Maybe not OT: Alabama director of basketball operations resigns | The Boneyard

Maybe not OT: Alabama director of basketball operations resigns

Reaction Score
Not exactly a basketball school. Sacrificial lamb? Please don't look at our football program? If they allow the basketball program to cheat......

Alabama director of basketball operations resigns after internal review

Wednesday night, Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne announced that he had accepted the resignation of Kobie Baker, the school’s director of basketball operations. Baker, who was entering his third season with the Tide, had previously worked for the NCAA as an assistant director of enforcement. Baker’s resignation came after Alabama had conducted an internal review of its basketball program.

“Following yesterday’s reports from New York regarding a Federal investigation of intercollegiate athletics, The University of Alabama Department of Athletics immediately initiated an internal review of our men’s basketball operation,” Byrne said in a statement. “As a result, we have accepted the resignation effective today of Kobie Baker, a men’s basketball administrator. Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions we have taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in our compliance efforts.”

Reaction Score
A lot more shoes are going to drop. This appears to be somewhat systematic corruption and graft with tentacles reaching in many places.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm thinking general counsel's at all D1 schools are putting on employees on notice to go full canary. Get out ahead of the story or get slaughtered.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking general counsel's at all D1 schools are putting on employees on notice to go full canary. Get out ahead of the story or get slaughtered.
The FBI has arrested assistant coaches which is a classic squeeze to get at bigger fish. They will turn them and more will follow. Miami just came out and said it's a target. So, we have OSU, Arizona, USC, Miami, Auburn, Alabama and Louisville reported under scrutiny thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sick thought but this might benefit UConn if some of these teams end of up with death penalties from the NCAA. Without a doubt universities are covering their rearends to protect football programs and will throw their basketball programs overboard in a half second. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA has the nuts to follow through or if P5 big money reigns supreme. You know the conferences wont do a damn thing to police themselves other than taking superficial action.

Reaction Score
"Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. "

Apparently, in less than 24 hours, they found the one guy that didn't break the rules and forced him to resign. No other coach or staff member was involved in not breaking the rules. That sounds about right for Alabama.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sick thought but this might benefit UConn if some of these teams end of up with death penalties from the NCAA. Without a doubt universities are covering their rearends to protect football programs and will throw their basketball programs overboard in a half second. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA has the nuts to follow through or if P5 big money reigns supreme. You know the conferences wont do a damn thing to police themselves other than taking superficial action.

I actually think it's the opposite. When Louisville was the only major target, it was good for us. But once you get multiple schools w/ FBI investigations, they're not just going to give like 4 huge schools the death penalty. One maybe, but not when it's a widespread scandal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually think it's the opposite. When Louisville was the only major target, it was good for us. But once you get multiple schools w/ FBI investigations, they're not just going to give like 4 huge schools the death penalty. One maybe, but not when it's a widespread scandal.
The difference being that Louisville was currently on probation for paying for sex for recruits and was spewing their desire to be a good citizen to the NCAA while directing $100k in cash to a recruit, and being caught on tape doing it. It's not a good look and doubt any other university will be caught in so perfect a [excrement] storm.

CL82

Reaction Score
The difference being that Louisville was currently on probation for paying for sex for recruits and was spewing their desire to be a good citizen to the NCAA while directing $100k in cash to a recruit, and being caught on tape doing it. It's not a good look and doubt any other university will be caught in so perfect a [excrement] storm.

The bigger this gets the more the public will demand action. Louisville has positioned itself to be the sacrificial lamb.

Reaction Score
Plus say what you will basketball is and has been a much bigger slimepit than football. Partly it is the nature of the game. Just too many moving parts. Partly it is that landing a single guy doesn't move the needle like it does in basketball. Partly it is that the one and done culture doesn't really exist so a system like what went on in hoops just doesn't work. There are too many variables that come into play over 3-5 years to make it worthwhile for Addidas to buy a football player. And except for the really top guys the return isn't as great. And finally there is nothing comparable to the AAU system in football. That system, largely funded by the companies at the heart of this scandal, is the basis for this mess.

I am NOT saying there isn't some of this going on in college football but my guess is it is much less than people think and further it involves more local booster driven smaller sums than what looks to be a national corporate funded system found in basketball.

Reaction Score
Anybody else see what I see? P5 programs monopolizing what should really be referred to a Billion Dollar industry called College Sports at the highest level (CFB and CBB).

I miss the days when College Football and College Basketball was good clean fun and only fun.. Well, it probably was never completely clean, but way cleaner than now...

It's probably like "Johnny Be Good" on steroids nowadays....

Reaction Score
Looks like it's gonna be all hands on deck for every school on the Nike/Adidas radar & beyond.

Reaction Score
Anybody else see what I see? P5 programs monopolizing what should really be referred to a Billion Dollar industry called College Sports at the highest level (CFB and CBB).

I miss the days when College Football and College Basketball was good clean fun and only fun.. Well, it probably was never completely clean, but way cleaner than now...

It's probably like "Johnny Be Good" on steroids nowadays....
This x1Million

Reaction Score
Baker, who was entering his third season with the Tide, had previously worked for the NCAA as an assistant director of enforcement.

You essentially hire a guy like this so you can cheat without getting caught by the NCAA or have them look the other way. When the FBI gets involved it's time rethink the plan.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
How could this not happen, with schools that have never done a thing in basketball all of a sudden go against the big boys and taking recruits that normally wouldn't have looked at those schools. Now I am not saying this hasn't been happening for a long period of time, I think it has. I think some schools will continue to do this paying of players and they are just better at it than others named on this list.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Plus say what you will basketball is and has been a much bigger slimepit than football. Partly it is the nature of the game. Just too many moving parts. Partly it is that landing a single guy doesn't move the needle like it does in basketball. Partly it is that the one and done culture doesn't really exist so a system like what went on in hoops just doesn't work. There are too many variables that come into play over 3-5 years to make it worthwhile for Addidas to buy a football player. And except for the really top guys the return isn't as great. And finally there is nothing comparable to the AAU system in football. That system, largely funded by the companies at the heart of this scandal, is the basis for this mess.

I am NOT saying there isn't some of this going on in college football but my guess is it is much less than people think and further it involves more local booster driven smaller sums than what looks to be a national corporate funded system found in basketball.
The NCAA — the school presidents — let this happen. It is too late, not to mention transparently hypocritical, for anyone sitting in a president’s chair to bemoan the incomprehensible wealth flowing through college sports. The presidents signed off on it years ago, allowing companies like Nike and Adidas to “supplement” their football and basketball coaches’ salaries. Alabama football coach Nick Saban, for example, has an eight-year, $65 million contract with an annual base salary of $245,000. He also has an annual “talent fee” of roughly $6.5 million, which comes from various places, but draws heavily from the money Nike gives the school.

You paying attention? It's possible that Nike pays Nick Saban more to coach Alabama than Alabama pays him to coach Alabama.

From this article by Doyle:

Doyel: FBI confirms NCAA doesn't run NCAA basketball. Shoe companies do.

Reaction Score
The NCAA — the school presidents — let this happen. It is too late, not to mention transparently hypocritical, for anyone sitting in a president’s chair to bemoan the incomprehensible wealth flowing through college sports. The presidents signed off on it years ago, allowing companies like Nike and Adidas to “supplement” their football and basketball coaches’ salaries. Alabama football coach Nick Saban, for example, has an eight-year, $65 million contract with an annual base salary of $245,000. He also has an annual “talent fee” of roughly $6.5 million, which comes from various places, but draws heavily from the money Nike gives the school.

You paying attention? It's possible that Nike pays Nick Saban more to coach Alabama than Alabama pays him to coach Alabama.

The same Alabama which allowed boosters to buy his house and let him live rent free after he lost his shirt on bad investments.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The same Alabama which allowed boosters to buy his house and let him live rent free after he lost his shirt on bad investments.
The big question is why Nike wants to give him so much money. The boosters I get. But what's the angle for Nike if free is correct. They aren't forking over money because they love Alabama.

Reaction Score
The big question is why Nike wants to give him so much money. The boosters I get. But what's the angle for Nike if free is correct. They aren't forking over money because they love Alabama.

My point was the University and the NCAA are complicit in a lot of foolishness. I was agreeing with the post I quoted.

CL82

Reaction Score
You give the public way too much credit.
Maybe. But paying for hookers for student athletes and bribing recruits aren't all that subtle imagery.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My point was the University and the NCAA are complicit in a lot of foolishness. I was agreeing with the post I quoted.
Question not directed to you but freescooter. We're both in agreement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom