MD AD says SU and Pitt gone soon | The Boneyard

MD AD says SU and Pitt gone soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The only way they're allowed to leave early is if things stabilize. If WVU, Louisville, etc leave as well.. no way. The remaining programs need the 27 months to figure out WTF they are going to do.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The article lost me when it mentioned 'Kevin Anderson' and 'envisioning' in the same sentence...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Unless he already knows that Louisville, WVU and Cincinnati are gone because ESPN has told the ACC that. With 5 of the 8 gone, they might be able to simply dissolve the football league. Or maybe there is a no-fault divorce clause from the hoops schools that they could implement, then dissolve the league.

Reaction Score
The only way they're allowed to leave early is if things stabilize. If WVU, Louisville, etc leave as well.. no way. The remaining programs need the 27 months to figure out WTF they are going to do.

No, it's exactly the opposite. They have to play in the Big East in '12 and '13, with at least two new members, so the Big East can be an AQ league in '14. The only way that Syracuse and Pitt are being let go early is if the Big East football conference collapses. The question is whether Anderson knows something we don't, or whether he's just talking to hear himself speak.

The foregoing analysis, by the way, is for football. There is no reason we couldn't let them out for everything else at the end of this academic year (and if the ACC would take them for everything other than football, that I can see happening).

Reaction Score
"He said the Big East has asked both Pittsburgh and Syracuse to stop coming to conference meetings and that the conference has signaled to their partners that “the transition could be sooner.”"

This indicates that the Big East may be signaling that Pitt and Cuse could leave sooner. He might mean to have said, "the ACC is telling its partners it could be sooner", but even if thats what he meant, it isn't definitive. Not sure this means much at all, just more b.s.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Perhaps the quotes from the MD AD prompted Marinatto's proclamation that Pitt and Cuse would be held to the 27 month provision?

I'm not sure as to the timing of everything but Marinatto's proclamation trumps anything an ACC AD may speculate on.

Reaction Score
I posted that link yesterday and they are not leaving early. This is wishful thinking on the ACC's part because 27 months is a long time to wait. Nobody is going anywhere unless someone does something to put BE football completely out of it's misery.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
No, it's exactly the opposite. They have to play in the Big East in '12 and '13, with at least two new members, so the Big East can be an AQ league in '14. The only way that Syracuse and Pitt are being let go early is if the Big East football conference collapses. The question is whether Anderson knows something we don't, or whether he's just talking to hear himself speak.

The foregoing analysis, by the way, is for football. There is no reason we couldn't let them out for everything else at the end of this academic year (and if the ACC would take them for everything other than football, that I can see happening).

Gotcha... I was thinking that there's a chance if the Big East was able to add schools quickly that the waiting period could be waved. I think the exit fees and waiting period for C-USA school is basically non-existant.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the quotes from the MD AD prompted Marinatto's proclamation that Pitt and Cuse would be held to the 27 month provision?quote]

I think Edsall is feeding his AD misinformation. He still has lingering anger from his previous AD and it's carrying over to MD.

Therapy Randy, therapy.

Reaction Score
Unless he already knows that Louisville, WVU and Cincinnati are gone because ESPN has told the ACC that. With 5 of the 8 gone, they might be able to simply dissolve the football league. Or maybe there is a no-fault divorce clause from the hoops schools that they could implement, then dissolve the league.

even if the above schools leave also, wouldnt' the BE keep everyone for the 27 months? whoever's left would want some time to figure out what theyr'e going to do, and it'd be tough for a school like USF to just completely fabricate a new schedule for next year, which is what they'd have to do.

Reaction Score
"He said the Big East has asked both Pittsburgh and Syracuse to stop coming to conference meetings and that the conference has signaled to their partners that “the transition could be sooner.”"

This indicates that the Big East may be signaling that Pitt and Cuse could leave sooner. He might mean to have said, "the ACC is telling its partners it could be sooner", but even if thats what he meant, it isn't definitive. Not sure this means much at all, just more b.s.
Of course they are not coming to meetings that concern who to invite to save the league, or the negotiation of future tv contracts, which they have royally screwed up.

I'm sure they will still attend meetings on matters that concern them.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And the Maryland AD also said that Randy Edsall was going to elevate the Maryland football program to new heights and bring increased excitement on the field and to the entire football program.

We can see how right he was on that one so far!:p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? It allows a competitor to increase the TV revenue differential?

Reaction Score
Why? It allows a competitor to increase the TV revenue differential?

I am assuming that the ACC would make the Big East whole, and, if they did, I think the basketball schools would be happy to never see Syracuse or Pitt again after this year. But I am just speculating.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am assuming that the ACC would make the Big East whole, and, if they did, I think the basketball schools would be happy to never see Syracuse or Pitt again after this year. But I am just speculating.
What settlement would make the BE whole? Just curious as to what you think could be offered. I can't see cash being sufficient in any reasonable amount.

Reaction Score
Nothing new here. If the ACC was worried about the 27 month rule, they should have thought about that ahead of time, not now. Actually kind of comical. The whole purpose of the rule was to make it hard to leave. So now its hard to leave.

So hard to leave 2 Big East schools jumped the second they were offered, WV and UL are waiting by their phones praying the Big 12 calls so they can accept immediately, and UConn and Rutgers are holding prayer vigils that the ACC or Big Ten will be interested.

Reaction Score
Gotcha... I was thinking that there's a chance if the Big East was able to add schools quickly that the waiting period could be waved. I think the exit fees and waiting period for C-USA school is basically non-existant.

Exit fee for Conf USA for UCF would be around $7 million. More than the Big East's current exit fee.

Reaction Score
I know that I get all my sports news from the Maryland athletic department. The hockey scores are coming in now.

Reaction Score
What settlement would make the BE whole? Just curious as to what you think could be offered. I can't see cash being sufficient in any reasonable amount.

I'm just talking about marginal economic loss from leaving basketball early -- not the real damage, because that is happening whether now or later.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Lord knows we want to keep those basketball only schools happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom