Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread]

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Sounds like the same old song... Charles, EDD, Syl now Maya.... "Trade me or I'll sit out". This is the power of self-determination that the superstars have. They can make a bigger paycheck elsewhere, and most crave the time off to heal. The league and the fans are not their top priorities. One group of dedicated fans devastated, another elated.
Seems logical that she'll end up in Atlanta.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Difference between Maya and the others who've demanded trades is that Maya brought 4 titles to Minnesota and completely revitalized the franchise. EDD/Fowles/Charles never came close to finding the success Maya did, unless you count a rogue Finals Appearance by the Sky in 2014 when they were 15-19. Maya's given a ton to the Lynx, the WNBA, and USA Basketball. Out of respect, the Lynx should do their best to accommodate a trade that allows Maya to play wherever she wants to.

Reaction Score
Not wanting to start a rumor or anything...but, was just wondering is it possible that Maya could be in a family way? Again...just speculating, no churning the rumor mill.

Maya strikes me as a marriage-first type of person. I don’t think she’s secretly married.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Shades article hits the point of contention - I think. Seems the tag of "core" player means Maya plays four more years in Minny. Reading the article, the contracts allowed are very restrictive for the players. Based on the article, by being tagged a core player, Maya will play her first 8 seasons in Minny, 4 with the rookie contract structure and then 4 more as a core player.

If this is the bone of contention, I can certainly understand Maya's position.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can they core her again next year if she sits out the season?

Reaction Score
Can they core her again next year if she sits out the season?

The players opted out of the current CBA effective the 2020 season. Some people have speculated the coring rules will be one of the changes. Might reduce the number of times it could be used, or maybe eliminate it altogether. This is one of items that the league could concede without costing them anything financially. So they might give that to the players so they feel that they have at least won something.

So if coring is eliminated in the new CBA, Maya could take a year off for “rest” and never return to the Lynx, if that’s what she desires.

Reaction Score
As I said earlier ...

EXACTLY.

I said this earlier in the thread and will repeat it: there is NO evidence thus far that Maya requested a trade. Shame on the initial report and the OP for suggesting otherwise and implying that she was being a diva.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Anxiously awaiting today’s news announcement — my guess is she sits out this season but we’ll see.

I’m not ready to even *contemplate* her retiring ... WBB without Maya would be at odds with most known physical laws of the universe..!!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sounds like the same old song... Charles, EDD, Syl now Maya.... "Trade me or I'll sit out". This is the power of self-determination that the superstars have. They can make a bigger paycheck elsewhere, and most crave the time off to heal. The league and the fans are not their top priorities. One group of dedicated fans devastated, another elated.
Seems logical that she'll end up in Atlanta.
I'm thinking Connecticut. Then, she joins UCONN as coach and, if that doesn't work out, she can use her intimate inimitable inside knowledge of ESPN HQ and be a guide there.

Reaction Score
Anxiously awaiting today’s news announcement — my guess is she sits out this season but we’ll see.

I’m not ready to even *contemplate* her retiring ... WBB without Maya would be at odds with most known physical laws of the universe..!!

To me, Reeve signing Christmas was a big hint that Maya’s not playing this year. But it’s odd that they didn’t address the situation right away. Is there some reason they couldn’t say anything until this point?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Any idea what the core issue is?

Probably winning. Maya's personal slogan could simply be "Just Win." This is what she does. The Lynx are long in the tooth and Maya knows there are only so many years left in her body. Why endure a rebuild?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So if it moves it's a gif, if it's a still image it's a meme?
1549386432090.png

Reaction Score
Probably winning. Maya's personal slogan could simply be "Just Win." This is what she does. The Lynx are long in the tooth and Maya knows there are only so many years left in her body. Why endure a rebuild?

The report from the season ticket holder meeting suggests that Maya isn’t unhappy with the Lynx organization.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to some accurate news on the subject. Of course, I wish Maya the best. I’m not ready for her to retire, though I admit she has spoiled me over the past 12 years.

I know this couldn’t really happen, but Maya would be the ultimate “graduate transfer.” :)

Reaction Score
Not quite Shelly Pennefather Part II, but closest we've seen since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom