McMurphy: 88% of FBS AD’s support expanded College Football Playoff format | The Boneyard

McMurphy: 88% of FBS AD’s support expanded College Football Playoff format

Reaction Score
16 teams means 4 games for the final 2 competitors. That would mean 16 games for the players at those 2 schools, plus a month of pre-season training and 15 days of Spring ball. That just might be more time spent than the average NFL player.

How can the NCAA, with its deep concerns about the health and education of the "student athletes" possibly endorse that? Oh, wait, I forgot about the extra billion dollars or more in TV money would that mean for Emmert and the boys.

Reaction Score
16 teams means 4 games for the final 2 competitors. That would mean 16 games for the players at those 2 schools, plus a month of pre-season training and 15 days of Spring ball. That just might be more time spent than the average NFL player.

How can the NCAA, with its deep concerns about the health and education of the "student athletes" possibly endorse that? Oh, wait, I forgot about the extra billion dollars or more in TV money would that mean for Emmert and the boys.
Every other division of football has 16 teams. It doesn't seem like any big deal. Never heard any of those schools complain.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The NCAA is suddenly a lot more fan friendly now that it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Every other division of football has 16 teams. It doesn't seem like any big deal. Never heard any of those schools complain.

I'm guessing you meant every other division has 16 games, not 16 teams. That's true, but do those "student athletes" have the same level of commitment for the Spring, Summer and throughout the season that D1 teams have? I don't know the answer.

But I did forget the league championship games, so the final two teams will actually play a 17 game schedule: 12 regular season, 1 league championship game, and 4 playoff games. That's the NFL, not college football played by "amateur" "student athletes".

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you meant every other division has 16 games, not 16 teams. That's true, but do those "student athletes" have the same level of commitment for the Spring, Summer and throughout the season that D1 teams have? I don't know the answer.

But I did forget the league championship games, so the final two teams will actually play a 17 game schedule: 12 regular season, 1 league championship game, and 4 playoff games. That's the NFL, not college football played by "amateur" "student athletes".

2019 FCS Champ North Dakota State and runner-up James Madison played 16 games.

Reaction Score

The other college football divisions have 16 team playoffs.

This has never been considered a problem.

Reaction Score

The NCAA has no voice in CFP decisions and gets no money , so it doesn't matter what they think.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'd be all in for 8 team playoff it the format that gave automatic berths to the P5 champs, 1 for the best of the G5, and 1 for the best of the independents and 1 at large. Everyone has a theoretical shot at making it.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the auto G5 ever happens. No reason the P5 schools would allow that over the 8th ranked P5 team

Reaction Score
Here’s my plan.
1. go back to 11 games
2. Conf championships thanksgiving weekend
3. Top 2 Indy teams play that weekend unless 1 or 0 have winning records.
4. 16 team playoff
Each league gets 1 plus Indy champ plus
5 at large
5. Top 4 get home field rest play at neutral sites. The reason is that at large teams really don’t deserve home games for finishing 2 or maybe 3 in your league but also the 16 team who wins the Sunbelt champ doesn’t either.
Final could be New Years Day.

Reaction Score

For more than half of Division I FBS right now, the season extends to late December or early January already.

Yes, not as many games, but the players aren’t sitting around doing nothing from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

And the NCAA isn’t making a hecking dime on any of it. Yet.

Reaction Score
I'd be all in for 8 team playoff it the format that gave automatic berths to the P5 champs, 1 for the best of the G5, and 1 for the best of the independents and 1 at large. Everyone has a theoretical shot at making it.

I agree except the one slot for the best of the independents might be an issue. P5 schools probably wouldn’t like that Notre Dame would virtually have an autobid every year before they even played a game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree except the one slot for the best of the independents might be an issue. P5 schools probably wouldn’t like that Notre Dame would virtually have an autobid every year before they even played a game.
Yeah, that was actually a little tongue in cheek, since we are now an independent. (Not that we are likely to be taking the bid from BYU and Notre Dame on a regular basis.)

Reaction Score
Fauci announced sports with no fans can begin in the summer. I think CFB will have to decide whether to keep Fall season without fans or hope for Spring with fans (even that is tough to predict)

Reaction Score
Fauci announced sports with no fans can begin in the summer. I think CFB will have to decide whether to keep Fall season without fans or hope for Spring with fans (even that is tough to predict)
Going to be a lot more difficult for amatuer/college sports than professional sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom