Maybe Geno's most important coaching skill | The Boneyard

Maybe Geno's most important coaching skill

Reaction Score
Watching the Geno show on another thread, I got to thinking:

If you listen to Geno's speech pattern, there are occasionally complex-compound sentences, but mostly they're simple declarative sentences: subject, verb, object. There are so many simple sentences in succession followed by pauses in between those sentences that the listener can grasp easily the infrequent compound sentences. And, he hits his analogies perfectly and keeps his concepts simple. Plus he has fabulous voice modulation. He could talk for an hour straight and keep the listener both intrigued and trusting.

At the end of the day, some leaders/teachers are just more blessed with inherently more effective ways of communicating. For all the x's and o's, for all the energy spent on recruiting, for all the effort put into assembling a staff, for all his (in)famous brutal honesty as motivational psychology, Geno's capacity to communicate and hold the attention of his players may be his most important coaching skill. It is that skill that makes more effective all the others.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I liked him talking about the locker room speeches - how he keeps it real. The snippets we see of them follow the same concept. Keep it simple, keep it specific, cut the crap. I much prefer that approach to the one I see from a lot of coaches, with the 'win one for the gipper' bravado.

Reaction Score

If you listen to Geno's speech pattern, there are occasionally complex-compound sentences, but mostly they're simple declarative sentences: subject, verb, object. There are so many simple sentences in succession followed by pauses in between those sentences that the listener can grasp easily the infrequent compound sentences. And, he hits his analogies perfectly and keeps his concepts simple. Plus he has fabulous voice modulation. He could talk for an hour straight and keep the listener both intrigued and trusting.

At the end of the day, some leaders/teachers are just more blessed with inherently more effective ways of communicating. For all the x's and o's, for all the energy spent on recruiting, for all the effort put into assembling a staff, for all his (in)famous brutal honesty as motivational psychology, Geno's capacity to communicate and hold the attention of his players may be his most important coaching skill. It is that skill that makes more effective all the others.

Great stuff, Bags. IMHO, you're right on ...he is all that. Regarding, "...some leaders/teachers are just more blessed with inherently more effective ways of communicating..." this is true, as it is with all skills. Some are just inherently more adept and comfortable with the prospect of public communication. However, this is also something that can be learned. Many excellent orators and teachers labored long and hard to master these skills.

But ...it ain't easy, if you don't have the knack. As the old saying goes, "The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

Having taught public speaking for many years to aspiring leaders who knew they had to get better, I have seen the trepidation, the hesitation, the lack of confidence many, many, times. Most don't get over the hurdle. Those that do though, they can be as giddy with their achievement as college women basketball players celebrating on the bench when one of their teammates completes a triple-double. :D

However, those that do have the natural tendencies can still work to sharpen their skills, (modulation, intonation, spacing, melody, volume, inflection, delivery, facials, and more) and become masters of the house.

Geno is definitely a master of the house!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe this was about the best look at Geno as coach. Not the on the practice floor stuff, though it too was revealing, but what he expects and what drives him nuts. The pregame locker room stuff was very good too as well as his Hard, Smart, Fun explanation; but the best I got out of that was his saying he has to see where the kids minds are at that time and try to give them what they need. It was a treat to see that happy locker room after the Baylor(?) game.

Reaction Score
I liked him talking about the locker room speeches - how he keeps it real. The snippets we see of them follow the same concept. Keep it simple, keep it specific, cut the crap. I much prefer that approach to the one I see from a lot of coaches, with the 'win one for the gipper' bravado.

Good communications : Keep it simple--state that which must be communicated in simple term. Repeat it within the dialog.
Look directly to whom you are speaking--make eye contact--no frilly words--just the fact. Repeat.

We're going over the top boys---shoot the sob's! Short, effective, to the point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Contrast Geno with Brenda Frese, who always has a camera in the locker room when she exhorts her team to, "Win one for the Gipper." I've probably seen a half dozen or so Brenda pregame speeches, and all of them struck me as a little bit contrived and not at all inspiring. What's worse, her players don't seem to be particularly inspired either, often looking like a congregation sitting in church on a hot summer day, praying for the preacher to conclude his lengthy sermon so they can say Amen and run on over to IHOP for brunch.

Reaction Score

That joke he tells about the sixth grade kid in the school play is absolutely hilarious!! About the 7 minute point in the video!!!

Classic!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Such good points Bags. All that you've mentioned are techniques for drawing and maintaining a listeners attention. During the Nebraska game Brenda VanLegen and Kevin Kugler mentioned how during the shoot around Geno stopped play and started talking to his team. They noted that he was speaking so softly they had to lean in to hear what he was saying. A clear example of him modulating his voice as an attention focusing device. Also Geno has mentioned during an All-Access that at one time he believed his voice was the only voice that had to be heard in the gym. Now he leaves much of the coaching to CD, Shea and Marisa so that when he speaks what he says is is taken as most relevant. This is about choosing his moments, another attention focusing device.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Contrast Geno with Brenda Frese, who always has a camera in the locker room when she exhorts her team to, "Win one for the Gipper." I've probably seen a half dozen or so Brenda pregame speeches, and all of them struck me as a little bit contrived and not at all inspiring. What's worse, her players don't seem to be particularly inspired either, often looking like a congregation sitting in church on a hot summer day, praying for the preacher to conclude his lengthy sermon so they can say Amen and run on over to IHOP for brunch.
Which is why she used Walz as her bridge to her players. Gone now.

JordyG

Reaction Score

This is the only way I could double like what you'be said.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Great stuff, Bags. IMHO, you're right on ...he is all that. Regarding, "...some leaders/teachers are just more blessed with inherently more effective ways of communicating..." this is true, as it is with all skills. Some are just inherently more adept and comfortable with the prospect of public communication. However, this is also something that can be learned. Many excellent orators and teachers labored long and hard to master these skills.

But ...it ain't easy, if you don't have the knack. As the old saying goes, "The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public."

Having taught public speaking for many years to aspiring leaders who knew they had to get better, I have seen the trepidation, the hesitation, the lack of confidence many, many, times. Most don't get over the hurdle. Those that do though, they can be as giddy with their achievement as college women basketball players celebrating on the bench when one of their teammates completes a triple-double. :D

However, those that do have the natural tendencies can still work to sharpen their skills, (modulation, intonation, spacing, melody, volume, inflection, delivery, facials, and more) and become masters of the house.

And you.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Terrific post, Bags, and lots of great follow up posts.

I cannot add much but I would note that clarity of thinking leads to clarity of speech. Garbled, unfocused messages are a product of inept communication skills, to be sure, but can also be evidence of fuzzy thinking.

No one sees what is going on out there on the court like Geno does, and no one knows what it is supposed to look like better than him. So, that clarity of vision enhances his terrific ability to communicate that vision.

Another quality that helps him is his unfailing honesty. You see it when a reporter or interviewer asks him a question. He actually listens and gives a frank, honest answer. That is pretty rare in the world of sports. Also, very honest with his players.

Reaction Score
Thanks Bags...I can't catch all of these but I could listen to Geno for hours. I will not repeat all the aspects of his vernacular as you covered it well in the OP.
I will say, just my opinion, if I were a D1 coach I would have a library of what Geno has to say on the game. That and it would be a mandatory read / listen for any assistants. ..He simply gets it and tells it like it is!

Reaction Score

Brenda popped into my head as well, OD. She is a cliché on steroids. AND she always adds at the end of her hyped-up narrative the words "Let's go out and show them Maryland basketball." Well, we've shown them a lot of UConn basketball, and they've never beaten us. So there.

Reaction Score
Brenda Frese makes me ill! She is soooooo contrived! If she says "In our house" one more time I'll scream!
Wait-a minute, I'm screaming at the TV when ever she's on the tube! Thank God HuskyNan isn't here, she'd delete ME!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Brenda popped into my head as well, OD. She is a cliché on steroids. AND she always adds at the end of her hyped-up narrative the words "Let's go out and show them Maryland basketball." Well, we've shown them a lot of UConn basketball, and they've never beaten us. So there.
Have you thought maybe, just maybe, we UConn-ers aren't looking at it the right way?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Another speech communication educator on this board? I am amazed. And I resemble that remark.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Which is why she used Walz as her bridge to her players. Gone now.
and he "had" a speech impediment (stuttering)... which seems to have gone away according to the last interview I heard

JordyG

Reaction Score
and he "had" a speech impediment (stuttering)... which seems to have gone away according to the last interview I heard
Good point. Even with a speech impediment Walz communicated better with his players than Frese. I've a feeling someone with ESP or thought implacement would do a better job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That joke he tells about the sixth grade kid in the school play is absolutely hilarious!! About the 7 minute point in the video!!!

Classic!
It is, but makes a point right? No one cares if you are the greatest practice player in the world. Being able to pull it together when it counts is why you practice.

This part of Geno's genius. He expresses ideas in unique, often humorous and sometimes sarcastic, ways that stick in your mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom