Meg Culmo | The Boneyard

Meg Culmo

Reaction Score
Am I crazy not to want a Tommy Heinsohn level homer? I like the way Meg and Eric give credit to the opponent. UConn wasn't good tonight and Tulane was doing everything right. I don't think she overstepped at all. Give credit to an opponent playing very well and causing UConn all kinds of problems.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There are many things I don't like about Meg's broadcasting, but her honest assessment or opponents isn't one of them. I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt to hear it, but I think it makes commentary more interesting. So my opinion is that her honest comments about Tulane's good plays and player performance is just fine.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Can someone please tell Meg that SNY (UConn) pays her salary and not Tulane.
Not a whole lot of positives to point out for UConn, whereas Tulane was making plays and putting the pressure on UConn. That was the story of the game and Meg pointed it out. Tough to make the Huskies sound good when they play like they did. Be grateful we stole a win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Am I crazy not to want a Tommy Heinsohn level homer? I like the way Meg and Eric give credit to the opponent. UConn wasn't good tonight and Tulane was doing everything right. I don't think she overstepped at all. Give credit to an opponent playing very well and causing UConn all kinds of problems.

I generally agree that I want my announcers to see the positives of our opponents and not be blind homers but at times, she went into strong cheers which I thought was a little annoying. After, Meg disclosed her close friendship with a tulane assistant coach. Anyway, props for Tulane for not going down without a fight but
to be accurate, except for Naphessa and Gabby (defensively), we did not play well or with any confidence. I have never seen us force so many balls into triple coverage. Crystal nearly blew it at the end. Kia out will hurt.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Meg had it right! Tulane should be praised for their game plan and execution.

People complain about blowouts, then along comes a real close game and we get complaints about our announcers being honest.

There is a reason the word "fan" is short for fanatic!

Reaction Score
I am generally not a great fan of Meg, but on this score, I'm with her. I don't think she was unreasonably hard on UConn at all. And what is she supposed to say when a team that is supposed to lose by 30-40 points loses one of its key players a couple of minutes into the game and then plays UConn even for most of the game? Hell, their offense consistently put moves on UConn's vaunted defense that shouldn't have worked, but did. And at times, UConn's shooting, to put it mildly, sucked.

So what is an announcer supposed to do? Say everything's just fine, and they'll get it straightened out and Geno just needs to make some adjustments? (I gotta say, a couple of times, I thought Stockton outcoached Geno, but maybe that's just me). An announcer loses all credibility if he/she becomes that much of a homer.

Reaction Score
I don't like close games, but I won't not watch.
I am generally not a great fan of Meg, but on this score, I'm with her. I don't think she was unreasonably hard on UConn at all. And what is she supposed to say when a team that is supposed to lose by 30-40 points loses one of its key players a couple of minutes into the game and then plays UConn even for most of the game? Hell, their offense consistently put moves on UConn's vaunted defense that shouldn't have worked, but did. And at times, UConn's shooting, to put it mildly, sucked.

So what is an announcer supposed to do? Say everything's just fine, and they'll get it straightened out and Geno just needs to make some adjustments? (I gotta say, a couple of times, I thought Stockton outcoached Geno, but maybe that's just me). An announcer loses all credibility if he/she becomes that much of a homer.
When did you think Stockton out coached Geno? I didn't think it was a coaching thing... just some senior Green Wave players playing the game of their lives tonight.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, after announcing blowout after blowout, it must have been enjoyable for both Meg and Eric to have to describe 4th quarter plays that actually had a bearing on the game's outcome. I thought Meg was spot on in the majority of her calls. Tulane earned her praises with their play. It appeared that we played with a lot less intensity on both offense and defense then we did against South Carolina and Meg was correctly pointed out that on several different occasions when we drove into the lane, our guards were open but instead of passing it back out we tried to make plays, which unfortunately led to several turnovers. Hey, how many times did someone post that they wanted the league to get better so that UCONN had to earn a victory.

Reaction Score
Why don't you tell her since you're the only one who seems concerned about it.

Reaction Score

First welcome as a new fan here. :)
Having said that, me thinks you are going to find yourself on a island with this one. ;) One should post any quotes you disagree with from her and why. Then we can let the debate begin...Good luck getting any traction with this one...:D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know Debbie Baer Fiske is a UConn favorite, but announcing-wise, I'll take Eric and Meg over the radio pair any day.
Yeah Deb has a funny sound to her... but I don't listen to the radio often

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom