Matthew Mitchell announces his retirement | The Boneyard

Matthew Mitchell announces his retirement

Reaction Score
It is absolutely amazing how quickly things can change in a person’s life. It is additionally heartbreaking that he seemed to be a quick upward trajectory in his career. However as I saw in a recent email to me (my apologies that I cannot remember to whom the quote belongs): You can always be replaced at work but you are irreplaceable at home. My prayers on a quick and complete recovery as well as comfort and guidance for his family, team, and friends.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, I hope he watches with pride and joy how well these Wildcats do this year and know he's responsible. Get well soon and our thoughts and prayers are with you!
:)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This isn't necessarily the end for Mitchell whom I've always respected as a coach. He is still young enough to sit back and heal for 2 or 3 years and make a return to D1 coaching. All the best to a guy who was actually one of my favorite coaches to watch.

Reaction Score
Kyra Elzy to take over for now....Can someone tell me is she a Tennesse alumni?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As a student-athlete, Elzy played under Hall of Famer Pat Summitt at Tennessee. The four-year letterwinner, who actually spent five seasons in a Lady Vols uniform after missing the 1998-99 season with an injury, was a member of two national championship teams (1997 and 1998) and a national runner-up squad (2000). During her time in Knoxville, she played in 126 games and earned the Holly Warlick Defensive Player of the Year award in 1997 and the Unsung Hero Award in 1998.

Kyra Elzy to take over for now....Can someone tell me is she a Tennesse alumni?

Reaction Score
Tough to retire, I know because leaving my business life behind took some time to adjust. Here is hoping Mitchell is able to adjust to new life and continue to have a positive influence on our world. GOOD LUCK, MATTHEW!

Reaction Score
I am sorry to hear this. Mitchell and I are close to the same age. Fun fact: his hometown is the same on as long time Ole Miss Coach Van Chancellor, about 30 miles south of Starkville. Also both have their bachelor degrees from Mississippi State. Mitchell and I were in school there around the same time but our paths never crossed.

He's done a terrific job at Kentucky and I'm sorry his health has declined to a point where this was necessary. Rather than take a medical leave of absence this year, which wouldn't be out of the ordinary, he chose to retire so I worry his illness is much more serious than we even originally read about.

I hope he gets well soon and is able to come back and coach again, even if it's not at the SEC D1 level. Elzy has a lot to work with and if she does well is probably a lock for the permanent job.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
As a student-athlete, Elzy played under Hall of Famer Pat Summitt at Tennessee. The four-year letterwinner, who actually spent five seasons in a Lady Vols uniform after missing the 1998-99 season with an injury, was a member of two national championship teams (1997 and 1998) and a national runner-up squad (2000). During her time in Knoxville, she played in 126 games and earned the Holly Warlick Defensive Player of the Year award in 1997 and the Unsung Hero Award in 1998.
Defensive as in “umm, I don’t know, I just don’t know, we’ll just get back and work hard” ? :rolleyes:

As noted above, I wish him a great recovery and a comeback into coaching when that happens.
I did see the opportunity for levity though so I had to take...:cool:

Reaction Score
I know we don’t like Tennessee but you have to respect the fact that Pat Summit’s coaching tree is second to none. It occurred to me suddenly as I was watching the annual sec media day coaching clips on ESPN that Nikki Fargas, Nikki McCray, Kyra Elzy, Kellie Jolly, and Kara Lawson are all currently head coaches..there may be more, but that’s right off the top of my head. Wow!

Reaction Score
I know we don’t like Tennessee but you have to respect the fact that Pat Summit’s coaching tree is second to none. It occurred to me suddenly as I was watching the annual sec media day coaching clips on ESPN that Nikki Fargas, Nikki McCray, Kyra Elzy, Kellie Jolly, and Kara Lawson are all currently head coaches..there may be more, but that’s right off the top of my head. Wow!
Does “played for her but didn’t coach under her” count as coaching tree?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Does “played for her but didn’t coach under her” count as coaching tree?
Yes, but Tennessee does take it to extremes. Do you remember Stephanie Glance - Kay Yow's Associate Head Coach, currently out of coaching and I think the head of the Kay Yow Fund (so far as I know). After leaving NC State Pat hired her for an administrative position, however, something happened to an Assistant (possibly a pregnancy) and she was moved to an Acting Assistant Coach. The next year she was listed on Pat's coaching tree ( I think she was coaching in the Ivy League). Really??

I rarely have much about Tennessee that I feel called upon to complain about, but that was ridiculous.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I just hope to see Matthew Mitchell in the stands as some of the Kentucky games in the future or a podcast with the network on a nationally televised game (Rebecca or Maria just not gawd awful Andy). :)

Reaction Score
Bless him and his family!
unnamed+%281%29.jpg

Reaction Score
I truly hope Coach Mitchell heals well and recovers fully. Head injuries are no joke, and he is right to be cautious about his health, especially during a pandemic.

But ... is no one going to comment about the optics of making this announcement the day AFTER signing day? I mean, that's not a coincidence, right?

I don't like how the 'Cats handled this, though I hope Coach Elzy does really well. She's certainly inheriting a great team (that she helped make great).

Reaction Score
Have nothing but good wishes for him. Terrible thing to be taken out of your occupation before you are done. Hope his retirement is fulfilling.

There was definitely spice in the UK-USC series that flowed out of UK's physical style. The programs were very similar for a bit and that can be abrasive.

I enjoy having games with edge, so he will be missed if UK doesn't hold on to that.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So, I am curious if Kentucky keeping the seat warm in case he recovers fully and feels better a year from now...also Joanne P McCallie is ready and available and has all those blue sweaters already... :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom