OT - Mattresses | The Boneyard

OT - Mattresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
spring or memory foam... what do you prefer? Queen, King or California King?

Do you buy preteens the best of the best as well for their twin-size beds?

Do you buy from "Bedding Barn" or is Macy's or Walmart ok?

Cost?

Reaction Score
the topic drew me, as I thought this was a Godfather reference.."we're going to the mattresses" and I asked for what?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In my experience, you would be best advised to buy the pre-teen whatever the pre-teen wants. Also in my experience, both memory foam and innerspring vary wildly in quality, and the better quality of each is about equal, but quite different. It becomes a matter of personal taste. You can also buy 2 or 3 inch memory foam toppers for spring mattresses.
Incidentally, see your PMs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When we bought, we bought from a well established mattress company based here in AZ; they were taken over by "Mattress Firm" within the last year.

They were wonderful, explained each mattress, had us try innumerable brands and varieties, and the prices were competitive with other "non-discount" firms.

Since we have drawers under the mattress, we bought a queen with a pillow-top and it isn't memory foam, but IIRC has some slight characteristics of it. One of the major brands, but it is all personal taste.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I personally find sleeping on foam of any kind impossible - my body even in sleep produces a fair amount of heat and I have yet to find a foam mattress that doesn't result in the side against the mattress overheating. But that is really a personal issue and unless you have had the same experience not a normal problem. So ... the choice is really what feels best for you. But I would go with high quality - high coil counts, and heavy duty wire if you go inner spring - you will not notice it in the first year, but cheap stuff will start to develop lumps, change in comfort, etc.
I have a lot of success using mail order company US-Mattress.com ordering 5 mattresses over the years from them. They have a fairly good softness rating system, a huge selection, and a good replacement program should the mattress not be to your liking once you try it.
I have also found that mattress companies (like many electronics companies) create 'model identifiers' that are unique to each store (at least at the discount stores) so that the price guarantees that are offer are impossible to use for comparison pricing. The same model will be called 'Daytona' at one store and 'Riviera' at another for example.
Finally - the comfort level experience - lying down on a mattress in store for five minutes to test it is very different from actually sleeping eight hours on it at home. You tend to buy a harder mattress on the 5 minute test drive than you want for a 8 hour sleep. It is why sitting on the floor for a few minutes to play with your kids is OK, but actually sitting on the floor to watch a 2 hour movie becomes really uncomfortable and you want at least a cushion.

And while we tend to think we only need to pamper ourselves as we get older - good rest at any age is important, so I would get good mattresses for anyone at any age.
Another thing - box springs really no longer serve the 'spring' function they used to - that is all now contained in the mattress and the box spring just provides a flat solid surface. And with mattresses becoming ridiculously thick, unless you like 'climbing' into bed - go with the lowest profile box spring you can find. I find I have had to remove the wheels on bed frames just to get the bed to a normal height.

King/Cal King/Queen is all personal choice and bedroom space - take measurements in your bedroom and lay out where the bed would come to if you are upgrading in size. And check your access to the bedroom especially if it is available only through a stairway - mattress are no longer as bendable as they used to be and with the added thickness even on a diagonal they may be hard or impossible to get from the front door to the bedroom - and king size box springs are actually two piece, but queen size are one piece. Cal King is really only important if you are well over 6'

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Probably more info than you wanted but one last thought - if you buy in store, read the 'guarantee' carefully, especially the return policy. Most stores offer a return policy, but often it is ONLY valid if you have also bought a mattress cover from the store at the same time as the mattress! That happened to me once, and I only got to return/replace the mattress because the stores printer had jammed when I bought the mattress and they had mailed the guarantee a few days later.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Probably more info than you wanted but one last thought - if you buy in store, read the 'guarantee' carefully, especially the return policy. Most stores offer a return policy, but often it is ONLY valid if you have also bought a mattress cover from the store at the same time as the mattress! That happened to me once, and I only got to return/replace the mattress because the stores printer had jammed when I bought the mattress and they had mailed the guarantee a few days later.
I recall Bobs Furniture having that deal, cover was about 40-50.00. I passed on it.
Thanks for your info

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I recall Bobs Furniture having that deal, cover was about 40-50.00. I passed on it.
Thanks for your info
The reason for that clause in the guarantee has to do with your sweat. Unless the people who will sleep on the bed do not sweat, or you replace your mattress every couple of years or you don't care about the sweat stains & resulting odor, the waterproof cover is a good buy, is washable and can be used on your next mattress as well. The new covers do not change the feel of the mattress to me and I've used one on a pillow-top and on a waterbed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Love the mattress cover - and it was I think more than $50.

But it is waterproof, you don't notice it, washes up fine and has been invaluable.

Mom has the sleep number bed, and certainly likes it, although I question if it is really set right any longer; unfortunately at 95 she isn't so discriminating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The reason for that clause in the guarantee has to do with your sweat. Unless the people who will sleep on the bed do not sweat, or you replace your mattress every couple of years or you don't care about the sweat stains & resulting odor, the waterproof cover is a good buy, is washable and can be used on your next mattress as well. The new covers do not change the feel of the mattress to me and I've used one on a pillow-top and on a waterbed.
Yes - but the specific store I bought at and I think a lot of others require that you purchase the cover new from them at the time of the mattress or the return guarantee is voided.
I always use a mattress pad, but prefer the old all cotton batting kind because I want it to be 'breathable' and definitely do not want the modern 'quilted down' type ones. Finally found an all natural organic supplier which was not cheap, but I love it. FYI - I now use a cotton covered silk filled pillow cover too. Serves the same function as the mattress pad - not just for sweat, but those days when you discover you slept with your mouth open, too :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The nice thing about the Costco foam mattress is that if you don't like it they will come and get it, no charge. Incidentally, Comsumer Reports rates the Bob-o-pedic as just slightly better than the tempur-pedic, at about $300 less. I was amazed.

Reaction Score
1-800 mattress, they deliver, set-up and take old one if you have one. I have used them for my daughters 19 and 16 since they were little. They have never complained, in fact i've slept in them a couple times over the years without any issues.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1-800 mattress, they deliver, set-up and take old one if you have one. I have used them for my daughters 19 and 16 since they were little. They have never complained, in fact i've slept in them a couple times over the years without any issues.
oh you had issues... the wifey didnt want to hear your snoring lol

Reaction Score
The nice thing about the Costco foam mattress is that if you don't like it they will come and get it, no charge. Incidentally, Comsumer Reports rates the Bob-o-pedic as just slightly better than the tempur-pedic, at about $300 less. I was amazed.
We have Bob-o-pedic and it certainly remembers where my butt goes. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul