Maya looking a bit leaner in Lynx training camp | The Boneyard

Maya looking a bit leaner in Lynx training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Can't find the link, but in listening to a video interview with Lynx Coach Reeve from yesterday or the day before, Reeve noted that Maya appears noticably leaner and "more svelte" this spring. She speculated that it might be due to Taj McWilliams-Franklin, with whom Maya was apparently very close and who was famous for her healthy eating habits and otherwise taking care of her body.

Maya has typically opted for strength, while also remaining EXTREMELY fit and cut, but Reeve sees Maya a bit quicker and "jumping better" (her words) than she has seen her in the past, which was already great, of course (jumping).

Sounds like Maya may be committing to a somewhat lighter playing weight in the interests of quickness, with perhaps a little extra bonus in the vertical leap department (fewer pounds to elevate).

I have always regarded Maya as a world-class athlete, so this is just a change in focus rather than any big "improvement," other than perhaps some better nutrition and eating habits. I'm interested to see her first televised game to see if I can notice a difference in Maya.

[Edit: I will keep looking for the video of this interview]

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Can't find the link, but in listening to a video interview with Lynx Coach Reeve from yesterday or the day before, Reeve noted that Maya appears noticably leaner and "more svelte" this spring. She speculated that it might be due to Taj McWilliams-Franklin, with whom Maya was apparently very close and who was famous for her healthy eating habits and otherwise taking care of her body.

Maya has typically opted for strength, while also remaining EXTREMELY fit and cut, but Reeve sees Maya a bit quicker and "jumping better" (her words) than she has seen her in the past, which was already great, of course (jumping).

Sounds like Maya may be committing to a somewhat lighter playing weight in the interests of quickness, with perhaps a little extra bonus in the vertical leap department (fewer pounds to elevate).

I have always regarded Maya as a world-class athlete, so this is just a change in focus rather than any big "improvement," other than perhaps some better nutrition and eating habits. I'm interested to see her first televised game to see if I can notice a difference in Maya.

[Edit: I will keep looking for the video of this interview]

Here ya go. Scroll down and interview is on the right side.

http://www.wnba.com/lynx/news/training_camp_day_5_2013_05_10.html

Both Sue and Dee are noticeably thinner than when they played in college, though it seems Maya has done it at an earlier age (a point also made by Reeves). If Taj influenced Maya then maybe Maya will influence Whalen...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Invincible Queen may be cutting back on her favorite Red Velvet Cake. :)

Actually, Maya is very smart and takes care of her body well, having played in 154 straight at UConn.

I had not pieced this together--but McCarville and Whelan are back on the same team, as in college.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Diana made a huge change in her body post-college. She is noticeably quicker and can jump much higher (she could always jump, but she jumps quicker now). Pretty incredible.

Reaction Score
This was also the first off-season she spent in China. That may have impacted her eating habits as well.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wonderful article on Maya and her mom in the Star-Tribune, from Nan's links - she does look a bit slimmer in the [wonderful] pic below.

Maya:....."My mom did a lot of little things. Taking time to read to me when I was a little kid, so I could hear the words, hold the book and turn the page. She always did the little things.”
Kathryn: “Even if you don’t know if it will turn into big things.’"
Maya: ....“Exactly."

LINK

M22930521.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads