Max DeLorenzo | The Boneyard

Max DeLorenzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Max certainly deserves the touches he is getting. He is always running downhill moving the pile. Now we can throw to him more.

Reaction Score
I still wish I could remember the posters name (on the old board) who I think claimed to be from Berlin and was adamant about Max not being a D1 player.

Max looks like he is ready to join our long list of great backs, and he can catch passes too. That catch and run on 3rd and 15 in the 4th Q was huge.

Reaction Score
Even Max himself says he's not fast so I suppose that's a fact BUT he looks fast to me. He accelerates to the line and seems to blast off after busting through a hole or making a catch in space. And he seems to be a fierce competitor. Maybe not fast but I really like watching him.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I still wish I could remember the posters name (on the old board) who I think claimed to be from Berlin and was adamant about Max not being a D1 player.

Max looks like he is ready to join our long list of great backs, and he can catch passes too. That catch and run on 3rd and 15 in the 4th Q was huge.

I think the comment was that Max doesn't like to get hit. Which seems ridiculous now. I have enjoyed watching him develop.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think the comment was that Max doesn't like to get hit. Which seems ridiculous now. I have enjoyed watching him develop.
Yes, that was my recollection exactly of that poster's "insight."

Reaction Score
After the first game last season, Max's freshman year, it was obvious this kid was/is a football player. Some guys play better than their numbers. Max does little of everything you need on a football field and he does it with power.

He deserves many more carries and shame on the coaches for not recognizing this earlier.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Lou Allen.

Although I think he is not a bell cow back, he absolutely deserves to be the short yardage back for the remainder of his UCONN career. Not an easy gig when the entire defense knows what is coming on those 3rd and shorts. He does a great job of running North to South in those situations.

Reaction Score
I much prefer to see Max taking over the starting RB from McComb. McComb goes down on first hit where Max runs more like a power RB where he moves the pile. I hope Max starts with McComb coming off the bench as a 3rd down back.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Max makes and average line look good always seems to move the pile.

Reaction Score
It makes more sense to start Max and bring LM off the bench. Soften 'em up with the big guy and then the little guy looks a lot faster.

Brandon Jacobs first, then Tiki Barber.

Reaction Score
It makes more sense to start Max and bring LM off the bench. Soften 'em up with the big guy and then the little guy looks a lot faster.

Brandon Jacobs first, then Tiki Barber.
I agree. Max does a great job with power but lm cannot break a tackle he can spin and make u pay for missing one. He has rattled off some long runs this tear so having that in your pocket is nice. I like the way both r being used

Reaction Score
From a C.E. CT Post update today:

>>MAX A MILLION – In three of the last four games, backup tailback Max DeLorenzo has carried the ball more times than the starter, Lyle McCombs. Why? Easy, says interim head coach T.J. Weist.

“Everytime he gets the ball he does something with it,” Weist said Tuesday. “That’s all you want out of players is when they get the ball in their hands, they do something with it. They make plays. For a running back, you want him to make good cuts when (Max) gets the ball in his hands, he makes good cuts. He always ends up going forward and is always ready to go again and is always ready to keep making plays and is excited about it.”

DeLorenzo racked up 52 yards against Rutgers and scored two touchdowns from 12 and one-yard out. At Temple, he managed 61 yards and a touchdown while against SMU he added 62 yards and a touchdown to McCombs’ 103 and he posted 38 yards against Louisville to lead the UConn rushing attack.

“He’s playing with more confidence than he ever has because part of that confidence is making plays,” Weist said. “He’s always had a good attitude but it’s even more important to have a good attitude when you’re a player that’s a vital part of the offense, which he has become.”<<

Reaction Score
took me a while to find that thread from March 2012.....
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/foxx-to-wr-osiecki-to-fb.15886/
handle of the poster who reported some hearsay from Berlin was "CAPS".. was allegedly passing on some hearsay rather than expressing an opinion, and it earned him some criticism at the time
Mar 14, 2012"
I'm from Berlin, saw Max play a few times in High School and after watching his running style, which was and is slamming into the line between the tackles, I'd say that anyone who says that Max doesn't like to get hit has very questionable judgment, is making things up as I've never heard anything similar to that - ever, or is getting their info from someone whose making stuff up.

Reaction Score
Even Max himself says he's not fast so I suppose that's a fact BUT he looks fast to me. He accelerates to the line and seems to blast off after busting through a hole or making a catch in space. And he seems to be a fierce competitor. Maybe not fast but I really like watching him.

There are two types of speed in my book. Flat-out open field speed and sudden, explosive, power speed. Different sport; but I used to have that sudden speed in soccer. Playing defensive Midfield, if the ball was in the right spot and the other team was not, I could ‘explode’ up and take the ball, which gave me immediate separation. The speed demons on the other team would catch-up quick; but, that 3 second hole I earned was usually enough to find a good outlet pass and, on a rare occasion, a direct shot on net.
Max is like that, he uses that quick burst to find the hole in the line and get to the defense’s second layer. Then, the defense has the fun task of trying to bring the big guy down with a pile of smaller defensive backs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate