Megan Walker & her free throws... | The Boneyard

Megan Walker & her free throws...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Megan W..jpeg

One under-reported, and perhaps under-debated, stat from Megan Walker's freshman season is her free throw shooting. Overall, she went 37-49 for an accuracy rate of 75.5%. On the surface, not bad, but hardly remarkable. However, consider the 49 trips to the line. Gabby only had 69 tries, in almost twice the minutes. Crystal had 31 attempts in more than twice the minutes.

So, Megan was fouled fairly often, even more often, per minute, than Katie Lou and Napheesa, the most frequently fouled player. (Free throw attempts per minute on the court. KLS = .089, Pheesa = .096 and MMW =.098) :D

So what? Well, given that Megan made her free throws at a 75% clip, being fouled often is a huge benefit for UConn. Maybe, at double the minutes this season, she will take double the free throws. Maybe more than double. Something to watch for... :cool:

The bottom line is Megan is a physically talented, explosive offensive player. Those types of players are hard to guard and get fouled a lot. That will be good for Megan and good for Uconn. :)

Go Huskies..!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excellent point. While MW is a very talented player, what she did better than anyone as the NHSPOY was to take the ball to the basket. Her strength and athleticism makes her an offensive force in the paint. With more minutes I expect to see MW driving to the basket much more frequently this season. She will likely be fouled a lot in the process. I would hope to see her FT percentage rise somewhere north of 80%.

Reaction Score
Walker has always had a nose for the ball..........I would expect a minimum of 2-3 offensive rebounds most games and the put backs and fouls that follow.........I remember she rushed some of her foul shouts last year resulting in misses, she should be around 80% with a bit more concentration this season...........anything over 80% is gravy in my book

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The numbers are quite interesting. I am not too surprised however as she was always looking to drive to the hoop. I love this kid and believe she will have a soph year to compare with some of our best. It was so encouraging to see her one on one with Phesa, this off season. I believe Phesa has taken MW under wing and given some tutelage that will be invaluable. I'm quite anxious to see MW come out and claim a starting role that she does not relinquish. I know in my heart that Geno believes in her and will be quite pleased to see the transformation. Of course, all this positive language is my inner self willing her to succeed beyond expectation.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
View attachment 31916

One under-reported, and perhaps under-debated, stat from Megan Walker's freshman season is her free throw shooting. Overall, she went 37-49 for an accuracy rate of 75.5%. On the surface, not bad, but hardly remarkable. However, consider the 49 trips to the line. Gabby only had 69 tries, in almost twice the minutes. Crystal had 31 attempts in more than twice the minutes.

So, Megan was fouled fairly often, even more often, per minute, than Katie Lou and Napheesa, the most frequently fouled player. (Free throw attempts per minute on the court. KLS = .089, Pheesa = .096 and MMW =.098) :D

So what? Well, given that Megan made her free throws at a 75% clip, being fouled often is a huge benefit for UConn. Maybe, at double the minutes this season, she will take double the free throws. Maybe more than double. Something to watch for... :cool:

The bottom line is Megan is a physically talented, explosive offensive player. Those types of players are hard to guard and get fouled a lot. That will be good for Megan and good for Uconn. :)

Go Huskies..!!

This is the kind of post that I enjoy especially. It brings something new to the discussion, and it’s not merely opinions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a pair minor wet blanket on interesting stats -
1. Her rate of foul shots might be a result of playing many of her minutes in the second half of blow-outs and against bench players.

2. A free throw percentage of is an team scoring percentage of percentage of 1.5 per possession - Uconn overall was at 1.39 so just a small drop in FT % would change the benefit equation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The numbers are quite interesting. I am not too surprised however as she was always looking to drive to the hoop. I love this kid and believe she will have a soph year to compare with some of our best. It was so encouraging to see her one on one with Phesa, this off season. I believe Phesa has taken MW under wing and given some tutelage that will be invaluable. I'm quite anxious to see MW come out and claim a starting role that she does not relinquish. I know in my heart that Geno believes in her and will be quite pleased to see the transformation. Of course, all this positive language is my inner self willing her to succeed beyond expectation.
Agreed, to piggyback on your thoughts, I’ve already assumed that Walker will be one of the two new starters, and that she will have made the leap. No more using the word “if” for me when referencing Walker. I know we should never assume, but I’m going to anyway.

I’m assuming Walker will start. I’m assuming she will get more leash from Geno this season, and play the type of basketball that inspired Geno to recruit her. By game #10, Megan should be settled in. Of course she’ll get better as the season goes along, but I think we’ll see the Megan Walker we were hoping to see last year. The training wheels have been removed. She knows what she’s doing now. I think Megan will be a bright spot this season, and the least of Geno’s worries.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed, to piggyback on your thoughts, I’ve already assumed that Walker will be one of the two new starters, and that she will have made the leap. No more using the word “if” for me when referencing Walker. I know we should never assume, but I’m going to anyway. I’m assuming Walker will get more leash from Geno this season. By game #10, Megan should be settled in. Of course she’l Get better as the season goes along, but I think we’ll see the Megan Walker that set women’s high school basketball on its ear. The training wheels have been removed.
You know me Scoop, I've been saying pretty much the same since the season ended.

Reaction Score
I was truly impressed by these stats, which may indicate my hesitations / doubts about MW are off somewhat maybe even completely.
The other interesting point was much of her time on the court was against subs on the other team or once the game was already lobsided.
Put those two together and I think her growth, development or output will fall somewhere in between.
It does though make me more hopeful about the degree of her soph leap. If she's close to what's expected by many here, this team will be scarily good by mid season.
Bronx23

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was truly impressed by these stats, which may indicate my hesitations / doubts about MW are off somewhat maybe even completely.
The other interesting point was much of her time on the court was against subs on the other team or once the game was already lobsided.
Put those two together and I think her growth, development or output will fall somewhere in between.
It does though make me more hopeful about the degree of her soph leap. If she's close to what's expected by many here, this team will be scarily good by mid season.
Bronx23

Nothing wrong with being "cautious". It's a wise man that tempers his expectations and enthusiasm. I think you'll like what you see this season from Megan. She knows she under whelmed last season. It would not surprise me to see Crystal, Napheesa and believe it or not, Christyn "push" and inspire her to get better and improve her play this season. You don't want a freshman to come in and out work or out perform you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I sure hope you're right.
I think CW will play a significant role from early on. This should motivate MW, as you said. I think CW is clearly a guard capable of controlling the ball, shooting and passing. She also has a bit more bravado than MW, which hopefully drives her to greatness.
MW sticking with it and I'm sure reviewing last year over and over again, now must know what she needs to do. Implementing it is the next big step. Only time, some successes and even some errors or even failures will be telling what she does with those things.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom