McShay : Top 25 Freshmen | The Boneyard

McShay : Top 25 Freshmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
ESPN Insider just released an article in which Todd McShay rates the Top 25 freshmen from this past season. McCombs comes in at #24 on his list and here is his comment:

Key stats: 1,151 rush yds | 4.2 avg | 19 rec | 172 rec yds | 9.1 ypc | 8 total TDs
Analysis: McCombs is an undersized back with a nice combination of quickness and elusiveness as a runner. He flashes exceptional lateral agility to make defenders miss in a confined area and has the acceleration to squeeze through tight creases. He also shows above-average hands as a pass catcher. However, he could use a couple of offseason programs to add bulk to his frame to improve his marginal balance and power.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...braxton-miller-top-2011-freshman-rankings-cfb

Reaction Score
I think this is a pretty fair evaluation. UCONN fans only began to give the kid the props he deserved very late in the season. Some still complain that he doesn't do something or other better. He is a very good, tough football player who will only get better. It is entirely possible that he could be a far better player next year but have somewhat lower total yards since I think we'll see more carries by the backups and maybe a bit more of a passing attack.

Reaction Score
I think this is a pretty fair evaluation. UCONN fans only began to give the kid the props he deserved very late in the season. Some still complain that he doesn't do something or other better. He is a very good, tough football player who will only get better. It is entirely possible that he could be a far better player next year but have somewhat lower total yards since I think we'll see more carries by the backups and maybe a bit more of a passing attack.
"Tough" is an understatement. He took an incredible beating against Cincy. He didn't have much (yardage) to show for it,but he kept throwing himself at very large people standing where his holes were supposed to be. A really impressive display of plain old guts and determination.

Reaction Score
Very good evaluation. McCombs was a bright spot this year, and should continue the line of all big east backs before he's done. Bulk, balance and that extra gear to outrun guys are the only things lacking.

Reaction Score
I don't agree about his hands. Above average at UConn, perhaps, but he fights the ball.

Reaction Score
Imagine how much better he will be when they recruit a back to complement
Him , kinda like Dixon to ,Todman maybe Deshon Foxx blows it up next season.

Reaction Score
I don't think we'll need him to hit 1100 yards next year. I certainly don't want him to have as many carries. I think it would be better if he could get ypc up 10%, from 4.2 to say 4.6. Of course, that will have as much to do with the improvement of the entire offense as it will him individually.

Reaction Score
to be fair to mccoombs many times last year after a big run for him he was left in the game and continued to get the ball even though it was obvious that he was exhausted. even if we just had a back that could spell mccoombs in these situations his yac would have been higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom