Maybe Weist should have been the guy | The Boneyard

Maybe Weist should have been the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His offense with the same players put up way more points in his last few games. I always believed in college you win with creative offensive coaches at the helm. We have to give coach BD his time, but this season has been hard.

Reaction Score
His offense with the same players put up way more points in his last few games. I always believed in college you win with creative offensive coaches at the helm. We have to give coach BD his time, but this season has been hard.

One important missing ingredient, namely Casey Cochran.

Reaction Score
I would of liked to have Weist stayed on as the Offensive Coordinator. He had a good thing going on last year and showed he could make the adjustments needed to make things happen, but I know when a new coach comes in they like to have their own coaching staff.

I say Diaco shallow your pride and do the right thing... fire Cummings and hire Weist back.

Reaction Score

Yes, all those OL that left, didn't really leave. Not an important issue....:rolleyes:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Erm... Not the same players.

I liked Weist, still do - think he'll make a great head coach some day. Who knows how he would have done. But Diaco was a sound hire too. He needs his time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Same players? WTF? Minus like the entire OL and starting QB. BUT YEAH OUTSIDE OF THAT COOL STORY

That is simply not a true statement. Cochran is gone. Most of these linemen were getting playing time last year, they just have gotten a lot worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Erm... Not the same players.

I liked Weist, still do - think he'll make a great head coach some day. Who knows how he would have done. But Diaco was a sound hire too. He needs his time.

I think the OP is right. I also think there is nothing we can do about it. Diaco is the coach, and if he fails, you can turn off the lights on the football program, so we need him to succeed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think the OP is right. I also think there is nothing we can do about it. Diaco is the coach, and if he fails, you can turn off the lights on the football program, so we need him to succeed.

You've been pulling the plug on UCONN football for awhile. Why do you follow the sport at all.

FHCPP put UCONN in this mess and we all have to trust HCBD to fix his mess.

Reaction Score
The first offensive series of the USF game last year (Weist's first game as a head coach) Weist called an end around that went for about 25 yards and a first down, 5 games into Diaco's career we haven't seen anything remotely as tricky as a simple end around. How sad.

We lost 2/5th's of our offensive line and returned 3/5ths. Gifford, Cruz, and Mateus have seen significant playing time before this year. Bennett and Greene each had some horrible games last year and Friend and Cruz missed large parts of last season.

I like Diaco, but right now his offense blows, those defending it are defending, at best, mediocrity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You've been pulling the plug on UCONN football for awhile. Why do you follow the sport at all.

FHCPP put UCONN in this mess and we all have to trust HCBD to fix his mess.

Why do you follow the sport at all? The mindless cheerleaders who presented Edsall's mediocrity as success and now all claim that they knew from the start that Pasqualoni would suck (when I seem to remember that he was a pretty popular hire at the time) like to shout down anyone who points out the obvious problems. I was getting attacked back in the winter for being mildly critical of Diaco for hiring what seemed like a lightweight staff, particularly on the offensive side. Compare Diaco's staff to the resumes of the one Pasqualoni showed up with. I didn't just into the recruiting fray too much other than to agree with those who pointed out that we could have gotten a lot of these recruits that received early offers in December or January so why not aim a little higher over the summer and fall? I said that the game coaching was a problem after the Stony Brook game, and now that viewpoint is a lot more popular.

Diaco has had a rocky start. If you are not willing to acknowledge that, then you shouldn't follow the program. Acknowledging that the program is at a serious crossroads is not being negative, it is being realistic. If we give Diaco 4-5 years and things don't improve, shutting down the program is on the table. UConn is not going to pour millions of dollars into a sinkhole for a program in a lousy conference that is losing games in droves and drawing small crowds. That is just reality.

Diaco has to succeed, and I do think that he can and will get better. The only thing I can think of in terms of change is to find some gray hair to be his mentor and maybe coach the offense. There are too many brain farts and the offense does not look prepared going into games. Somewhere out there is a guy that has been around forever with maybe some HC experience that couldn't cut it with the top job. An offensive version of Ellis Johnson, if we can find one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The first offensive series of the USF game last year (Weist's first game as a head coach) Weist called an end around that went for about 25 yards and a first down, 5 games into Diaco's career we haven't seen anything remotely as tricky as a simple end around. How sad.

We lost 2/5th's of our offensive line and returned 3/5ths. Gifford, Cruz, and Mateus have seen significant playing time before this year. Bennett and Greene each had some horrible games last year and Friend and Cruz missed large parts of last season.

I like Diaco, but right now his offense blows, those defending it are defending, at best, mediocrity.

I agree with your point about the OL. The whole offense looks confused and tentative. The problems with the offense are stemming from practice, and the good (and bad) news is that it appears that Diaco is losing confidence in his OC based on the South Florida game. It is bad news because it was one of Diaco's first hires, we probably could have kept Weist, and now we have an OC that probably sucks. The good news is that at least Diaco is recognizing he has a problem and trying to deal with it.

Reaction Score

We lost that USF game.

Nobody has really defended the offense, they just pointed out the fact we lost 4 offensive lineman. Greene finished his career with 32 straight starts, and Bennett was slightly more experienced than Knappe, but whatever, same guys.

Some of you keep ignoring the fact Weist primarily left because he wanted to be the head coach, not OC. He's not coming back as OC, let it go.

Oh, and Casey Cochran. Yup, same guys.

Reaction Score
I agree with your point about the OL. The whole offense looks confused and tentative. The problems with the offense are stemming from practice, and the good (and bad) news is that it appears that Diaco is losing confidence in his OC based on the South Florida game. It is bad news because it was one of Diaco's first hires, we probably could have kept Weist, and now we have an OC that probably sucks. The good news is that at least Diaco is recognizing he has a problem and trying to deal with it.

I'm not really a Cummings supporter, but it seems to me that Diaco has decided this season would be, first and foremost, about practicing the basics of football. Maybe Cummings is just following orders. Using Diaco terminology, we're just going to be served a level 100 season.

Reaction Score
we probably could have kept Weist,

Yeah. Probably. SMDH

http://articles.courant.com/2013-12...131218_1_t-j-weist-uconn-president-head-coach

"I made the choice I was going to pursue other opportunities even though me and my wife [Karen] love this university. We bought a house a block off campus. My wife works in the business school. We really fell in love with this place, but I thought it was best to make a decision to pursue other opportunities. I want to be a head coach. Now that I've been a head coach, I want to do it and know I can do it." - TJ Weist

Reaction Score
Yeah. Probably. SMDH

http://articles.courant.com/2013-12...131218_1_t-j-weist-uconn-president-head-coach

"I made the choice I was going to pursue other opportunities even though me and my wife [Karen] love this university. We bought a house a block off campus. My wife works in the business school. We really fell in love with this place, but I thought it was best to make a decision to pursue other opportunities. I want to be a head coach. Now that I've been a head coach, I want to do it and know I can do it." - TJ Weist

C'mon, you are smart enough to know that may not be how it actually went down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah. Probably. SMDH

Says the guy after he was let go. Maybe you are right. Whatever, not the point of the thread.

Reaction Score
Okay....

Former UConn interim football coach T.J. Weist said that he met with new head coach Bob Diaco on Monday but that there was never any discussion about retaining him.

Weist said it never got that far.

"I think, obviously, I believe our staff did a great job, especially at the end, and I wish more guys would have been retained, but that's really up to Bob and building his staff. He's a good guy, really is," Weist said. "I understand, as being the headcoach , you've got to have your own people, so it's fully understandable he would go in the direction he best sees fit."

Weist was never coming back as OC. Most of us would have loved for that to happen, many of us wouldn't have been upset if he got the HC job. But based on his resume, and his energy and enthusiasm, I can see why Warde gave him the job.

But saying Diaco has the same players simply isn't true. From Greene/Bennett to Cochran, there are very important pieces missing. The offense sucks, and the OC hasn't impressed anyone or even given us much to be optimistic about. Comparisons to Weist and last year are as if they had the same team are simply dishonest.

Reaction Score
okay, scratch the "same" players, he would have had a lot of his squad back and experience with the system. It might have worked, who knows. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom