McMurphy CBS: Blog Home Category: NCAAF SDSU in no hurry w/Big East, BYU no Big 12 offer | The Boneyard

McMurphy CBS: Blog Home Category: NCAAF SDSU in no hurry w/Big East, BYU no Big 12 offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Sources said San Diego State “is still very excited about the opportunity” to join the Big East, but estimated it could take anywhere from “two to three weeks” to “a few months.”

The Big East is pursuing the Aztecs because Boise State has said it wants a guarantee of a Western partner before joining the league.

UCF, Houston and SMU are prepared to join the league but want to join in a group with Boise State. So those three schools are waiting on Boise State while the Broncos are waiting on a Western partner – either San Diego State or Air Force – and Navy is waiting until those other schools join before it commits."

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/33577375

I guess Houston, UCF and SMU just keep their warmup pants on in the meantime.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the Big East will still invite these schools when Petersen goes to UCLA and Sumlin goes to ASU next week.

Reaction Score
Peterson has turned down UCLA in the past, doubt very much he makes that move now.

Reaction Score
Peterson is losing his QB and UCLA is desperate. I wouldn't count anything out.

Reaction Score
remember when BSU was going to fail after Dan Hawkins left for Colorado? Or when all would crumble when Dirk Koetter left them for Az State?

Reaction Score
Screw SDSU. Just take whoever of Nevada, UNLV, SDSU or Fresno can commit now. Urgency is needed.If SDSU is who we want, give them a deadline.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Peterson refused to even speak with Washington, USC or Oregon, which are much better jobs than UCLA. I don't know what he is waiting for, but it ain't UCLA. Sumlin will leave at some point, not sure for where though.

Reaction Score
Screw SDSU. Just take whoever of Nevada, UNLV, SDSU or Fresno can commit now. Urgency is needed.If SDSU is who we want, give them a deadline.
Because decisions that are made in a state of urgency/panic are always the best. There is a 27 month window for the BE (maybe it is down to 25 now), so while the situation is dire, no need for panic. And if you are any of the schools being asked to join, given all the earlier chatter about some additional moves and schools desire to move, they should not jump into a decision so quickly particularly if they only have the FB benefit. And there must be some concern that the FB benefit (AQ status) might not be as enticing as it appears to be today. These are small schools that do not have the financial resources that Uconn, Lville and Rutgers have. The cost/benefit analysis for a FB only membership might not be the slam dunk many think it is.

Like it or not, this state of flux will be there for at least the next 12 to 18 months. The most unfortunate aspect of all this, ND controls so much of it and they will milk it for as many $$$ and special considerations that they can.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Schools can't leave mid-year unless they want to self impose a one year death penalty on themselves. The earliest, non-court imposed departure date is -July 1, 2014.

Any BE school wishing to leave then needs to declare before April 1. The BE needs 3 teams to begin FB next fall. No other dates matter. Any feelings of urgency by the fan base is self inflicted.

I'd hope to hear something after bowl season.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
The Big East is giving the B12 and ACC all the time in the world to think. Patience will not help us if the B12 calls UL tomorrow or the ACC calls Rutgers. Similarly, both of those schools are screwed if UConn gets the call. The Big East needs to expand now. You guys sound like Big East staffers. The loss of one more team before expansion will be fatal. Take in the schools you can get right now. Odds are the Big East is going to need 2-3 more schools in a year or two anyway. Get this thing expanded to at least 10 teams asap.

Reaction Score
Schools can't leave mid-year unless they want to self impose a one year death penalty on themselves. The earliest, non-court imposed departure date is -July 1, 2014.

Any BE school wishing to leave then needs to declare before April 1. The BE needs 3 teams to begin FB next fall. No other dates matter. Any feelings of urgency by the fan base is self inflicted.

I'd hope to hear something after bowl season.

This. This is not a football game -- this is a business negotiation. Everyone knows what the deadline is and is acting with it in mind.

And anyone who thinks that by announcing expansion today they are discouraging RU or LV or UConn from answering the phone when the ACC or Big XII calls is just incorrect.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This. This is not a football game -- this is a business negotiation. Everyone knows what the deadline is and is acting with it in mind.

And anyone who thinks that by announcing expansion today they are discouraging RU or LV or UConn from answering the phone when the ACC or Big XII calls is just incorrect.
You are just too logical.

Reaction Score

That isn't the point. The problem is that RU, UL or UConn will answer the phone. If the conference has already made expansion agreements with good football programs, it may survive. If it hasn't, expansion won't happen.

ex. The B12 invites Louisville next week and they announce they are leaving. Will Boise et al still come? No. Will the bball schools take their ball and go home? Possibly. In that scenario, we are ducked.
ex. The ACC invites UConn tomorrow, will Boise et al still come? No. Will the bball schools take their ball and go home? Possibly. In that scenario UL is ducked.

If we expand now, the conference can probably survive a departure. It will never expand if one of us leaves before expansion. This is a nightmare scenario that can possibly be averted by having an expanded conference. Keep in mind, many of the new targets are better for AQ numbers than the existing members. Their presence will lessen the chance that the current Big East football schools end up homeless if one or two members leave.

By dragging this out you endanger the ability to expand at all.

Reaction Score
I agree with Hoophound. If Houston, SMU, UCF are ready to announce now then have a press conference and announce them as additions to the Big East now. If nothing else it would help everyone's current recruiting efforts by giving kids confidence that there will be a Big East. What is the drawback to announcing those three teams? If we are waiting for the dust to settle on conference expansion we will be waiting forever because the dust will never settle. Houston is a top ten team and will probably play in a BCS bowl, don't we want to be able to point to them and say they are a future Big East team?

It seems that Big East incompetence is still alive and well. We move with the swiftness of a two legged dog.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Perhaps some will get their head around the possibility that saving the BE FB conference without UoL, UConn, or Rutgers is not palatable for some of the decision makers in this mess. Perhaps they think, correctly in my view, that each of these schools would leave regardless of number of teams in the conference. It has become quite clear that the days of the BE Champion receiving a BCS invite end with this contract. The BiG, SEC, and P12 want that slot for themselves and will eliminate AQ status for everyone knowing it will never affect their contractual arrangements with the BCS bowls.

They are reverting to the old Bowl Coalition with a separate NCG featuring #1 and #2. This has been floated publicly and, unless there is some resistance, will take effect on the next contract.

Reaction Score
Perhaps some will get their head around the possibility that saving the BE FB conference without UoL, UConn, or Rutgers is not palatable for some of the decision makers in this mess. .

Well if that is the case we are on the fast track to Conference USA.

Reaction Score
Perhaps some will get their head around the possibility that saving the BE FB conference without UoL, UConn, or Rutgers is not palatable for some of the decision makers in this mess. Perhaps they think, correctly in my view, that each of these schools would leave regardless of number of teams in the conference. It has become quite clear that the days of the BE Champion receiving a BCS invite end with this contract. The BiG, SEC, and P12 want that slot for themselves and will eliminate AQ status for everyone knowing it will never affect their contractual arrangements with the BCS bowls.

They are reverting to the old Bowl Coalition with a separate NCG featuring #1 and #2. This has been floated publicly and, unless there is some resistance, will take effect on the next contract.

It won't happen if they put the conference together and start a decent PR campaign. If the conference is too good to leave out, politics will enter the picture. The computers will show that the NBE is pretty good.

As a UCONN fan (or any other Big East football school fan) you better be awful confident that an invite elsewhere is on the way if you don't see the urgency in getting the NBE assembled. If it isn't assembled and no invite comes, we are joining CUSA.

Reaction Score
ex. The B12 invites Louisville next week and they announce they are leaving. Will Boise et al still come? No. Will the bball schools take their ball and go home? Possibly. In that scenario, we are ducked.
ex. The ACC invites UConn tomorrow, will Boise et al still come? No. Will the bball schools take their ball and go home? Possibly. In that scenario UL is ducked.

ex. We beat Cincinnati and send a 7-5 Louisville team to a BCS game; the Commissioners of the SEC, Pac 10, and Big 12 use the occasion to announce that their conferences intend to vote against renewal of AQ status. Will Boise et all still come? No. Will the bball schools take their ball and go home? Possibly. In that scenario, everyone is ducked.

I've been in favor of a measured approach up until the BYU talks broke down, but at this point the 5 remaining football schools are members of a conference that only exists in theory. The default trajectory for the Big East is to cease to exist. We need to add any school that is remotely acceptable to Boise State NOW. I honestly could care less who it is. The point of my example is that it may seem like we have time to get everything in order, but the axe could drop at any minute.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It won't happen if they put the conference together and start a decent PR campaign. If the conference is too good to leave out, politics will enter the picture. The computers will show that the NBE is pretty good.

As a UCONN fan (or any other Big East football school fan) you better be awful confident that an invite elsewhere is on the way if you don't see the urgency in getting the NBE assembled. If it isn't assembled and no invite comes, we are joining CUSA.

The computers don't get a vote, the guys in the awful blazers do. ESPN does too. Politics is the only thing that could save the BE except, they have political allies too. They also have a fairly convincing merit and free market arguments to eliminate the AQ from everyone.

The net effect is the same as pulling just the BE bid.

Reaction Score
The computers don't get a vote, the guys in the awful blazers do. ESPN does too. Politics is the only thing that could save the BE except, they have political allies too. They also have a fairly convincing merit and free market arguments to eliminate the AQ from everyone.

The net effect is the same as pulling just the BE bid.

Ok, let's give up and join CUSA or pray for an invite. That's settled. (I mean this playfully, I am not an internet )

However, your position convinces me further that expansion needs to be rapid. If the BCS rules change and we aren't part of the new world order, we may never be. There may be no benefit at all to other conferences expanding further. They will know better where they stand long term. Right now, the Big East staying viable and competitive on paper may be the only hope we have to stay relevant.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Too much common sense here. However, the only way the BCS goes to the format you suggest is if there are too few states who are left outside looking in. As configured currently, the SEC, PAC and B!G are missing some heavy hitter states to avoid a political showdown. So at the very least a fourth conference and a hiving of some additional state schools will be necessary.

Reaction Score
I agree with Hoophound. If Houston, SMU, UCF are ready to announce now then have a press conference and announce them as additions to the Big East now. If nothing else it would help everyone's current recruiting efforts by giving kids confidence that there will be a Big East. What is the drawback to announcing those three teams? If we are waiting for the dust to settle on conference expansion we will be waiting forever because the dust will never settle. Houston is a top ten team and will probably play in a BCS bowl, don't we want to be able to point to them and say they are a future Big East team?

It seems that Big East incompetence is still alive and well. We move with the swiftness of a two legged dog.

This is why it sucks to have the basketballs schools & Notre Dame calling the shots on football expansion. I agree that the Big East needs to add some teams in order to survive, before Louisville likely leaves for the Big 12. Then, the Big East would have enough teams to stay in business for football. If you can get Boise and another western partner later, that can wait. But the BBall schools don't want Houston, SMU and Central Florida without Boise. That keeps the football schools at risk if one more is poached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom