Meet UConn's Newcomers: Tyler Polley | The Boneyard

Meet UConn's Newcomers: Tyler Polley

Reaction Score
Mr. Polley sounds great

Meet UConn's Newcomers: Good Genes Helped Tyler Polley Get To Storrs

"I was joking with him in the summertime," Tommy Polley said. "I said, 'I'm going to be like [Lonzo] Ball's daddy and do this and that.' And he said, 'no, no, no.' I was joking. I could never do that.

"I let the kids have their own experiences. I don't want to overshadow Tyler's experiences. I'm going to come to a couple of games early on. I want him to experience the good and the bad, not always be there walking hand in hand, week to week. What happened this week? What happened this day? He has to learn to overcome adversity and learn if you made a good decision or a bad one. Whatever decisions you make, you need to make them because you're an adult now."

Reaction Score
"because growing up, watching UConn, I was like, 'Man, if I could play for this program.' It was like my dream to go here. Playing for this program is an honor and I just really want to be a part of something special."

I'm so excited after reading that. My favorite freshman (so far). This is who we want in terms of choice reasons. The rest is up to Ollie (and staff) and Tyler to not turn it into a nightmare.

Nonetheless its the perfect foundation, and the perfect clay to mold a 'UConn' player.

Reaction Score
Wow. Being able to play the way he does at that height. Reminds me a little of DeAndre Daniels.
Good comp but seems a lot more athletic. Just based on the put back, two handed dunks and elevation, and body control to the rim. No euro step from dd

Reaction Score
Good comp but seems a lot more athletic. Just based on the put back, two handed dunks and elevation, and body control to the rim. No euro step from dd
I found Daniels to be more of an explosive athlete than what I've seen on video from Polley. Not to say that Polley doesn't seem to have great athleticism or agility, but I think DD was a bit more explosive coming out of HS which is what probably led to his top 25 ranking.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
iirc DD was a 5* recruit. Let's let Tyler Phommachanh be Tyler Phommachanh and not overestimate his abilities. He's got a great attitude and potential but he's a long way from proving himself to be a DD, yet.

Reaction Score
I found Daniels to be more of an explosive athlete than what I've seen on video from Polley. Not to say that Polley doesn't seem to have crazy athleticism or agility, but I think DD was a bit more explosive coming out of HS which is what probably led to his top 25 ranking.

Agreed and Daniels is bigger. Polley looks to have some ability but there is a reason they aren't ranked the same.

Reaction Score
Agreed and Daniels is bigger. Polley looks to have some ability but there is a reason they aren't ranked the same.
For sure. Also believe I read somewhere too that Polley had a late growth spurt which may have to do with the lower ranking as well

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Polley really does remind me of DD, albeit a tiny bit shorter and less athletic.

Although DD improved a lot over his career at UConn, he was still pretty mechanical at the end and never developed a tight handle.

Tough to tell from highlight videos how good Polley is with the ball and/or taking people off the dribble.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
iirc DD was a 5* recruit. Let's let Tyler Phommachanh be Tyler Phommachanh and not overestimate his abilities. He's got a great attitude and potential but he's a long way from proving himself to be a DD, yet.

Yeah, we beat Kansas (!) for him.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Skills aside in the comparison to DD, I do think Polley looks about 100x more confident in his offensive game and moves than DD did in his high school tape, and about 10x more confident than DD during his senior year (except the NCAAT, I have no idea what possessed his soul those 6 games).

Also I feel like if there is going to be a "2011 Jeremy Lamb" on this team it would most likely be Tyler Phommachanh.

Reaction Score
And lets not forget it took DD 2 1/2 years to be play to the level expected out of high school. Tyler Phommachanh looks like a poor mans DD and thats no insult.

Reaction Score
There's a guy who you can put in the middle of the zone and can make 12-15 footers from the top of the post and in. As sledog says above isn't concerned with traffic you can tell, is comfortable when they collapse on him. Like to see if he can pass it to the low post and baseline, but love that video.

And dad, 33 has it right - breath of fresh air especially after last year.

pj

Reaction Score
He is a lot like Deandre just 3 inches shorter. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He is a lot like Deandre just 3 inches shorter. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

I think they're closer in height than that. Tyler Phommachanh's listed at 6'8" or 6'7". DD is 6'8.5".

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't really have a logical reason to support why but Polley's game in highlight tape form showcasing what he's capable of reminds me of Obi Enechionya from Temple. He was a great player for them too so it's certainly good company but their game is similar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom