Meet the Newcomers: Josh Carlton | The Boneyard

Meet the Newcomers: Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
14 points, 11 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game on 73% shooting? Damn, doesn't get much better than that.

I thought it was cool that the Courant interviewed Fultz for this. Dom Amore is definitely killing it this week.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"… Coming in here, it's kind of shocking for real. You don't really understand UConn's legacy until you get here. One of the things coach talks about, national championships. You don't get that at every school. Not every school has expectations of winning a national championships. So that's something that's very cool coming to UConn."

Other schools sell conferences. We sell National Championships.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
"I was hearing from a lot of people, 'what's going on at UConn?''

I thought everybody was going to want to come back more hungry. So I thought we were going to have a hungry team any way. The guys who left, if they didn't want to wear a UConn jersey, that was their decision.

So we know Carlton's opinion to the Hungry Husky thread - everyone.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not everyone has a wing man who was the number one draft choice. Too bad they were at an all boys Catholic school.:cool:

Reaction Score
14/11/3 blocks at dematha is pretty darn good. That school is a powerhouse with great coaching. I could see carlton turning into that 12/7/2 big that has killed uconn for years now. His skills are advanced, juat needs to maximize his athletic potential and learn the speed of the college game

Reaction Score

He's got size, uses his body well, soft hands, keeps the ball high, good footwork, solid low post moves, can finish, blocks shots, great attitude...kid's gonna be good.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
14/11/3 blocks at dematha is pretty darn good. That school is a powerhouse with great coaching. I could see carlton turning into that 12/7/2 big that has killed uconn for years now. His skills are advanced, juat needs to maximize his athletic potential and learn the speed of the college game
"I need to work on conditioning, getting stronger so it's not as easy to push me around. Even though I'm a big guy, still, guys have got more muscle than I do. So just getting stronger, going after every rebound. Coach [Ollie] is really stressing rebounds."

Carlos should have fun working with this kid. Me thinks Carlton has been going up against Cobb. Great to have a big with mass to educated the young uns what's ahead of them in the college game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So the question begs: are Polley and Carlton the type of players that @superjohn calls flotsam?!:cool:

And @superjohn can Carlton be the rim protector you feel is missing?

Love this kids game on both ends of the court. He may not be as intimidating a shot blocker as Amida, but I watched 4 years of Brimah and rarely saw those types of plays that Carlton showed in the tcf highlight film.

Reaction Score
So the question begs: are Polley and Carlton the type of players that @superjohn calls flotsam?!:cool:

And @superjohn can Carlton be the rim protector you feel is missing?

Love this kids game on both ends of the court. He may not be as intimidating a shot blocker as Amida, but I watched 4 years of Brimah and rarely saw those types of plays that Carlton showed in the tcf highlight film.
Carlton isn't even close to the rim protector Brimah is but he is way more skilled, he'll have a back to the basket game at this level. Completely different players and a poor comparison.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Carlton isn't even close to the rim protector Brimah is but he is way more skilled, he'll have a back to the basket game at this level. Completely different players and a poor comparison.
You must be very busy because I indicated almost exactly this except did not say "no where as close" about his rim protection. But he can jump and block and has the bb IQ to know when to do it and when to set up for a rebound. I'll take his balanced game any day over a savant blocker who could easily be game planned against and neutralized.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
"I was hearing from a lot of people, 'what's going on at UConn?'' Carlton said. "But I didn't worry about what was going on and people that left; this is me, this is my journey so I was going to stay focused and whatever happened, was going to happen. I'm here now. I didn't really worry. My mom, my dad, helped me stay focused. They reminded me, we chose UConn, you chose it, you're committed here. So don't go back on your promises. After a season like that, I thought everybody was going to want to come back more hungry. So I thought we were going to have a hungry team any way. The guys who left, if they didn't want to wear a UConn jersey, that was their decision."

I love this guy already. It's always about the journey.

Reaction Score
"I was hearing from a lot of people, 'what's going on at UConn?'' Carlton said. "But I didn't worry about what was going on and people that left; this is me, this is my journey so I was going to stay focused and whatever happened, was going to happen. I'm here now. I didn't really worry. My mom, my dad, helped me stay focused. They reminded me, we chose UConn, you chose it, you're committed here. So don't go back on your promises. After a season like that, I thought everybody was going to want to come back more hungry. So I thought we were going to have a hungry team any way. The guys who left, if they didn't want to wear a UConn jersey, that was their decision."

I love this guy already. It's always about the journey.

I like his parents telling him you made a commitment. That's dying thing these days, and not just in basketball in almost all aspects of life its so easy to just "decommit" and go in a different direction. Your word should mean something and you should realize that most good things don't come easy or else everyone would have them. I feel like this kid is ready to put in some real work. Looking forward to seeing him grow in a Uconn jersey!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If he doesn't play scared and can catch the ball with his hands and not his wrists he'll be very good. Already seems comfortable with his back to the basket. Defense and rebounding is a must when he's in

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His quote about his parents telling him he had to stick with his commitment seemed off to me, "don't go back on your promises." Poor choice of words?

Reaction Score
Carlton is going to play a lot in the rotating frontcourt. No doubt. Carlton is a prime example of why I am so pumped for the season to start. I love watching the players develop. Winning is great, gotta have it, but possession by possession, game by game, watching players getting better as they gain confidence and stretch their abilities, their game performance rising with the on court competitiveness and maturing team play. It's why I watch basketball. Players popping moves I haven't seen them make before, or just getting better doing what they do. It's not just the individual play, it is the improving team play as players learn the nuances of their teammates games and interact seamlessly. This year is a feast with so many new players to watch and the returning players having improved games. Bleed Blue fellas!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His highlights definitely make him look smooth and fundamentally sound. That post spin looks like his go to move, and he isn't scared of contact. There's something to work with here. Work on your defense, and develop a mid range jumper.

Reaction Score
His quote about his parents telling him he had to stick with his commitment seemed off to me, "don't go back on your promises." Poor choice of words?
What is your is issue with the statement? It was in response to Dom pushing his "why come to UConn with all the departures" nonsense that he's been pushing on all the newcomers.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What is your is issue with the statement? It was in response to Dom pushing his "why come to UConn with all the departures" nonsense that he's been pushing on all the newcomers.
"don't go back on your promises."Does that imply he thought about decommiting?

Reaction Score
So what if he did? But whether he did or didn't, if people were talking to him and his family about all the people leaving the team, it would be a reasonable to thing to say preemptively as well.

Reaction Score
Absolutely psyched to see this guy develop. Players that are already the product of great coaching should soar. He may develop into a steady contributor quickly.. best of luck young lad and bleed blue!!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom