Matt Garry’s Rudy moment | The Boneyard

Matt Garry’s Rudy moment

Reaction Score
What a surreal environment and setup at the end of the game today. Not sure if they mentioned this on tv, 500 people from Southington and/or friends and family of Matt Garry were in attendance.

Everything was storybook in its unfolding, Huge chants of Garry starting at the 10 minute mark, Hurley finally inserts him with a few minutes left. Kid makes two assertive moves to the hole, fouled twice and missed ALL four free throw attempts. His stroke looked good, must have just been so nervous.

Hope he gets another shot but with conference play starting soon this was his golden opportunity. In any event, seated close to the court, this was one of the cooler thngs I’ve witnessed, and felt like a movie. Great to be a part of, glad the kid got his brief moment in the sun.

Reaction Score
What a surreal environment and setup at the end of the game today. Not sure if they mentioned this on tv, 500 people from Southington and/or friends and family of Matt Garry were in attendance.

Everything was storybook in its unfolding, Huge chants of Garry starting at the 10 minute mark, Hurley finally inserts him with a few minutes left. Kid makes two assertive moves to the hole, fouled twice and missed ALL four free throw attempts. His stroke looked good, must have just been so nervous.

Hope he gets another shot but with conference play starting soon this was his golden opportunity. In any event, seated close to the court, this was one of the cooler thngs I’ve witnessed, and felt like a movie. Great to be a part of, glad the kid got his brief moment in the sun.

The crowd and the team were all behind him and one of the free throws was halfway down. His first points will be even sweeter due to the wait.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why this event was set up? Is this going to be a thing going forward? I don't recall such an event being done before for anyone else, let alone a freshman in the middle of a season. I love the idea, just wondering about the impetus and future plans.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why this event was set up? Is this going to be a thing going forward? I don't recall such an event being done before for anyone else, let alone a freshman in the middle of a season. I love the idea, just wondering about the impetus and future plans.
I think he’s a sophomore, and pretty sure it was geared towards a “homegrown husky” theme. Being he’s the only husky from Connecticut it was all geared towards him.

Reaction Score
Was explaining to someone I was with who he was when they showed his video.

Me: "He's a walk-on from CT, etc."
Them: "So he's like Rudy from the movie."
Me: "Well not really. He's a decent walk-on, but just a guy."
*As soon as I say that the entire crowd chants his name VERY loudly.*
Me: Yeah I guess he is kinda like Rudy lol.

Reaction Score
I don't go to many games anymore but way back in the day I remember the crowd chanting "Kibbe! Kibbe!" Nothing organized, just a chant for a regular guy. Just googled Karsten and found this great gem.

Reaction Score

Hurley mentioned in the post game that with the attention the poor kid was hyperventilating at the line. Breathing is essential for making FT’s

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it's getting out of hand. Loudest cheers for a walkon while the guys who delivered the 20pt win get shuffled to the bench? Not a good look IMO.

Cheer when a walk on makes a basket. Chant for them to play when a game is out of hand. Let's cool it with the Rudy nonsense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To be clear, as a fellow Gen X'r (which I assume you are from your user name), I'm hoping you find Boomers AND Millennials equally annoying.
Actually, I associate more closely with boomers and my comment was tongue-in-cheek because it was the perfect opportunity for it.

Depending on where you draw the line, I am either the last year of boomer or the first year of millennial. I was born in 1966 but I am the youngest in a large family and have been shaped more by boomer culture. But I can be annoyed by--and annoying to--either equally.

So, I guess my answer is yes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't go to many games anymore but way back in the day I remember the crowd chanting "Kibbe! Kibbe!" Nothing organized, just a chant for a regular guy. Just googled Karsten and found this great gem.

Excellent article!
Thank you.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The guy had his chance. Next!

Exactly. His poor practice habits for shooting FT's almost cost a bunch of people real money by letting NJIT get a back door cover. If these walk-ons want to showboat for their "fans" and goof off and disrespect the game, leave 'em at home. They can shine at midnight madness in October.

(I say this in jest. Mostly. Not really. Kinda. Not sure)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Garry? Pssh! I mean he takes two questionable drives to the basket, can't finish and then can't make the free throws? Was he even looking to dish off on those drives? I am so sick of this Garry hero ball crap!

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Garry? Pssh! I mean he takes two questionable drives to the basket, can't finish and then can't make the free throws? Was he even look to dish off of those drives? I am so sick of this Garry hero ball crap!

Coaching staffs are known to break down tape of each player to show their best plays and their worst. I think Garry was accidentally given AG's worst tape, thought it was AG's best tape and thought he was supposed to study it just like a good understudy does.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
OK boomer.
I gave this a like. Im
sort of a boomer (technically 7mos too old) but if ever a “boomer” was truly deserved, that was it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Actually, I associate more closely with boomers and my comment was tongue-in-cheek because it was the perfect opportunity for it.

Depending on where you draw the line, I am either the last year of boomer or the first year of millennial. I was born in 1966 but I am the youngest in a large family and have been shaped more by boomer culture. But I can be annoyed by--and annoying to--either equally.

So, I guess my answer is yes.

OK Boomer.

Born in 1966 and wants to call himself a Millenial. You definitely fit the entitlement mentality of a Boomer with the sensitivity of a Milenial.

Signed,

Gen X.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OK boomer.

Nope. Same as you 1988-1993. As a proto Gen-Xr, I can see you lack the disinterested cynicism of our brand. Maybe the everyone gets a trophy Millennials will take you.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom