Matt Walsh | The Boneyard

Matt Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In- state FB/LB (6'1" 220 lbs) from Daniel Hand in Madison just received a UConn offer and will visit this weekend. Very likely to commit.

Reaction Score
In- state FB/LB (6'1" 220 lbs) from Daniel Hand in Madison just received a UConn offer and will visit this weekend. Very likely to commit.
Do you know his name. Other offers etc. thanks

Reaction Score
I hope he projects as a LB; we seem to be cornering the market on FBs

Reaction Score
There has to be a joke here with someone coming from Hand H.S. in the aftermath of our discussion on how you pronounce Fuchs. But for the life of me I can't think of it.

Reaction Score
There has to be a joke here with someone coming from Hand H.S. in the aftermath of our discussion on how you pronounce Fuchs. But for the life of me I can't think of it.
I'm sure it also involves Jessica Alba

Reaction Score
Here's a pretty good follow on Twitter or Facebook.

“@CTHSFootball: Hand Sr. FB/LB Matt Walsh, committed to UConn today (via @KenDavis55) #whoswhoin2012 #ctfb... http://post original url/AqnZrbIo”

Reaction Score
OK, but I'm not seeing that he has any other D1 interest, never mind offers. Is this the highest kid on their board at his position right now? Hard to believe.

Rennick Bryan, Richard Levy and Guttierez, weren't on anyone's board either and all three look like players. If you wait and someone else starts showing him interest you can lose out. I think we should just have faith in the coaches...at least for another month.

it looks like there will be more player turnover with P then we had in the past. P leaves no rock unturned, personally I think that is a good thing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
bryan had a temple offer
gutz had a kansas offer
levy was under the radar in nj

i think this one could have waited a bit also, i have the same feeling with 2 of our cb commits(lucas and summers). i assume they all did great at uconn camp. i'm routing for them just liek any other uconn player, i dont hate. but i have seen us take good steps up in recritng this year so far but considering the offers we still have out i would have liked to wait on these kids a bit. but im not P and i will never be. in P i trust until he gives me enough of a reason not to!

edit also- bryan wanted uconn and used temple as a saftey type deal. he didn't go to camps and stuff outside of uconn. he was a lock and all he wanted was a uconn offer. he didn't care about ofther schools or recriut stars. i wonder if walsh is the same. if bryan went to psu/bc/cuse/pitt/ruty camps and stuff, he would have got a couple offers. fwiw

Reaction Score
I have no idea how this kid will play out, but we have 4-6 FBs on the roster (depends on what you do w/Clax and Vinci) and while one graduates that kid will likely never see the field. Do we need this many FBs?

Reaction Score
I like this kid. Saw him play a few times. He has a great motor and can play on either side of the ball. If anything he has versatility, adds depth, and will help on special teams and the scout teams.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
OK, but I'm not seeing that he has any other D1 interest, never mind offers. Is this the highest kid on their board at his position right now? Hard to believe.

I don't know if he is or not, but I keep coming back to another in state LB we had with no other BCS offers. He worked out well for us. Then I think about Difton and how many other schools wanted him. Then there is Kevin Poles, a kid who was the first in his class to commit (meaning we "really" wanted him I suppose) and he never made an impact on the field.

I just don't see the value in questioning the moves they've made. They've seen these kids in camp, they've talked to them, they've talked to their coaches and their families. They know more about these kids than we ever will, and they get paid to do what they do. Until the kids show up and we find out they aren't what we need, it just seems like a waste of time to continue questioning their decisions.

I understand why you might think we could have landed someone better, but this staff obviusly recruits differently, because we have taken commitments from kids that are obviously open to "better" offers coming around. And I'm not saying you "can't" have the conversation, or ask the questions, it's just that nobody has a real answer because we just don't know.

Reaction Score
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2012/08/hands-matt-walsh-talks-about-his.html

I was mistaken about future position...

"Although Walsh is a tremendous linebacker for the Tigers, UConn is looking for Walsh to come in as a fullback.

"(UConn offensive coordinator) George DeLeone has recruited him since April," Hand coach Steve Filippone said. "They did a great job recruiting him and he is going to be a good player for them. I think the first thing that stands out is the intensity that he plays with. He doesn't take any plays off and he goes hard all the time.

"(Fullback) was the position they thought he would be the most useful to them and a position that they might be looking for a fullback at the end of this season."

Walsh, who saw time at both fullback and tailback as a junior at Hand, plays with a linebacker's mentality even when he is on offense.

Walsh admits the chance for his family and friends to be able to see him play his home games in Connecticut is a major plus in Walsh heading to UConn."

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If you are recruiting him as a Fullback I don't particularly care what his rating is and who is interested in him etc. If they see something in him that they like (i.e. good run blocker) and he will fill a specific role for the team then take him. Given that he plays LB as well I assume he is being taken to be a hard nosed blocker and special teams player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom