MeganW: First-team AA and the clear leader of the team | The Boneyard

MeganW: First-team AA and the clear leader of the team

Reaction Score
Like many, I have been a big MW fan since before she arrived on campus. There was a lot of hoopla about her, as we know.

Like many, I have been a bit impatient with her slower-than-maybe-I-would-have-preferred development. We all saw flashes of her prowess in freshman year, and much more so last year.

Now, she is playing like a first-team AA, and there is yet so much more upside. She can get much better on defense, and just take over games more and more.

I remember (I think I do) the advice Geno gave Stewie right before her senior year. All he told her was, "Whenever you are on the court--offense, defense, transition--I want you to dominate." That's all he said: "Dominate." He left it up to Stewie to decide how to implement his wise counsel.

I really don't care about stats. As we know they are deceiving.

My question to the veteran BY's, who know lots more than I do: what else does MW have to do to be the very best college player she can be?

Thank you in advance.

At the beginning of the season, w/o Evina, I thought maybe we could get to the Elite 8. But now, with everyone losing? Hmm. If MW and CW play like FTAA = first-team AA, and we stay healthy, who knows?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Megan attacks the basket she comes on like a freight train, which I really like. But sometimes, she is a little out of control and gets herself into trouble. Geno spoke about this the other day when he said something like Megan will learn when to go hard to the basket and when not to. The other thing I think she can improve on is her defensive footwork, doing a better job of staying in front of the player she’s guarding.

Reaction Score
Thank you. These are excellent observations.

I remember KiaN had the same issue of attacking the basket not in the most subtle way. And she did improve.

If MW can become the next coming of KellyF qua shutdown defender, wow! Remember the perennial look on the best player on the opposing team sitting on the bench near the end of the game after she went something like 3-19 from the field after being guarded by KF? The poor girl was shaking her head in disbelief, as if to say, "This has never happened to me before."

Reaction Score
In addition to what has been mentioned above (defense and staying under control), she needs to get better at finishing around the basket. She misses too many bunnies. Also, her shot selection can be improved -- she forces up some contested outside shots. Having said that, it is a joy to watch how much she has improved, and that she is clearly becoming a leader on this team.

Reaction Score
Good points all.

I agree about finishing.

Her shot selection will improve as she adjusts to being the go to player. She will figure out more and more how to have the game come to her.

Her upside is so huge. We will be really, really, really (to quote Geno) good next year. But I am getting ahead of myself. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Like many, I have been a big MW fan since before she arrived on campus. There was a lot of hoopla about her, as we know.

Like many, I have been a bit impatient with her slower-than-maybe-I-would-have-preferred development. We all saw flashes of her prowess in freshman year, and much more so last year.

Now, she is playing like a first-team AA, and there is yet so much more upside. She can get much better on defense, and just take over games more and more.

I remember (I think I do) the advice Geno gave Stewie right before her senior year. All he told her was, "Whenever you are on the court--offense, defense, transition--I want you to dominate." That's all he said: "Dominate." He left it up to Stewie to decide how to implement his wise counsel.

My question to the veteran BY's, who know lots more than I do: what else does MW have to do to be the very best college player she can be?

Thank you in advance.

At the beginning of the season, w/o Evina, I thought maybe we could get to the Elite 8. But now, with everyone losing? Hmm. If MW and CW play like FTAA = first-team AA, and we stay healthy, who knows?
WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? MW clearly is lucky to start, benefits from soft rims and fortunate bounces....nothing to see here, move along. :rolleyes:

Being just a tad superstitious, I hope you don't whammy this start of a season...;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The other thing I think she can improve on is her defensive footwork, doing a better job of staying in front of the player she’s guarding.

I think both offensive and defensive footwork. She's become a great shooter, and I fear that she's depending too much on her offensive game from 15 feet out. Chris Dailey is the best footwork coach out there, and I hope she's working with Megan every day, because she's spending a lot of her time playing the 4, needing to defend and finish against bigger players.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Having seen flashes her freshman and more so sophomore years, I think she has self confidence issues. Don't get me wrong. I love this kid and want her to play up to her potential every game. I certainly am not a top shelf analyst but what I see is a player who comes out a bit tentative to try and see if she's "got it" tonight. When she does, she's unbelievable. If she doesn't, she stays a bit tentative. A shot of self confidence would give her the ability to go out every game and declare "I have it" right at the outset. Be a bit like KML and score with confidence and regularity shooting a dagger when the opposition sees a bit of daylight. Her stroke is so sweet it's a joy to watch.
As most have mentioned, defense is weak. That area IMHO takes determination and resolution that your opposition is in for a long night. Attitude has a lot to do with defense.
I believe MW will be an AA this year and next. She will be the go to scorer and she will step up, as she already has shown she can.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I wasn't high on Megan at the start of this season, based upon what I saw the prior two years - her inability to finish around the basket, her inability to post up and her inability to dribble in traffic. But her newly-gained speed and strength has minimised or eliminated most of my criticisms. She is STILL a great stand-still shooter and knows [masterfully] how to use her screens. But this year, she has added to her repertoire by introducing an effective pull-up jumper and the ability to more effectively get to the rim, albeit in a straight line.
Based on what [I thought] I knew, I predicted that CW and newcomer AG would be the Huskies scoring leaders this season, but I was wrong. Megan is legit - a bona fide all-around scorer - to the benefit of the Huskies won-lost record and my personal viewing pleasure!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Having seen flashes her freshman and more so sophomore years, I think she has self confidence issues. Don't get me wrong. I love this kid and want her to play up to her potential every game. I certainly am not a top shelf analyst but what I see is a player who comes out a bit tentative to try and see if she's "got it" tonight. When she does, she's unbelievable. If she doesn't, she stays a bit tentative. A shot of self confidence would give her the ability to go out every game and declare "I have it" right at the outset. Be a bit like KML and score with confidence and regularity shooting a dagger when the opposition sees a bit of daylight. Her stroke is so sweet it's a joy to watch.
As most have mentioned, defense is weak. That area IMHO takes determination and resolution that your opposition is in for a long night. Attitude has a lot to do with defense.
I believe MW will be an AA this year and next. She will be the go to scorer and she will step up, as she already has shown she can.

I think her confidence is fine this year. That was definitely not the case her freshman year. I remember several times her body language on the bench was really negative. I think Geno's break her down and build her up approach to freshmen really took a toll on her. I think she knows and accepts that she's the 1A option (Christyn being the 1B option) on offense. Also, she's bringing the ball up the court quite a bit this year, which I take as an indication that the coaches really trust her to do more than shoot.

Reaction Score

Thank you in advance.

You are right in so many wayS but in the comment HIGHLIGHED ABOVE. i DON"t think her development was slowed by anyone except Geno. He had others that could score, rebound, he needed DEFENSE from the kid.
I recall her hound dog expression sitting on the bench when the last bench player went in while she sat. Megan never lost the ability to score or rebound or play basketball. What she lacked (Big assumption here) was her following Geno's orders or not practicing well.
What Megan Walker needs to do--she is doing. Each game she is better than the last. As many have expressed she is their leader by example and by vocal instructions. She leads!! Frosh tend to look to the leader when the game starts going sour--if they crumble the team crumbles. Megan has held her head high and played a stronger game as they fell behind, no worry on her face, confidence in herself and her team. That's a LEADER. MEGAN WALKER.

Reaction Score
Walker has 5 offensive rebounds in 7 games. that's pathetic! Griffin has 13 in half the minutes. and I don't think she's very good getting the ball to her teammates yet. other than those things, I am really enjoying watching her this year. I agree with Bigboote that there's nothing wrong with her confidence level this season. she is so much more aggressive .that really was what held her back the first 2 years, but I think that was due to a lot of peeking at the bench to see if she was going to get yelled at, or yanked. it was painful to watch her the last 2 years, knowing what a talented player she is. I saw , and continue to see, a lot of that with Williams. and she's probably more talented than Walker. I hate to see these talented players not playing their games. too much thinking and worrying, instead of just reacting. Griffin, on the other hand, plays like she could care less if she gets yelled at.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seems you have a theme going. Or are you cutting and pasting? (same thing)
Just starting with basics, like layups and FREE throws. Sorry if it's repetitive.

Meg's current stat line is shooting of .475/.472/.786 with 21.6 ppg and 8.3 rpg. Those stellar numbers are All-American and even POY worthy.

Reaction Score
Just starting with basics, like layups and FREE throws. Sorry if it's repetitive.

Meg's current stat line is shooting of .475/.472/.786 with 21.6 ppg and 8.3 rpg. Those stellar numbers are All-American and even POY worthy.
Sorry you thought my comment negative---I was kidding, My bad!! Keep repeating. I knew what you were doing. I enjoyed. My funny was an UN funny. Sorry

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom