Maya Goes Crazy/ Lynx Win/My First WNBA Game | The Boneyard

Maya Goes Crazy/ Lynx Win/My First WNBA Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maya Moore was a force of nature today, tossing up 41 in the Lynx's last minute win over the Mercury in Phoenix today. It happened to be the first live WNBA game for my wife and me, and I thought maybe you'd like to hear some reactions, for whatever they're worth.

1. Geez, this is a game of stars. The teams seems to sense when one player is "on" and simply let that player carry the team. No one on the Lynx could get untracked at all except for Maya, so Maya did everything. And she was just as good as she was at UConn, smooth as silk and able to toss up shots that had no right going in. As my wife said, 'She moves more smoothly than the other players. doesn't she?'
2. Fowles and Augustus, world-class players, played like stiffs in the first half. Fowles had a few moments in the second half, but was not the player I expected to see. So Maya carried the show. On the Phoenix side, Griner was the one everyone paid attention to, though Currie is the star, for my money.
3. Brunson sure can disappear. I'm told she made the difference in the last game, but for a big body, she didn't score much and fouled a lot.That may have helped keep Griner in check, but she was not a difference-maker.
4. Renee Montgomery gets three minutes a game. In this one, she gave up a steal and bang, that was it. I don't think she has the coach's confidence. Ashja Jones played a fraction of a minute at the end of the first half. Is she hurt or just over the hill?
5. There are easily as many lapses of play as in the college game. There were a number of up-and-down, back-and-forth scrums that produced nothing but steals and badly missed shots. There was a shot clock violation. In a pro playoff game? Really?
6. The game is called very differently by the refs than the college game. There are lots of fouls, and many are obvious. But the refs let some things go while they call others that seem as ticky-tack as in the AAC. We'd have to see more games to get in the flow of what the refs are doing, and frankly, I'm not sure I want to do that.
7. As we were leaving, my wife said, 'I think I'd rather watch a good college game.' Actually, I was thinking I just prefer the college game, good or otherwise. At least with UConn, you see teamwork a lot more, and with other college teams, you often see attempted teamwork more.

In short, I'm glad I went -- to be able to say we did it -- but I don't think there was any basketball that was so memorable that it'll stay top of mind when I think about the day.

Reaction Score
7. I have no idea what people are looking at or what they expect when they make statements about the differences between the WNBA and the co0llege game as it comes to teamwork. In the WNBA, you have 5 supremely talented basketball layers on the floor against 5 other supremely talented basketball players; So talented, in fact, that two highly regarded UConn alums see limited minutes and one other does not even get off the bench. and, as you say in #1, this is a game of stars; Every bit as true in college as it is in the pros.

What you and your wife personally witnessed this afternoon was a one point game that was nip and tuck throughout on the home floor of the defending champions facing elimination in a game in which a UConn great scored a playoff career high, made two key free throws to tie the game, made a critical steal on the other end, and made the deciding free throw. All in the last 40 seconds of the game. If you cannot enjoy such a game or find it memorable, then there is very little one can do to alter that opinion. Hopefully, though, you will give the WNBA another shot. A lot of great players, many of whom matriculated at UConn playing fantastic basketball against players of similar ability.

Reaction Score
VAUCF, every word you say is true. I think what it is that with everyone a star, there is a temptation (as happens all the time in the NBA) to let very gifted athletes just go out there and create. And while the athleticism is unparalleled, teamwork can suffer.

So you get Griner, who makes some amazing drives and spins to the basket (though, as others on this board have suggested, she would have a more complete game if she would/could step outside more). And you have Moore who is a highlight reel unto herself. But one thing I noticed was that in this game of stars, I only saw two really handsome assists all night, one by Whalen and another by I-don't-know-who. And some would ask, "Who needs assists when all these people can take it to the hole every time?" Except they often don't, and probably would have done better with at least one more pass. The number of missed uncontested (or lightly contested) layups and gimmes was remarkable.

Or maybe I've been watching the Huskies for too long.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Who needs assists? Ask Tina. You get the game the other team gives you...

But, I guess some folks don't appreciate the W, and that's okay. It's a different game. Sorta like the NBA is. I have friends who can't stand ncaawb because the athletes are below average as is the coaching.

Reaction Score
Who needs assists? Ask Tina. You get the game the other team gives you...

But, I guess some folks don't appreciate the W, and that's okay. It's a different game. Sorta like the NBA is. I have friends who can't stand ncaawb because the athletes are below average as is the coaching.

That's what some people say about women's sports in general.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I rather watch a grind out game than a 40 point blow-out, hoping the 12th man knocks down a 3 after 5 attempts... even Geno hates the last 8 minutes (according to his facial expressions).

this is the reason "our girls" must travel to Australia to earn a living... not enough support at home

Reaction Score
Congrats to the Maya lead Lynx.Once again the Best Woman Player in the World did her thing.However,she gets no credit for her Defense and uncanny intangibles.

Reaction Score
Congrats to the Maya lead Lynx.Once again the Best Woman Player in the World did her thing.However,she gets no credit for her Defense and uncanny intangibles.

Maya made that defensive play near the end of the game with 5 fouls. She makes winning plays at both ends of the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom