McGraw and Staley weigh in on how times have changed | The Boneyard

McGraw and Staley weigh in on how times have changed

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some interesting comments by both Hall of Fame coaches to a Canadian news outlet, while at the Vancouver Showcase:

NCAA coach’s advice to parents: You need to let your kids fail

“I don’t know if kids have changed. It’s the parents who have changed,” McGraw said when asked to compare and contrast her early days of coaching.​
“Parents today don’t want to give their child a chance to fail. The first time there’s adversity, the kids don’t know what to do. They are not able to fight through things.​
“I think freshman year is hard. I think everybody has a tough time freshman year. For generations, freshmen have been calling home several times and saying how much they hate it and how things are not working and parents have been letting them vent before explaining that a commitment has been made and it’s going to be followed up on and ‘we’ll see you at your game next week.’​
...​
“I’ve seen where it’s hurt kids because you have to detox them from playing alone,” Staley said. “They’re working on their individual skills so much that when it comes time to play on a team, there’s a transition to having to play with somebody else who is equally talented or maybe more talented.​
“It’s good that it can create a work ethic, but sometimes it’s at the expense of fitting in within a team concept. It’s a harder transition for some.”​

Reaction Score
Well whatever Dawn is telling recruits, it's working, so I would keep it up if I were her.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Well whatever Dawn is telling recruits, it's working, so I would keep it up if I were her.
"Would you like it in 10s or 20s?"

:cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44