McCartney 3,2,1 on Hulu | The Boneyard

McCartney 3,2,1 on Hulu

Reaction Score
Watched all six half-hour episodes yesterday.

Just McCartney and famed music producer Rick Rubin talking about the music in front of the soundboard fading parts in and out. Not chronological, and bounces around between Beatles, Wings and his solo stuff.

Extremely entertaining and cool to hear things you never heard before even though you listened to a song 1,000 times. Made you want to sing along!

Being a George fan over and above the other three, I was especially thrilled when they discussed the tunes George wrote, including "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which is my favorite song, by any artist.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Watched all six half-hour episodes yesterday.

Just McCartney and famed music producer Rick Rubin talking about the music in front of the soundboard fading parts in and out. Not chronological, and bounces around between Beatles, Wings and his solo stuff.

Extremely entertaining and cool to hear things you never heard before even though you listened to a song 1,000 times. Made you want to sing along!

Being a George fan over and above the other three, I was especially thrilled when they discussed the tunes George wrote, including "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which is my favorite song, by any artist.
I didn't know about it until you started this thread, so thanks for that. I am a Beatles freak so I have to watch it.

I watched the first two last night. Paul is probably the least-interesting to me of the four Beatles but I remain in awe of his sheer talent and longevity. And he clearly has the music pulsing through him at all times.

Obviously a very easy watch, but I couldn't help thinking how much better it could be. I was most surprised at how little Rubin added. He is basically a fanboy like any of us would be, and his slack-jawed awe didn't do much for me. Not quite Chris Farley level, but jeez.

I will still watch the rest. The archival footage is the best, and the background is very interesting. Although I suspect that Paul's memory is getting more and more embellished over time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Paul is probably the least-interesting to me of the four Beatles
I don't have Hulu so won't be watching, but this is a very strange take IMO. Care to elaborate?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't have Hulu so won't be watching, but this is a very strange take IMO. Care to elaborate?
His talent is insane, but--aside from his marriage to that Heather Mills psycho--he has had such a blessed life and is so naturally gifted that I just find him less interesting. It's probably my personality defect, but I tend to like people with more of an edge. I loved Paul when I was a kid but over time came to appreciate John and George more; and Ringo just seems like one of the most genuinely nice, good, fun and remarkably ego-free guys on the planet.

In one of the episodes I watched last night Paul actually talked about the fact that his upbringing was so happy, supportive and filled with love that he thought that's what everyone else's life was like; and then he pointed out that John had quite a different experience, but that contrast was essential to their songwriting. He used "Getting Better" as an example, with Paul singing "I've got to admit it's getting better" and John replying "It can't get no worse."

I think struggle produces character, and by all observations Paul hasn't ever had to struggle much. Not that he didn't work his ass off nonetheless, but I like hearing about people's struggles to overcome obstacles, etc., and his stories all seem to have this storybook quality to them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I liked where Sir Paul said "That was very generous of George" referring to the solo of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Then the guy steals George's wife. That guy, of course, being the 3rd most talented member of Cream.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His talent is insane, but--aside from his marriage to that Heather Mills psycho--he has had such a blessed life and is so naturally gifted that I just find him less interesting. It's probably my personality defect, but I tend to like people with more of an edge. I loved Paul when I was a kid but over time came to appreciate John and George more; and Ringo just seems like one of the most genuinely nice, good, fun and remarkably ego-free guys on the planet.

In one of the episodes I watched last night Paul actually talked about the fact that his upbringing was so happy, supportive and filled with love that he thought that's what everyone else's life was like; and then he pointed out that John had quite a different experience, but that contrast was essential to their songwriting. He used "Getting Better" as an example, with Paul singing "I've got to admit it's getting better" and John replying "It can't get no worse."

I think struggle produces character, and by all observations Paul hasn't ever had to struggle much. Not that he didn't work his ass off nonetheless, but I like hearing about people's struggles to overcome obstacles, etc., and his stories all seem to have this storybook quality to them.

I get that he's gifted, but he's hardly a silver spoon type. Liverpool is Liverpool, even if he had a good family. He's easily my favorite Beatle because I think he made the Beatles, the other 3 are less critical to the whole. John being certainly did write some tunes (and George a few), although not nearly so many as we thought. I give credit to Paul that he went along with notions that John wrote Eleanor Rigby for example, then we find out, nah, that was Paul too. He never tried to upstage the other 3, and it was always "The Beatles" to the public. I think that shows character. Lots of modern people with his talent would say screw the other 3 and go solo.

I'm curious about the quote from @Waquoit because conventional wisdom is that George couldn't really play his own solo the way he wanted and tapped Eric. Their friendship survived Patti, so there's that. Clapton remains the only musician who played on a Beatles record and solo records from all four Beatles.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I get that he's gifted, but he's hardly a silver spoon type. Liverpool is Liverpool, even if he had a good family. He's easily my favorite Beatle because I think he made the Beatles, the other 3 are less critical to the whole. John being certainly did write some tunes (and George a few), although not nearly so many as we thought. I give credit to Paul that he went along with notions that John wrote Eleanor Rigby for example, then we find out, nah, that was Paul too. He never tried to upstage the other 3, and it was always "The Beatles" to the public. I think that shows character. Lots of modern people with his talent would say screw the other 3 and go solo.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just find him the least interesting to listen to as a person because I feel like I've heard all the stories in one form or another at this point, and his memory does seem to be getting quite enhanced these days. I also think that people with his level of talent aren't necessarily the best teachers because things come so naturally to them and it is hard for them to explain to people for whom that isn't the case.

Think of Michael Jordan trying to coach. Is he the best? No question. But I don't expect that his insights would be the most relatable because most people don't have that level of talent and likely need to hear more about the process of overcoming obstacles, exploring and getting better etc.

And again, Jordan, like Macca, worked his ass off. No question about that, either. Just goes to show that the sky is the limit for people who match that level of talent with incredible drive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom