Meet Jason Butikofer, UConn’s lead on all things name, image and likeness | The Boneyard

Meet Jason Butikofer, UConn’s lead on all things name, image and likeness

Reaction Score
For those interested in how NIL is working at UConn, this is an interesting article.

Note to the author: Arizona State is the Sun Devils, not the Wildcats. Just saying that before someone else points it out.

“Obviously with UConn being the only FBS school in the state and you’re in this huge footprint with all these population bases and the only professional team in the state of Connecticut is the WNBA, so I think it’s unique in that regard,” he said. “It’s like being ‘the show’ and I think that that can be very advantageous. … I see the upside potential here. Our athletes are front and center in the state and that’s a big deal.”

Alternate free link:

Meet Jason Butikofer, UConn’s lead on all things name, image and likeness

Reaction Score
Notably absent is the objective to develop NIL opportunities at UConn sufficient to compete with other universities who will direct major dollars to athletes like Miami did this spring. This seems like more a compliance position to protect conflicts with UConn's own sponsors, and just a resource position for kids to get direction. If facilities were part of the 'arms' race to get top players, I would think UConn's leader on NIL would be all about making connections with businesses and groups to keep our recruits here once we have them. Seeing players with lucrative deals would infer to potential recruits that they could expect the same. I kept reading the article expecting the next paragraph to tout some targeted result from this position. Leave it to a university to hire a person from academia to lead NIL without apparent money or business connections, nor specific experience, nor local connections. Doesn't sound like there is somebody else answering that description.

Reaction Score
I'm in the space as well and although I sense there is a bunch of stuff happening behind the scenes, I feel like it is similar to "dark money" in politics... it's impossible to really know.

Reaction Score
Notably absent is the objective to develop NIL opportunities at UConn sufficient to compete with other universities who will direct major dollars to athletes like Miami did this spring.
What Miami did was clearly against the NIL rules but got overlooked because NIL was so new and people were trying to figure out what is allowed and what is not. We'll see if they ever get reprimanded for it but I'm guessing the stuff they did will not be done going forward. Well at least until the P5 break away from the NCAA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What Miami did was clearly against the NIL rules but got overlooked because NIL was so new and people were trying to figure out what is allowed and what is not. We'll see if they ever get reprimanded for it but I'm guessing the stuff they did will not be done going forward. Well at least until the P5 break away from the NCAA.
Right. Boosters are still boosters. NIL doesn't change the fact that boosters can't provide financial incentives for kids to enroll. Can the NCAA police that in a world where they can provide financial benefits via NIL contracts after they enroll? That remains to be seen. Directly recruiting kids with NIL $ isn't ok. But the line is certainly fuzzy between that and saying "come to ____ University, we have many sponsors who will help you land NIL deals", which presumably is ok.

Reaction Score
Right. Boosters are still boosters. NIL doesn't change the fact that boosters can't provide financial incentives for kids to enroll. Can the NCAA police that in a world where they can provide financial benefits via NIL contracts after they enroll? That remains to be seen. Directly recruiting kids with NIL $ isn't ok. But the line is certainly fuzzy between that and saying "come to ____ University, we have many sponsors who will help you land NIL deals", which presumably is ok.
The Rubicon has been crossed.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Saw the D’Amelios started their own brand. I wonder if any Huskies will sign NIL deals with them.

Reaction Score

UConn Insider Article:
-> The marketplace will act as a one-stop-shop for brands, fans and donors looking to partner with student-athletes through NIL. From UConn women’s basketball star Paige Bueckers to homegrown Husky Donovan Clingan, athletes will now have the chance to easily promote and profit off their personal brands through one all-encompassing portal.

"There’s two pieces to this," said Jason Butikofer, UConn's pinpoint leader on its NIL activity. "I think there’s the corporation-brand piece of, ‘OK, I’m looking for a student-athlete to do an Instagram campaign with my company. I want to use a UConn student-athlete that’s on the basketball team. I can click here and search through all that and based on their profiles, get a concept of who’s a good fit.’ …

"I also think that this is a strong fan-facing deal because you have student-athletes that are willing to do shoutouts, appearances … I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to definitely serve as the epicenter of the ability to connect. It centralizes it instead of maybe DM-ing somebody on Instagram." <-

Direct link to Marketplace <<<

Reaction Score

UConn Insider Article:
-> The marketplace will act as a one-stop-shop for brands, fans and donors looking to partner with student-athletes through NIL. From UConn women’s basketball star Paige Bueckers to homegrown Husky Donovan Clingan, athletes will now have the chance to easily promote and profit off their personal brands through one all-encompassing portal.

"There’s two pieces to this," said Jason Butikofer, UConn's pinpoint leader on its NIL activity. "I think there’s the corporation-brand piece of, ‘OK, I’m looking for a student-athlete to do an Instagram campaign with my company. I want to use a UConn student-athlete that’s on the basketball team. I can click here and search through all that and based on their profiles, get a concept of who’s a good fit.’ …

"I also think that this is a strong fan-facing deal because you have student-athletes that are willing to do shoutouts, appearances … I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to definitely serve as the epicenter of the ability to connect. It centralizes it instead of maybe DM-ing somebody on Instagram." <-

Direct link to Marketplace <<<
TL;DR summary: It's a Cameo ripoff.

Reaction Score
Does Cameo cover autographs and personal appearances @ camps/events? Couldn’t tell ya - never ventured there.
I'm not sure myself, but visually the user interfaces are very similar.

Interestingly, Dorka and Sanogo (and other international students) are on there, despite reports that foreign students can't earn NIL money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom