McEntee to start next year? | The Boneyard

McEntee to start next year?

• Thread starter fortebleedsblue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

Seems like HCPP was absolutely sold on him this year. He will have the most experience returning next year so why wouldn't he get the nod to start?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Seems like HCPP was absolutely sold on him this year. He will have the most experience returning next year so why wouldn't he get the nod to start?

That's what I was talking about during the chat. I agree it is likely he gets the nod unless one of the others absolutely blows the socks off the coaches in the Spring. And yes, it makes me a bit depressed for next year already. No offense to JMac but I think it was pretty clear that he hit his ceiling this year. I don't seem him improving significantly from here but would love to be proved wrong.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
One reason... Casey Cochran... I hope.

Reaction Score
That's what I was talking about during the chat. I agree it is likely he gets the nod unless one of the others absolutely blows the socks off the coaches in the Spring. And yes, it makes me a bit depressed for next year already. No offense to JMac but I think it was pretty clear that he hit his ceiling this year. I don't seem him improving significantly from here but would love to be proved wrong.

Out of curiosity, is there some particular reason you don't think he could improve in terms of pocket composure, footwork, etc.? Is this kind of stuff just not teachable, either through practice or experience?

Reaction Score
If he's the best that UConn has, then he'll start. Let's see what Nebrich, McCummings, Cochran, & the new JUCO bring to the table after another spring practice.

Reaction Score

I think it has to be Mac unless Nebrich makes a big jump (possible) or Cochran is just too good to sit (doubtful). It will be him and McCummings splitting time which will yield better results than we saw this year. If we could "redo" the season with just Mac and McCummings having a year of experience we beat Vanderbilt and have a good chance of getting another win or two.

Reaction Score
One reason... Casey Cochran... I hope.

How silly. He will never be an athletic QB, but of course he's improve with more experience (and it's not like he can't throw it when he's comfortable). Better footwork, better decisionmaking, less panic with a rush, all would likely improve.

That is not to say he'll be starting next year. I hope someone takes the job from him. But if he starts, he'll be better.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, is there some particular reason you don't think he could improve in terms of pocket composure, footwork, etc.? Is this kind of stuff just not teachable, either through practice or experience?

I don't think it is impossible but I think it was clear (at least to me) that Johnny Mac improved the first half of the year (from being completely horrendous to being somewhat serviceable) and then hit a plateau in terms of performance. After pretty much a full season of starting, he still lacks pocket presence, tends to stare down receivers and has been very sporadic with his accuracy, often times throwing the ball to the other team (whether they catch it or not). Those were all illustrated in this game pretty well.

As I said, I'd love to see him improve further but if he wasn't able to improve over the course of the entire second half of the season, I'm not optimistic.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
How silly. He will never be an athletic QB, but of course he's improve with more experience (and it's not like he can't throw it when he's comfortable). Better footwork, better decisionmaking, less panic with a rush, all would likely improve.

That is not to say he'll be starting next year. I hope someone takes the job from him. But if he starts, he'll be better.
Sure, JMac will be better (who doesn't get better with more practice). But maybe Casey Cochran is better than JMac will ever be. I hope so.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

^^^ this. If JM improves in these areas he would work as this team's QB. Way too many negative plays from the QB position this year. Very frightened that no one beat him out this year.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If you are going to hope for a miracle at QB next year, I would look to the juco transfer because we know our current QB's aren't great, or in Nebrich's case, not great yet. I doubt Nebrich turns into Pat White over the summer, JMac appears limited and McCummings should be assigned another position, he's way too good for this tiny role but he doesn't throw well enough to be our QB. (yet he throws better than Lorenzen did, so whatever)

Anyway, I'd hate to burn Casey's redshirt when we have 4 other QB's on the roster. I am hoping the juco is a gunslinger OR Nebrich really develops and gets stronger in the next 8 months. Either way, I think we are going to be much better at QB from here on out.

As far as JMac goes, I like the kid and think he will be better next year as well. I haven't totally given up on him.

Reaction Score
Yes, the fact that his last game was as bad as his first. He had hundreds of reps and didn't improve.

He can't read defenses, he can't anticipate the blitz, he has poor footwork, his isn't very accurate, he is immobile and the team has no confidence in him to lead them back from a deficit. Anyone expecting him to improve hasn't been watching.

The real question is will Pasqualoni improve and demand production?

Reaction Score
The thing that scares me about McEntee is he looks like a kid who's never been coached. He never changes the play or the protections at the line. Ever. He has no pocket awareness. He doesn't know how or when to throw the ball away. He is realy only effective throwing to the primary receiver. He is a walk-on, so I'm sure Edsall and staff never worked with him, but he is sof ar away from having any sory of QB IQ that I don't know if an offseason is enough for him to learn

Reaction Score
JMac showed some improvement during the season, but the athletic skills needed for this level just aren't there. It was painfully apparent in many games this year, including today. His lack of mobility and pocket awareness were killers for us all year. And PP's insistence to stay with him all season was as frustrating as it was puzzling.

At best, JMac may improve slightly in those areas next year, but it's hard to believe we won't have other QBs on next year's roster who should be starting or at least given a solid chance to start or get a significant number of reps during games, and not just in practice.

Reaction Score
Thank you palantine...agree 100 percent. Again, for the hundredth time year, is Nebrich that bad to not try switching something up after McEntee's awful first halves this year. Something has to change. Jmac is consistently inconsistent.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's funny to me how the Coach P haters assume he's too stupid to see how our QB played this year or too stubborn to change. It's far more likely that JMac was the best QB we had. Which is quite frankly terrifying, but such was the state of our QB cupboard. Even if Nebrich would have been on par with JMac, what would that have helped solve? Here's to hoping that the new QB blood coming in helps matters. If JMac is still our best QB heading in to next season... then we have a problem on our hands, unless he improves greatly. (And this is an entirely possible scenario, unfortunately)

Reaction Score
JMac will be the QB if he "gives the team the best chance to win". Sounds like the same ole story we've heard or postulated for at least six years.

The bottom line, I think, is either none of the former coaches could recognize and or recruit D 1a QB's or receivers, or none of the former or present coaches can coach at the 1a level when it comes to QB's and WR receivers.

I won't point fingers at the kids because I truly believe they all want to be winners........maybe its lack of 1A talent, 1a experience, or both, is why we are where we are.

It would be interesting to see where we are down the line.

Reaction Score
Des tweeted something today about how the coaching staff will never say it publicly but they knew how limited we were offensively when they got here. No doubt the kids are trying but talent level really needs to be improved and I hope it starts with PPs first class.

Reaction Score
in the courant article today is stated casey will be at uconn next month...that is great news for getting use to the system and playbook,.....hopefully he will be our savior.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was able to enroll last January, and it helped him physically but he still had a tough time with the difference in the game from hs to BCS conf level and understandably so. I think Cochran will see similiar results physically...but we can't expect him to be a savior. Hopefully the young guys will push and help each other become the best qb's they can be. This will help us in the end.

Reaction Score
JMAC seems like a nice kid but when I think about his play this year the thing I will remember is the play in the endzone today. That was sort of his year recapped right there.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was able to enroll last January, and it helped him physically but he still had a tough time with the difference in the game from hs to BCS conf level and understandably so. I think Cochran will see similiar results physically...but we can't expect him to be a savior. Hopefully the young guys will push and help each other become the best qb's they can be. This will help us in the end.

+So you're not banking on him starting from Day 1 a la Kellen Moore or RGIII or Landry Jones?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Is there any update on that JuCo QB we offered? If we land him then I think the staff might take the opportunity to redshirt Nebrich and Cochran next year. Have to assume the JuCo QB will at least be experienced enough to be a solid backup.

That is all assuming Nebrich doesn't make strides that make him obviously better than Mac

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Did we get a commit from Chandler Whitmer that I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom