Matt Schembechler | The Boneyard

Matt Schembechler

Reaction Score
Allegedly coming forward with evidence his father knew of the abuse happening at Michigan including himself as a victim.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I just have to assume that the Schembeckler/Paterno generation of men, were ill prepared to understand the impact of these assaults.

Reaction Score
I just have to assume that the Schembeckler/Paterno generation of men, were ill prepared to understand the impact of these assaults.
They were obviously old school. Who cares, no one needs to know or will find out.

Kind of ironic that when people did find out about JoePa, he passed away not long after he lost his job and was "spared" the consequences of his management. I could imagine stress may possibly have taken a toll on him. Key word, possibly.

Sociopaths are only hurt by their own egos being hurt. Zero regard for the true well being of their fellow humans.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
My father was of that generation. He was a very nice man who never lost his temper. If anyone assulted me and he found out ,they would be lucky to make it to the hospital alive.

True, except for the key part of the original post: "including himself as a victim"

The desire to beat the #$%@@$ out of whoever hurt their kid would be strongly offset by the whole realm of "things that aren't spoken of"

This is an incredibly difficult admission by Matt Schembechler - kudos to him.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with earlier takes but also society was ill-prepared to deal with it. Made the downside much greater than the upside. These guys just wanted to coach winning football. That often leads to ethical compromises. We generally move forward or backwards as a society except for the early crusaders who generally suffer as a result.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My father was of that generation. He was a very nice man who never lost his temper. If anyone assulted me and he found out ,they would be lucky to make it to the hospital alive.

My sister's boyfriend hit her once. A few days later she came home crying that somebody pulled her boyfriend out of his truck and broke his hands. For some reason that's when they broke up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with earlier takes but also society was ill-prepared to deal with it. Made the downside much greater than the upside. These guys just wanted to coach winning football. That often leads to ethical compromises. We generally move forward or backwards as a society except for the early crusaders who generally suffer as a result.

This is exactly right. There were a lot of predators back in the day that counted on the fact that people would be too consumed with shame to come forward. Society's conservative approach to sexuality made the problem worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Schembeckler and Paterno are the tip of the iceberg, and we will never know about most of the worst behavior. Colleges would cover up sexual assaults by athletes and coaches all the time, and the victims had no where to turn.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Penn State fans??

Quite an indictment on humanity.
Not in article that you linked.

In any event, Penn St. fans couldn't seem to acknowledge that Paterno, at best, turned a blind eye to what going on. He was a great coach, but his failure act on Sandusky is justifiably an ugly part of his legacy.

CL82

Reaction Score
Are you telling me that neither have been described as such? Honestly? Like I always say, you and good faith have been strangers for years. During the boy-rape thing Paterno apologists said it so much it became part of his name.
Do you know of anyone who has or are you just imagining it? The inability to distinguish between imagination and fact is classic indicator of insanity. Do the voices you hear tell you other things as well?

Reaction Score
My sister's boyfriend hit her once. A few days later she came home crying that somebody pulled her boyfriend out of his truck and broke his hands. For some reason that's when they broke up.

Back in 1967, my sister was being stalked (we didn't call it that, then) by her ex-boyfriend. He would follow her everywhere and try to intimidate her.

My brother got back from a year in Vietnam and saw the guy in his car across the street from my parent's house. It was my brother's homecoming party.

Well, Gary walked over and talked to the guy through the window for about three minutes. He drove away and we never saw him again.

Gary wouldn't tell anyone what he said for quite a while but later admitted that he had knocked on the window, shown the guy his serrated knife and in his cold, quiet voice said:

"Hi, I am ____'s brother. I just got back from Vietnam, where I killed _____guys for a lot less reason than I have to kill you right now. Take a hike and never show your face again."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Schembeckler and Paterno are the tip of the iceberg, and we will never know about most of the worst behavior. Colleges would cover up sexual assaults by athletes and coaches all the time, and the victims had no where to turn.
I just don't think they thought it was a big deal.
Open a phone book and throw a dart.
First step....find a phone book....;)

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
They need to tear down the statue of him and rename schembechler hall, and put some sort of acknowledgment of the systemic failure of the administration in the football museum that’s in the hall currently.

Reaction Score
The linked article below makes it very clear that the school administrators and coaches were very aware of this predator's actions...and yet allowed it to continue...

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah, some of the people in the article are from his church. You dense?

Penn State people were angrier over JoePa being fired than kids being raped.
Lol wait, you are asking me if I am dense because of a new article that you just posted like four hours after your original post? Too funny.

I really am lost on the point you are trying to make. A Christian newspaper condemning Joe Pa's actions seems a little incongruous to the original point in the thread.

I am in complete agreement that Penn St. fans refusal to acknowledge Joe Pa's actions complicity regarding Sandusky access to kids is unsettling.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Poor kid, I hope he's learned to text with his toes. My sister's college boyfriend had a similar experience but with his knees. Crazy how those things happen so randomly.

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Here's a novel idea: instead of hoping that coaching staffs deal with such problems and then blaming them when they don't, victims should immediately report criminal violations to a bona fide local, state, or federal law enforcement agency (not the campus cops). Coaches, college administrators, and campus cops aren't qualified to conduct serious criminal investigations, and they may even be complicit or have a vested interest in sweeping potentially damaging allegations under the rug.

If college administrators decide to conduct parallel investigations and sanction or fire complicit or negligent employees, then that's within their purview.

Bringing criminal violations to light twenty years after the fact and/or treating them as civil matters isn't an effective way to deal with abusive folks in positions of authority.

Reaction Score
Here's a novel idea: instead of hoping that coaching staffs deal with such problems and then blaming them when they don't, victims should immediately report criminal violations to a bona fide local, state, or federal law enforcement agency (not the campus cops). Coaches, college administrators, and campus cops aren't qualified to conduct serious criminal investigations, and they may even be complicit or have a vested interest in sweeping potentially damaging allegations under the rug.

If college administrators decide to conduct parallel investigations and sanction or fire complicit or negligent employees, then that's within their purview.

Bringing criminal violations to light twenty years after the fact and/or treating them as civil matters isn't an effective way to deal with abusive folks in positions of authority.
The only problem might be the Sheriff or Chief of the local police force might be getting tickets, etc. State people too for the big programs.
It may be a coincidence, but all four of the major cases mentioned are B1G schools: Pa St., the Ohio St. Univ., Michigan and Michigan St. Must be something about that conference........

Reaction Score

There are a million reasons why victims largely don’t report these issues (and just BTW, the victim in this specific instance was 10, abused by an authority figure, and was allegedly told not to do anything about it by his own father). Maybe responsible adults in a position of authority should be held accountable for not doing what a rational adult would do and reporting this to the proper authorities and ensuring it gets resolved. Sort of hard to take your position seriously when in this instance and the JoePa situation, the coach knew what was going on and continued to allow access to potential victims for years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's better than ignoring it 20 years later. Joe Paterno's name is rightfully soiled for good, that has to be some disincentive. And I have a novel idea for you, stop blaming the victims.

Reaction Score
He'll be St JoePa 100 years from now. C'mon. At least in the eyes of society. In case we forgot, Columbus discovered America.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom