Maya is a winner | The Boneyard

Maya is a winner

Reaction Score
mayawinner.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya either wins or comes very close. She wins championships at least every other year. Here’s what happened when she didn’t:

Collins Hill: lost in the championship game as a freshman.

UConn: lost in the semifinals as a freshman and senior.

Lynx: lost in the WNBA championship series twice and in the Western Finals once.

The other 3 years at Collins Hill, 2 years at UConn, and 3 years in Minnesota, her team won the championship. She has an unmatched resume.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At this point, I've lost track, but I think Maya's championships also include:

World Cup in 2010 and 2014 (MVP)

Olympic Gold in 2012 and 2016

At least 1 Spanish league and 1 Euro league championship

At least 2 Chinese league championships

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't know if she's the GOAT because I've only been following wbb closely for 5 years or so.

But she's definitely the greatest player I've witnessed in that time.

Reaction Score
Maya is tremendous and is the ultimate competitor. No one is more competitive. Actually Lindsey Whalen looked close with that take down of Odessy Sims in game 4. Sparks had the youth and flash and momentum and the Lynx just willed their way to those final two wins.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maya is tremendous and is the ultimate competitor. No one is more competitive. Actually Lindsey Whalen looked close with that take down of Odessy Sims in game 4. Sparks had the youth and flash and momentum and the Lynx just willed their way to those final two wins.

The Lynx would not be denied in game 5. ALL 5 Lynx starters came to play. They ALL scored in double figures. BIG Syl lead the way with 17 points and 20 rebounds, laying the ground work to named series MVP.
Alan Iverson was known as "The answer" during his playing days. Sylvia Fowles was the answer Wednesday night, because the Sparks lots of questions (like how to stop her), but did not have an answer for her all night.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It came down to which team could overcome their own mistakes. The Lynx got more rebounds and turnovers, and that made a big difference down the stretch.

Still thinking Maya is a hoops goddess. Still have no use for Parker. I am not biased at all though. Completely objective. Yep.

Reaction Score
There's also a connection between Maya and the Final Four. When Maya came to Storrs in 2007, UConn had not made a Final Four in the prior three years. UConn made it to the Final Four in each of Maya's years, and has not missed a Final Four since. The Lynx have also made it to the WNBA's final four in the seven seasons since she joined the team. They had not accomplished that once before her arrival. This might be unmatched in team sports history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom