Mikayla PivecOregon State
Shadeen SamuelsSeton Hall
DiJonai CarringtonStanford
Mia DavisTemple
Rennia DavisTennessee
Kayla WellsTexas A&M
Michaela OnyenwereUCLA
Borislava HristovaWashington State

That’s 3 of 3 (our returning starters) that’s been named to national “watch” lists. Only a select few of the top players from around the country are named.

This recognition by the selection committee for these awards should be reassuring to all UConn fans as to how our nominees rank among their peers across the country.

I expect ONO to be added after the first of the year. She didn’t get enough playing time last year to make the impression she would have had to - to make a preseason watch list as the 3 returning starters did. I don’t recognize all of the players named here, but I agree and concur with the ones I do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is Mikayla Pivec on this list? Pivec is not a natural forward? Mik (as she is known at OSU) should be on the Ann Meyers list. Only reason I can come up with is that she is probably the best rebounding guard in the country? Doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
That’s 3 of 3 (our returning starters) that’s been named to national “watch” lists. Only a select few of the top players from around the country are named.

This recognition by the selection committee for these awards should be reassuring to all UConn fans as to how our nominees rank among their peers across the country.

I expect ONO to be added after the first of the year. She didn’t get enough playing time last year to make the impression she would have had to - to make a preseason watch list as the 3 returning starters did. I don’t recognize all of the players named here, but I agree and concur with the ones I do.
Only a select few of the top players are named? Brunelle? These clowns don't even know how much she'll play yet. Might as well put Griffin on the list too.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Carrington really is more a guard as well, but since they called Stanford's PG a 2, I guess they had to make their 2 a 3.

UCLA has very little size. Onyenwere might project more as a 3 as a pro, but I think she's been playing the 4 pretty much her entire career.

Again, which players they pick for which watch lists makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
Sam Brunelle didn’t play NCAA at all last year so I I’m thinking ONO will be on the the list based on her summer.
Griffin too. She's played as much as Brunelle.

Reaction Score

This isn't ONO's category though. This is SF and I would expect her on the C list.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brunelle's on here because she became a "name" after she committed to Notre Dame at the time she was ESPN's #1. That's not a criticism of Brunelle or anyone really. I suspect Azzi Fudd will be on these types of lists going into college as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This isn't ONO's category though. This is SF and I would expect her on the C list.

I didn't expressly indicate it, but I assumed that readers knew the list I was referring to for Liv was the posts/centers list. That's what I get for assuming. :(

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But Brunelle is no Fudd or Beuckers....

I would think that you have to perform at a high level at THIS level BEFORE you should be added on any watch list. Being a great player in HS is no guarantee you're going to come in an be great your freshman season, playing against other players that are as good or better than you, older than you, and are more experienced than you.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Will Meg play the SF or PF (like Pheesa)? I wonder what Geno would say.

Reaction Score
Brunelle's on here because she became a "name" after she committed to Notre Dame at the time she was ESPN's #1. That's not a criticism of Brunelle or anyone really. I suspect Azzi Fudd will be on these types of lists going into college as well.
Look at my ID--then take some salt-- What you say is my belief then add ND to the name--waaa La!!!

Reaction Score
No, but she had been touted for a couple of years as the #1 and got a lot of press. That stuff sticks with people who don't necessarily follow the high school game much.
I also think people felt they needed to throw ND a bone....

Reaction Score
Will Meg play the SF or PF (like Pheesa)? I wonder what Geno would say.
I think Geno would say it doesn't matter...and that he trains basketball players not specific positioned players... I would say last year we had a PF and not a C as starter and this year we will have a C and not a PF as a starter unless Evelyn starts. To me, her and Aubrey are the PFs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Geno would say it doesn't matter...and that he trains basketball players not specific positioned players... I would say last year we had a PF and not a C as starter and this year we will have a C and not a PF as a starter unless Evelyn starts. To me, her and Aubrey are the PFs.

He would likely say that but he might also say that the PF in his offense has been played by Maya, Stewie, Gabby and Pheesa. It's been the featured position in his offense. This year may be a little different but I suspect Meg will play that position with Anna on the wing. Meg will likely be more comfortable setting up at the elbow than Anna.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Carrington really is more a guard as well, but since they called Stanford's PG a 2, I guess they had to make their 2 a 3.

Maybe the committee shifted everything and Stanford's 5 will be named to the Lieberman watch list.

Reaction Score
I believe Charli Collier was on a preseason list last year as well. Either the PF or C one

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe the committee shifted everything and Stanford's 5 will be named to the Lieberman watch list.

Haley Jones is supposed to be versatile, maybe she'll be their PG.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Someone here actually predicted that. I didn't agree.

Yeah I think their backcourt is set w/ Williams and Carrington. Why try to fix it if it's not broke? The other 3 starters is a bit hard to predict.

Or maybe Jones can play point-forward-center the way Nicole Powell did years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom