Maya Making Announcement on Monday | The Boneyard

Maya Making Announcement on Monday

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
...Don't know what it is or even if it is basketball related. As much as I support whatever Maya's heart tells her to do, would it be so bad to have at least one game with her and Pheesa on the same team?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Same day as Pheesa's ROY announcement. Hope not but maybe

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg out with a story this morning on Maya and her work. She's not ready to make a decision about basketball yet.

As far as returning to the basketball court, Moore said she’s still uncertain.

“I’ll figure it out when the time’s right. Definitely not thinking about it right now. There’s so much on my plate to prioritize. When I released the Player’s Tribune article I said I wanted to take a full year. I won’t be a pro basketball player for a year. Maybe sometime this spring I’ll figure out what’s next. For now I’m trying to be in the moment. It’s a wild journey I’m on. Trying to take it literally one week at a time.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doug Feinberg out with a story this morning on Maya and her work. She's not ready to make a decision about basketball yet.

As far as returning to the basketball court, Moore said she’s still uncertain.

“I’ll figure it out when the time’s right. Definitely not thinking about it right now. There’s so much on my plate to prioritize. When I released the Player’s Tribune article I said I wanted to take a full year. I won’t be a pro basketball player for a year. Maybe sometime this spring I’ll figure out what’s next. For now I’m trying to be in the moment. It’s a wild journey I’m on. Trying to take it literally one week at a time.”

I admire Maya for taking a principled stance and having the courage of her convictions to back it up with her actions. I'd love to see her playing basketball again, especially with with Pheesa, but I support her regardless.

Maybe the announcement has to do with the Jeremy Irons case?

CL82

Reaction Score
Rule #1: Everyone in jail is innocent.
Rule #2: Everyone convicted was framed.
Rule #3: Everyone who believes Rules 1 and 2 is an idiot.
Not so much. If you read about this case and paucity of evidence it's hard to imagine how it met the beyond a shadow of doubt standard. I admire Maya and her family for stepping out of what can be a pretty comfortable life for them and standing up for they believe is right.

CL82

Reaction Score
I couldn't create a better example of reductio ad absurdum, Great job.
More straw man that reductio ad absurdum.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rule #1: Everyone in jail is innocent.
Rule #2: Everyone convicted was framed.
Rule #3: Everyone who believes Rules 1 and 2 is an idiot.
True. But as someone else said, believing everyone in jail is guilty and no one was framed / rushed to judgement is also an idiot.

Like most things, the truth is in the middle. I firmly believe that most folks in jail are guilty of what put them there (whether some of those things deserve to put someone in jail is a different argument). But you only have to look at DNA exoneration, later confessions of making up stories, and even documented evidence of prosecutor misconduct to realize that not everyone in jail is guilty.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
...Don't know what it is or even if it is basketball related. As much as I support whatever Maya's heart tells her to do, would it be so bad to have at least one game with her and Pheesa on the same team?

Pheesa just has to up her game a bit more. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Love Maya but it is the nature of sports celebrities to erroneously (ego driven and in a bubble) to believe they bring something unique to an issue, be it education, prison reform or what's wrong with America. Maya is sincere and well intended in pursuing what she sees as something of a ministry and she wisely says it is counterproductive to politicize it.

If Maya cames back to the Lynx will Cheryl be cool with that, and if she comes back what position does she play? What position does Phee play?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Maya cames back to the Lynx will Cheryl be cool with that, and if she comes back what position does she play? What position does Phee play?

Maya would be welcomed back in a second if Cheryl was sure Maya could put her heart back in the game and seeing Pheesa and Maya playing positionless but brilliant basketball would be a special joy.

Unfortunately, I really do not see it happening. If it was going to happen, I think she would have kept at least some form of contact with the team and showed perhaps some interest/enjoyment in how the team performed and overachieved.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maya would be welcomed back in a second if Cheryl was sure Maya could put her heart back in the game and seeing Pheesa and Maya playing positionless but brilliant basketball would be a special joy.

Unfortunately, I really do not see it happening. If it was going to happen, I think she would have kept at least some form of contact with the team and showed perhaps some interest/enjoyment in how the team performed and overachieved.

She said the "sabbatical" would be very away from the game, but the article reference to her charitable foundation is a big hint she won't be back. She has 'til the spring though. Difficult reaad, but on balance I think you are right.

Reaction Score

Has it been said there’s no contact?

Reaction Score
If she's returning to basketball, it wouldn't be an announcement, I fear.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Love Maya but it is the nature of sports celebrities to erroneously (ego driven and in a bubble) to believe they bring something unique to an issue, be it education, prison reform or what's wrong with America.

What sports celebrities (and Hollywood celebrities) bring that is different from the rest of us is their very celebrity, which results in media attention to their issues which would not occur otherwise, and which translates into fund raising, Congressional hearings, and similar spotlighting that the rest of us cannot bring to bear. This power is amplified if the celebrity is personally affected by the condition or issue which he/she is speaking about. For example, many Americans took a whole different view of AIDS when they learned that Rock Hudson was affected by it.

This celebrity power has been used by people on the right as well as the left (e.g., Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, Curt Schilling, Jim Bunning).

Celebrities are not delusional if they think that they have attention-getting power that others do not have, and they would be foolish not to use that power to advocate for what they believe in.

Reaction Score
Love Maya but it is the nature of sports celebrities to erroneously (ego driven and in a bubble) to believe they bring something unique to an issue, be it education, prison reform or what's wrong with America. Maya is sincere and well intended in pursuing what she sees as something of a ministry and she wisely says it is counterproductive to politicize it.

They do, being a celebrity who the masses know, unlike Joe Public. Therefore, she has a platform to reach more people who are more likely to listen, if for no other reason, because she is Maya Moore. Why must you try to make a negative situation out of something so selfless and positive? At least SHE is doing SOMETHING!! What are you doing to better society other than criticize others who are trying?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom