Maturing Travis Jones primed for a breakout sophomore season at UConn | The Boneyard

Maturing Travis Jones primed for a breakout sophomore season at UConn

Reaction Score

>>... Still, the former Wilbur Cross star was left thinking about the plays he didn’t made. He couldn’t get the visions of opposing running backs bursting through the line for huge gains or quarterbacks letting loose with deep throws before Jones or one of his fellow freshman linemen closed in.

Those thoughts were fresh in his mind when he headed home for a few weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Jones knew he could be an effective player if he remained at his listed weight of 350 pounds but knew he could stay on the field for more plays and be even more of a disruptive force if he dropped some pounds. Despite the temptation of loading up on some delicious home-cooked meals, Jones had one thing on his mind before returning to Storrs for the spring semester.

“First thing I did was change my diet and stop eating as much,” Jones said. “I ate less sugar, more salad, fish, things like that. I felt quicker and even without the weight, I feel way stronger than I did before.”

Jones is now listed at 336 pounds and he is ready to build on his freshman season.<<

Reaction Score
Edsall is hoping that his young players will be running to the ball with more regularity than they did a season ago.

I pointed this out often. There were kids jogging while the play was live. Its one thing to not be good enough, not running to the ball is a whole different issue.

Reaction Score
Edsall is hoping that his young players will be running to the ball with more regularity than they did a season ago.

I pointed this out often. There were kids jogging while the play was live. Its one thing to not be good enough, not running to the ball is a whole different issue.

And “to the ball” is the key. Too many bad angles last year so that they could not contain plays.

Reaction Score
And “to the ball” is the key. Too many bad angles last year so that they could not contain plays.
And that is something kids learn at such a young age, you don't expect to see an FBS team be so bad at it. For that reason alone I'm glad they cleaned house on the defensive coaching staff. It really gave me confidence that Edsall hasn't completely lost his fastball.

Reaction Score
He's a house. He's also very talented for kid that size. This isn't the big kids Diaco brought in who couldn't move a lick. Kids this big who move like does do not usually end up at UConn.

Big athletic looking frame.

Reaction Score
Football is a rough sport. Getting a feel last year for how offenses come after you, block, hold, trip, double/triple team all should lead Travis to where he seems to be headed - I want to dish out some pain (rather than mostly being on the receiving end) so need more strength/stamina/technique.
Add a Scam Newton and Foley to an ok UConn team and you get a big time winning team (remember thinking in 2010 just add those 2 guys to UConn and team would be top caliber), maybe Travis can be the Foley.
Not sure why Houston wasn't a better defensive team last couple of years with Oliver.

Reaction Score
The awesome part about freshman is they come in as is then throughout the years you see maturity and physical build develop. This is the best part about college football. Seeing our players work hard on and off the field is how it should be. Travis is going to be a beast.

Reaction Score
“He has lost weight, put on muscle and worked extremely hard. He is right on track to where he needs to be, as a matter of fact he is ahead of where he probably should be at this stage of his career.”
He looks much more athletic in the pic than last year.

Reaction Score
Actually, it’s not only Jones. Peart, Van Demark, DeGeorge—all of our linemen, both D and O look bigger and stronger (or leaner and more agile as the case may be) and clearly more physical. They’ve all suffered through a few awful years with both their bodies and egos bruised. They re ready to “hit somebody”.

Reaction Score

>>... Still, the former Wilbur Cross star was left thinking about the plays he didn’t made. He couldn’t get the visions of opposing running backs bursting through the line for huge gains or quarterbacks letting loose with deep throws before Jones or one of his fellow freshman linemen closed in.

Those thoughts were fresh in his mind when he headed home for a few weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Jones knew he could be an effective player if he remained at his listed weight of 350 pounds but knew he could stay on the field for more plays and be even more of a disruptive force if he dropped some pounds. Despite the temptation of loading up on some delicious home-cooked meals, Jones had one thing on his mind before returning to Storrs for the spring semester.

“First thing I did was change my diet and stop eating as much,” Jones said. “I ate less sugar, more salad, fish, things like that. I felt quicker and even without the weight, I feel way stronger than I did before.”

Jones is now listed at 336 pounds and he is ready to build on his freshman season.<<
He was beaten by experience last year... hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Reaction Score
The awesome part about freshman is they come in as is then throughout the years you see maturity and physical build develop. This is the best part about college football. Seeing our players work hard on and off the field is how it should be. Travis is going to be a beast.

And looks like we are getting back to RE’s formula of developing guys, RS if needed and then playing them. We have not done that for a while now and it just wasn’t possible last year after the roster decimation of the “two whose names we dare not speak”.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Mom and friend told my friends and I he is down to 328 pounds.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ostrout:

Good. No paywall on this one. These stories are giving me a little encouragement that we will truly be better this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom