Maybe UConn is ahead of the curve? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe UConn is ahead of the curve?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the ticket, concession and advertising revenues for fball were the past several years? I was curious how much money is in play here?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the ticket, concession and advertising revenues for fball were the past several years? I was curious how much money is in play here?

I wonder what the pricing is going to be this season. Who manages the concessions,UCONN or the stadium authority? I went to the Hartford Athletic game at the RENT on Fathers Day. Beer prices were as follows Drafts in plastic cups $ 5.00 (at UCONN games $8-9.00), 16 oz craft brews in cans (e.g. Two Roads) $ 8.00 (at UCONN games $ 10.00) If the stadium authority controls the concessions, there is no excuse for price gouging UCONN fans. Prices should be uniform across all attractions. This would drive the late Mike Bogoslowski into one of his patented tirades.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the pricing is going to be this season. Who manages the concessions,UCONN or the stadium authority? I went to the Hartford Athletic game at the RENT on Fathers Day. Beer prices were as follows Drafts in plastic cups $ 5.00 (at UCONN games $8-9.00), 16 oz craft brews in cans (e.g. Two Roads) $ 8.00 (at UCONN games $ 10.00) If the stadium authority controls the concessions, there is no excuse for price gouging UCONN fans. Prices should be uniform across all attractions. This would drive the late Mike Bogoslowski into one of his patented tirades.

UConn does not control pricing nor do I believe they share in the revenue generated.

Reaction Score
Going independent is just a stepping stone to return to 1AA. Money lost + difficult scheduling will result in "at least we tried". Rather than do it in 1 full cut, it will transition over 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
Going independent is just a stepping stone to 1AA. Low revenue + difficult scheduling options will result in " At least we tried" from the B.O.D. / Administration. "UC is a basketball school". This is easier that in 1 full cut.

Reaction Score
At least in the AAC you had a fighting chance for a decent bowl and the possibility(with a lot of hard work and some luck) of a shot at the national championship. A long shot for sure but now you don't even have that. A good steady showing in the AAC is your resume for an invitation to the P-5. Now that is gone. Poor decision.

Reaction Score
I think UConn has made a smart decision. Rather than play the waiting game they have decided to be proactive and make a move that re-invigorates the athletic department. When was the last time that UConn was headlining every news organization across the country? It's been a while now, especially by UConn standards!

They are going to use the Big East to drive enthusiasm across the fan base. UConn has a built-in advantage over the private schools, it will exploit that advantage, and soon enough it will be competing for championships in Men's and Women's basketball. It will regain its status as a school of champions while cutting the financial bleeding of expensive travel/logistics across the country. Re-invigorating the athletic department will only do well for UConn football. If the UConn brand its enhanced, it will help all the programs, including football.

The conditions that made UConn football succcesful in the 2000s are still there (infrastructure, statewide support, large student body, great facilitie) so I know that the school can return to those days if its gets back into a "virtuous cycle".

Let's cut the war between the football and basketball fans. We are all on this together! UCONN!

Reaction Score
I say the goal for now should be to create a scheduling alliance with Buffalo/UMass (I know its far from ideal, but its necessary right now) and try to get Syracuse/Army/Temple/Maryland/Penn State/Boston College in our schedule as much as possible. Get the occasional match up against a B10/ACC football team. Lastly, get good FCS programs to open the home season (James Madison, Villanova, Stony Brook, etc). The goal should be to stabilize the UConn football program: to get it in a position where it can feed off the positive press/marketing of the winning basketball programs. Once we stabilize and get at least .500 seasons we can start thinking about long-term growth and success.

I know it sounds easier that to actually pull it off. But if there is anyone that can pull this off, it is UConn

That has been UConn's recipe for success all along: Use the basketball programs to drive the growth of the UConn football brand. It worked well all acros the 90s and the 2000s. Once we got away from that recipe post-realignment, everything collapsed in front of us. You need to use your strongest programs to build the "winning culture" that Uconn enjoyed in the 2000s. It can be done again easily in the Big East. It was difficult to build it in the AAC because the school, the fans and the media didn't connect well with the AAC-UCONN relationship.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Only way a independent schedule can work is if AD Benedict(and I have a feeling he's out of here at the very next job offer) has a whole lotta friends in the P-5 world and Dave can parlay men's and women's basketball OOC games into a package that includes guaranteed football games. A package like: a home and home with UConn women, 2 home and homes with UConn men's B-ball and maybe a 2 for 1 for football. Or even just a home and home. Everyone wanted the basketball in the watered down Big East at the expense of football. Well looks like you got your wish. The least the AD can do now is use the basketball teams to entice some guaranteed football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom