OT: Mayweather Fight | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. Mayweather is a classless punk (as especially seen in the post fight interview) but I can't blame him for what went down really. The referee didn't even seem to be paying attention and Ortiz must have been so jacked up that he wasn't thinking clearly.

And how bout Larry Merchant challenging Floyd.

Mayweather remains my least favorite athlete in any sport, though.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable.

8.gif

Reaction Score
I am not a Mayweather fan at all and I agree that the punches that knocked out Ortiz evinced a lack of class, but Ortiz wasn't exactly innocent here. The headbutt was clearly intentional. If he doesn't headbutt Mayweather then this doesn't happen.

To me, the post-match tirade showed Mayweather's clear lack of class more than anything else.

The most annoying thing about what transpired is that Mayweather's offer of a rematch to Ortiz could prove to be yet another obstacle to a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight which is the only fight that everyone really wants to see.

Reaction Score
Yea you could look at it both ways. If Ortiz didn't do that dirty move (head butt) than that wouldn't of happen. However, it was obvious that Ortiz was defenseless and unaware the fight had resumed. My biggest problem was the ref. He wasn't even looking on when things happened.

Best part of the fight was the old man from HBO not backing down from Floyd. Anyway, where are you Pacquiao?

Reaction Score
I can't stand listening to Merchant but I have no idea what Floyd took objection to. How could he not bring up that controversial ending? Was he going to let Floyd continue thanking the fans who were roaring with boos?

If anyone didn't see it, Floyd called the interviewer a piece of (right? blur to me now) and said HBO should fire him.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, I do not blame Mayweather for hitting Ortiz. I don't know what the hell Ortiz was doing - he moved towards Mayweather and while Floyd was clearly ready to start boxing, Ortiz went to hug him. Mayweather let him do that, but then was ready to fight...and Ortiz just stood there. Then after the left, he looked to the ref for some sort of relief and got drilled. Mayweather saw an unguarded head and he punched it almost instinctively. No foul there. Honestly, that might have been the stupidest thing I have ever seen a fighter do - very submissive and creepy. No problems with the KO at all.

On the Merchant thing; I like Merchant and I can't stand him. Depends on the day. But Mayweather was so far outside the lines screaming at an old dude like that. HBO has put a fortune in that dimwit's pocket..who is he to yell at their analyst for asking a question that every other analyst on the planet would have asked.

And good for Merchant for yelling that he would have kicked his ass. (Of course, I am taking Mayweather in a first round knock out of the time machine version of Larry Merchant.) He stood his ground better than Ortiz did.

Reaction Score
100% in Mayweather's corner here. It's been said over and over already, but protect yourself at ALL times. That's something that's drilled into boxers from the first time they lace up the gloves. It was also part of the referee's instructions before the fight. A more seasoned vet than Ortiz never finds himself in that position. Second, they had already touched up...twice. Once after the headbutt, and once again after the point deduction. I applaud Ortiz for his contrition, but there's no need to try and hug the guy multiple times. You're in the middle of a fight, you aren't making friends. Once you touch up, it's back on. Mayweather was ready, Ortiz wasn't, that's not Mayweather's fault. The headbutt itself, yeah it was dirty, but I don't really hold that over Ortiz too much. happens. But you can definitely say that had Ortiz not done that, he would've never found himself in that position. If anyone is to blame, I guess it'd be Joe Cortez. A ref has to have control of the situation. Make it very clear what's going on. Usually the ref will stand between the fighters and yell 'Box!' or 'Fight!' or something as he backs away, but it looked like Cortez just kind of zoned out for a few seconds and that's all it took. POW! Hands down, man down.

That said, if I were Ortiz, I wouldn't have kissed Mayweather's ass like he did either. Ortiz, by all accounts seems like a really nice kid, but I think he had a little 'I'm just happy to be here' going on. I think he's a little naive. But he's young. He has a long career ahead of him. He'll learn from this and move on.

Reaction Score
The Mayweather/Merchant beef has been brewing for years, Merchant never gives Mayweather any credit after his fights. The funny thing is Merchant actually seemed like he was doing so in noting how aggressive Mayweather was but it just seemed to me that Mayweather launched a preemptive strike and decided this was the night he was going to fully on him. I was in a fight party of 8 and we all applauded, duck Merchant, it is about time that old fart retired and moved on.

Reaction Score
I do think Merchant is over the hill and its gotten to a point where at times it is difficult to even understand what he is saying. The ending to this fight just sucked, plain and simple. People who paid for the fight wanted to at least see it last longer than four rounds and if it had to end early, have it end in a manner different than this.

Mayweather was perfectly within the rules in taking the shots he did, I just think a lot of people wish he hadn't (myself included). Ortiz wasn't going to win this fight unless he got one or two very lucky punches in. Let's just hope the next Mayweather fight will be against Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom