those who grieve today. Stay well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very well said.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Well said, but it is Memorial Day, not Veterans day. Or have we morphed this into Veterans Day II?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Memorial Day is a federal holiday set aside to rememberthe men and women who have died while serving in the armed forces. Veterean's Day is a federal holiday that honors thosemen and women that served in the armed services.

Reaction Score
Well said, but it is Memorial Day, not Veterans day. Or have we morphed this into Veterans Day II?

PHIL - i understand what you are asking. This country has seen a whole lot of traditional holidays "morphed" and even abandoned, along with many other symbols of our solidarity and nationhood.

But, fortunately, both Mem Day and Vet Day have withstood the erosion thus far. (If you'll note the Subject line, it clearly says "Memorial Day thanks..." Personally, I take both of these days as an opportunity to salute both the living and the dead of our various service branches, though I also try to acknowledge the living any time I see them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sadly, Phil, for many they are treated as one and the same. As you imply and vtc states they are unique in their purposes and I for one and at church tomorrow will recognize those have given everything for the service of their nation. That does not negate my gratitude for those who have and who continue to serve. To confound the two diminishes the importance of each.

Reaction Score
It seems like a lifetime since I served in the navy and maybe it was(1965-1969). The world was much different at that time.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a little History 101 about these holidays.

Memorial Day started as "Decoration Day" as an aftermath of the Civil War. The early practice was for townspeople to gather somewhere in town, then march solemnly to the nearby cemetery (to the beat of a drum) and, upon arrival, decorate the graves (and there were a lot of them) of fallen servicmen. As time passed, this tradition faded and so it was logical for Decoration Day to become Memorial Day, to honor the fallen.

Veterans Day (no apostrophe) began as Armistice Day after World War I, that "War to End All Wars." The Armistice was signed on November 11, 1918, so for years the nation paused on the 11th hour of the 11th day to pay homage to those who served and died in that conflict. In the '50's (Eisenhower era) the holiday became Veterans Day to honor all veterans of all past conflicts (a popular gesture, considering the 16 million or so vets created by WW II).

These holidays have inevitably become "morphed," as someone put it. Here in Norwalk, we have only one big parade each year, on Memorial Day. Frankly it is more like a July4 event, though the recurring theme is "Honor Our Veterans -- Support Our Troops!" It is a practical matter; since school is not yet out, all the bands are ready to march and play and all the youth organizations (scouts, little leagues, etc.) are able to participate. And the weather is usually good. Our Veterans Day ceremony has a strong Memorial Day theme. I for one am not uncomfortable with this arrangement so long as we touch all the patriotic bases somehow between Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day.

Honor Our Veterans. Support Our Troops. God Bless America.

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
PHIL - i understand what you are asking. This country has seen a whole lot of traditional holidays "morphed" and even abandoned, along with many other symbols of our solidarity and nationhood.

But, fortunately, both Mem Day and Vet Day have withstood the erosion thus far. (If you'll note the Subject line, it clearly says "Memorial Day thanks..." Personally, I take both of these days as an opportunity to salute both the living and the dead of our various service branches, though I also try to acknowledge the living any time I see them.

As someone still serving, your warm words are greatly appreciated. God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom