Media recruiting lingo | The Boneyard

Media recruiting lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I've kind of gotten into the recruiting thing a little and developed interest in these summer time elite tournaments (like Peach Jam) and have been following a lot of the basketball bloggers and talking heads. Some of the recruiting and player evaluation lingo is kind of amusing. I'm not sure some of these guys realize how ridiculous it is but I guess they are just pushing for clicks and really don't care. But here is a list of a few of my favorites.

Prioritize - This school is prioritizing player A. Another blogger says the same school is prioritizing player B. Are they prioritizing both? Is the school playing player A off against Player B? A lot of prioritizing going on. If everyone is a priority nobody is amirite?

Bounce- Player A is a 6-6 wing with bounce. Player B is a bouncy 6-0 point guard. Player C is good off the bounce. But is Player C also bouncy? Is bounce still actually a dryer sheet?

Recruiting hard - Ok so I understand the meaning but can everyone be recruiting everyone hard? Does it hurt? What does that mean exactly? They call the most? They make promises they can't keep more often? They must actually ask, "who is recruiting you hard"?

Breakout - Everybody's breakin' out. What are they breaking out of? Have they been unfairly detained? I don't think everyone can have a breakout something at the same time or everything would be broke. Then what?

If you have any, toss em up here.

Reaction Score
So I've kind of gotten into the recruiting thing a little and developed interest in these summer time elite tournaments (like Peach Jam) and have been following a lot of the basketball bloggers and talking heads. Some of the recruiting and player evaluation lingo is kind of amusing. I'm not sure some of these guys realize how ridiculous it is but I guess they are just pushing for clicks and really don't care. But here is a list of a few of my favorites.

Prioritize - This school is prioritizing player A. Another blogger says the same school is prioritizing player B. Are they prioritizing both? Is the school playing player A off against Player B? A lot of prioritizing going on. If everyone is a priority nobody is amirite?

Bounce- Player A is a 6-6 wing with bounce. Player B is a bouncy 6-0 point guard. Player C is good off the bounce. But is Player C also bouncy? Is bounce still actually a dryer sheet?

Recruiting hard - Ok so I understand the meaning but can everyone be recruiting everyone hard? Does it hurt? What does that mean exactly? They call the most? They make promises they can't keep more often? They must actually ask, "who is recruiting you hard"?

Breakout - Everybody's breakin' out. What are they breaking out of? Have they been unfairly detained? I don't think everyone can have a breakout something at the same time or everything would be broke. Then what?

If you have any, toss em up here.

Recruiting hard only hurts if you recruit for longer than 4 hours.

Reaction Score

Good post. The "who's recruiting you hardest" question drives me insane. It's the most useless question ever. 'Well uh...West Texas State sends me postcards and texts me every day".

And yes, it's possible that I'm still bitter that we got all excited about Kelly Oubre because we were 'recruiting him hardest' at one point.

But still...how about a little creativity?

Reaction Score
Good post. The "who's recruiting you hardest" question drives me insane. It's the most useless question ever. 'Well uh...West Texas State sends me postcards and texts me every day".

And yes, it's possible that I'm still bitter that we got all excited about Kelly Oubre because we were 'recruiting him hardest' at one point.

But still...how about a little creativity?

I think it has a lot to do with the recruits don't want to give them their top schools. "Who are your top 5 schools that you want to attend" They don't want answer that question, but they are basically giving you that answer in who is recruiting you the hardest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom